"Swatting" prank turns deadly..............

My youngest son plays Call of Duty(sounds like a terlit being released) so I won't answer the door when the cops come.. I just let ten dogs lose to welcome them..
I know it isn't feasible for everyone; but having a fenced gate to greet visitors will give you a buffer to identify people coming to your door. If nothing else there are cheap cameras one can put on their front door, so you can see who's there without ever approaching the door. And everyone regardless of their situation should implement a way to see who's at the door before ever opening it. These are the times we live in...
I make sure my drive is only accessible to all terrain vehicles to deter visitors..

My youngest son plays Call of Duty(sounds like a terlit being released) so I won't answer the door when the cops come.. I just let ten dogs lose to welcome them..
I know it isn't feasible for everyone; but having a fenced gate to greet visitors will give you a buffer to identify people coming to your door. If nothing else there are cheap cameras one can put on their front door, so you can see who's there without ever approaching the door. And everyone regardless of their situation should implement a way to see who's at the door before ever opening it. These are the times we live in...

i got a couple of dogs that say

identify yourself or else

--LOL
As do I, and an excellent choice.

How do you know what position the police were in when he opened the door?

It doesn't matter.

If police had put themselves in a position where it was necessary to shoot an unarmed man for opening his front door, then something about their police procedures is totally screwed up to the point of criminal negligence.

This can't be made justifiable. They shot an unarmed innocent man for opening his front door. Whether his hands ever got near his waist is not relevant. They _still_ shot an unarmed innocent man for opening his front door. Under no circumstances can such a thing ever be blamed on the victim.

How do you know what position the police were in when he opened the door?

It doesn't matter.

If police had put themselves in a position where it was necessary to shoot an unarmed man for opening his front door, then something about their police procedures is totally screwed up to the point of criminal negligence.

This can't be made justifiable. They shot an unarmed innocent man for opening his front door. Whether his hands ever got near his waist is not relevant. They _still_ shot an unarmed innocent man for opening his front door. Under no circumstances can such a thing ever be blamed on the victim.

You, sir or ma'am, are an idiot.

We've had our share of guys having a meltdown who were waving a gun around and threatening to shoot up the family, the cops, themselves. It always ends up with a long drawn out hostage type situation with the neighbors being evacuated and police surrounding the house, some SWAT, some not, and 99 times out of 100 no one gets hurt, including the guy having a meltdown. It can go on for hours--even a day, sometimes. Maybe the Maine State Police need to go train some police elsewhere?

They have a video of the shooting, and the police were more than 100 feet away when firing. How could they have possibly ever been in danger from someone just moving his arms?

Man shot dead by police in suspected 'swatting' prank | Daily Mail Online

Where did you get the 100 feet away? There is an officer standing to the left on the sidewalk in front of the house, with his gun raised.

After enlarging the video, I see it now. Looks like he was trying to raise his hands.

I want to know what went into recon, and threat assessment prior to the team announcing themselves...

I want to know what went into recon, and threat assessment prior to the team announcing themselves...

I don't believe they announced themselves. He came out on his own.
He just had a sneaking suspicion that he should go to the front door, and open it?

Read the articles that are linked. He heard something and went to investigate. If a car door slams outside and my dogs go nuts, I check it out!

He just had a sneaking suspicion that he should go to the front door, and open it?
If so... are you suggesting that he surprised the SWAT team?

I honestly don't believe there was a SWAT team there. I think he surprised the officers responding to the 911 call at his address.

If so... are you suggesting that he surprised the SWAT team?

I honestly don't believe there was a SWAT team there. I think he surprised the officers responding to the 911 call at his address.
And that’s where the problem begins for a “clean shoot “ defense...

there's more to it than just opening the door
..I've always wondered what you should do if armed men--police-- break in to your house?

there's more to it than just opening the door
..I've always wondered what you should do if armed men--police-- break in to your house?
1. Make sure it takes them time.
2. Make sure you have a way out.
3. If no way out is available... make it costly.

Forum List

Back