Tablet Battery

Al Azar

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Mojave Desert
The battery in my Nexus 10 is getting weaker and weaker. I'm thinking of having it replaced. I've noticed that even if I use it plugged in, the battery drains. That suggests to me that if the battery fails, the charger does not provide enough power for it to function on the charger alone.

I checked online and batteries are now available (they weren't six months ago) - Amazon, Ebay, etc. I called a local shop and the fellow there said he'd replace it for $135 with a Samsung battery. Those run $50 - $80 online so considering the expertise involved in the labor, I guess that's fair.

Two questions:

1) Does this repair sound OK for replacing the battery in a $450 device, and

2) since this model came out, there are newer 10" tablets that cost less than this one did. Should I consider a new tablet instead? I can't think of any new features I need - I'm happy with the N10 - and as far as I know everything but the battery still works fine.

The battery in my Nexus 10 is getting weaker and weaker. I'm thinking of having it replaced. I've noticed that even if I use it plugged in, the battery drains. That suggests to me that if the battery fails, the charger does not provide enough power for it to function on the charger alone.

I checked online and batteries are now available (they weren't six months ago) - Amazon, Ebay, etc. I called a local shop and the fellow there said he'd replace it for $135 with a Samsung battery. Those run $50 - $80 online so considering the expertise involved in the labor, I guess that's fair.

Two questions:

2) since this model came out, there are newer 10" tablets that cost less than this one did. Should I consider a new tablet instead? I can't think of any new features I need - I'm happy with the N10 - and as far as I know everything but the battery still works fine.
I just got an Elipsis 10 for videos and am damn happy with it. 300 dollars and one year warranty on the machine and battery. Using it plugged in should not be hurting it. Have you checked the output on your charger?

Two questions:

I just got an Elipsis 10 for videos and am damn happy with it. 300 dollars and one year warranty on the machine and battery. Using it plugged in should not be hurting it. Have you checked the output on your charger?
I have not. I have a multimeter. What pins do I check?

The battery drops to zero if it falls below about 40%. I can fire it back up on the charger, but I have to let it rest frequently.

i think the charger is crap and that's your problem - but your tablet isn't worth the cost of the battery replacement.

the nexus 10 uses a micro usb, right? just use a different charger and cable

i think the charger is crap and that's your problem - but your tablet isn't worth the cost of the battery replacement.

OK, worth a try. I'll switch chargers and see if I can run the tablet on it after the battery suddenly drops to zero.

You know, not only has the tablet itself evolved and become better, but so have the batteries, because they are working longer now.

Might be worth it to invest in a new one and get a 1 year warranty on it.

You know, not only has the tablet itself evolved and become better, but so have the batteries, because they are working longer now.

Might be worth it to invest in a new one and get a 1 year warranty on it.
Thanks. The original battery failed within 90 days and Samsung replaced it. This one has lasted three years. If I can get longer life out of a newer battery design, I'm interested.

OK, worth a try. I'll switch chargers and see if I can run the tablet on it after the battery suddenly drops to zero.
Minutes later, with maybe 50%, it dropped to zero. It's charging on a different charger now and is showing a constant 0% charge, so at least the charger is powering it enough to function while plugged in. The display is occasionally flashing brightly so it's not happy.

Just buy a new one. Technology has grown by leaps and bounds withen the past three years. Check out eBay I've gotten some really good deals there.

Planned obsolescence. These tablets and phones are junk, not built to last.

Well, this isn't good. The battery isn't accepting the charge.

You're beating a dead horse.........
May be. I went back to my old charger and it began charging. Apparently the charger for my wife's Nexus 4 has a different (lesser) current output for that device and was insufficient to charge my tablet fast enough to register in the time I allowed.

Testing charger output with a multimeter appears to be a chore. I found an app (Ampere) that is supposed to do it, and more. I'm on the PC right now but when I get to the tablet I'll give it a try.

I don't think there's anything wrong with my normal charger. I know that the battery is bad because once it reaches a certain point of discharge, between 40% and 50%, it drops instantly to zero and shuts off the device.

If I replace the Samsung battery I should be good for another three years. If I buy a new tablet, it would cost two or three times as much and might last, what, four years? By then I'd need another new tablet just because of tech progress. I'm beginning to think battery replacement is the better choice until I feel I need a new tablet.

In any event, discussing the issue here has helped me understand my options better. Thanks to those who seriously participated.

Nexus 10 came out in 2012. a "new" on is one the market for approx 80 bucks.

Try to trade it i on a new tablet like a Samsung s2 and see what you can get.

Just a thought.

Nexus 10 came out in 2012. a "new" on is one the market for approx 80 bucks.

Try to trade it i on a new tablet like a Samsung s2 and see what you can get.

Just a thought.
"...a 'new' on is one the market for approx 80 bucks."

I'm not sure what that sentence means.

I bought my N10 in Feb '13.

How does one trade in an N10 for a new Samsung Tab S2?

Forum List

Back