Surviving Apollo Astronauts Pose for 50th Anniversary- Go Buzz!

One of mans greatest accomplishments

Wouldn't that go to Goddard and space travel? Soon, regular people will be able to go to the moon or into space due to Jeff Bezos.

Goddard never went to the moon

If Bezos ever lands on the moon it will be acknowledged that it had been done over 50 years before

To be fair Wernher Von Braun was more responsible for them getting to the moon, as the main architect of the Saturn V rocket.
Yup. He had more technology to get to Mars but the idiot govt turned him down so he vanished. Guess where those plans are today ? ( Hint Hint-----young extremely rich intelligent pothead)

Good stuff, but NASA says they only have enough fuel for the trip there. It sounds as if the trip back will be longer as they'll have to circle around Mars before heading towards Earth.

Not just that but Mars gravity is a lot stronger than the moon, so would need a much bigger rocket to get off the planet as well. Which means launching something a lot bigger if the plan wasn't just to send them on a suicide mission that wouldn't be likely to last planetside too long.

The other issue was the shielding for those astronauts. I remember there was a solar flare sometime during the Apollo program where lots of scientists believed if astronauts had been on the moon at the time or in transit they would not have survived.

Feel sorry for Buzz

image-placeholder-title.jpg

Why? He was the second man, but I think he was the first man to take communion on the moon and Jesus ♥ the moon. Feel sorry for the forgotten third man, what's his name again?
Michael Collins

That's right. I was thinking Francis Collins, but that's not it. Do you know why he didn't walk on the moon? Only Armstrong and Aldrin did.
Somebody had to fly the command module

That's right. He's the pilot and he's forgotten while the tourist passengers walk around and end up on MTV as icons to a generation. It's why while the moon landing was an important part of space history, it's a bit overrated. Now it's landing and walking on Mars by 2025.

Wouldn't that go to Goddard and space travel? Soon, regular people will be able to go to the moon or into space due to Jeff Bezos.

If Bezos ever lands on the moon it will be acknowledged that it had been done over 50 years before

To be fair Wernher Von Braun was more responsible for them getting to the moon, as the main architect of the Saturn V rocket.
Yup. He had more technology to get to Mars but the idiot govt turned him down so he vanished. Guess where those plans are today ? ( Hint Hint-----young extremely rich intelligent pothead)

Good stuff, but NASA says they only have enough fuel for the trip there. It sounds as if the trip back will be longer as they'll have to circle around Mars before heading towards Earth.

Not just that but Mars gravity is a lot stronger than the moon, so would need a much bigger rocket to get off the planet as well. Which means launching something a lot bigger if the plan wasn't just to send them on a suicide mission that wouldn't be likely to last planetside too long.

The other issue was the shielding for those astronauts. I remember there was a solar flare sometime during the Apollo program where lots of scientists believed if astronauts had been on the moon at the time or in transit they would not have survived.

Yup. Mars is very harsh with stronger gravity, no magnetic field, no ozone layer and a very rocky surface. They could crash upon landing. It's a dangerous landing and take off even if they make it there in a timely manner. Elon Musk sent his own red Tesla there. I wonder if it's gonna make it in one piece?

Feel sorry for Buzz

image-placeholder-title.jpg

Why? He was the second man, but I think he was the first man to take communion on the moon and Jesus ♥ the moon. Feel sorry for the forgotten third man, what's his name again?
Michael Collins

That's right. I was thinking Francis Collins, but that's not it. Do you know why he didn't walk on the moon? Only Armstrong and Aldrin did.
Somebody had to fly the command module

That's right. He's the pilot and he's forgotten while the tourist passengers walk around and end up on MTV as icons to a generation. It's why while the moon landing was an important part of space history, it's a bit overrated. Now it's landing and walking on Mars by 2025.
Hardly overrated

Hardly overrated

And what about God's greatest S&T accomplishments? Are they overrated?

Show some

Ask your hero...

"Communion on the Moon - Buzz Aldrin
by Bill Carrell

Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin were the first men to walk on the moon in the Apollo 11 space mission. Michael Collins third member of the group, was in charge of the command module, essential for their return to earth, which circled the moon while Armstrong and Aldrin landed. The moon lander touched down at 3:17 Eastern Standard Time, Sunday, July 20, 1969.

Aldrin had brought with him a tiny communion kit, given him by his church, that had a silver chalice and wine vial about the size of the tip of his finger. During the morning he radioed, "Houston, this is Eagle. This is the LM pilot speaking. I would like to request a few moments of silence. I would like to invite each person listening in, whoever or wherever he may be, to contemplate for a moment the events of the last few hours, and to give thanks in his own individual way."

"In the radio blackout," he wrote later, "I opened the little plastic packages which contained the bread and the wine. I poured the wine into the chalice our church had given me. In the one-sixth gravity of the moon, the wine slowly curled and gracefully came up the side of the cup. Then I read the Scripture, 'I am the vine, you are the branches. Whosoever abides in me will bring forth much fruit.' I had intended to read my communion passage back to earth, but at the last minute Deke Slayton had requested that I not do this. NASA was already embroiled in a legal battle with Madelyn Murray O'Hare, the celebrated opponent of religion, over the Apollo 8 crew reading from Genesis while orbiting the moon at Christmas. I agreed reluctantly..." "Eagle's metal body creaked. I ate the tiny Host and swallowed the wine. I gave thanks for the intelligence and spirit that had brought two young pilots to the Sea of Tranquility. It was interesting for me to think: the very first liquid ever poured on the moon, and the very first food eaten there, were the communion elements."

Communion on the Moon - Buzz Aldrin

Hardly overrated

Show some

Ask your hero...

by Bill Carrell

Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin were the first men to walk on the moon in the Apollo 11 space mission. Michael Collins third member of the group, was in charge of the command module, essential for their return to earth, which circled the moon while Armstrong and Aldrin landed. The moon lander touched down at 3:17 Eastern Standard Time, Sunday, July 20, 1969.

Aldrin had brought with him a tiny communion kit, given him by his church, that had a silver chalice and wine vial about the size of the tip of his finger. During the morning he radioed, "Houston, this is Eagle. This is the LM pilot speaking. I would like to request a few moments of silence. I would like to invite each person listening in, whoever or wherever he may be, to contemplate for a moment the events of the last few hours, and to give thanks in his own individual way."

"In the radio blackout," he wrote later, "I opened the little plastic packages which contained the bread and the wine. I poured the wine into the chalice our church had given me. In the one-sixth gravity of the moon, the wine slowly curled and gracefully came up the side of the cup. Then I read the Scripture, 'I am the vine, you are the branches. Whosoever abides in me will bring forth much fruit.' I had intended to read my communion passage back to earth, but at the last minute Deke Slayton had requested that I not do this. NASA was already embroiled in a legal battle with Madelyn Murray O'Hare, the celebrated opponent of religion, over the Apollo 8 crew reading from Genesis while orbiting the moon at Christmas. I agreed reluctantly..." "Eagle's metal body creaked. I ate the tiny Host and swallowed the wine. I gave thanks for the intelligence and spirit that had brought two young pilots to the Sea of Tranquility. It was interesting for me to think: the very first liquid ever poured on the moon, and the very first food eaten there, were the communion elements."

Astronauts are allowed to have any religious values they want .....doesn't get them to the moon

Buzz still looks great

Not many left who walked on the moon

I'm not saying it wasn't important, but it's overrated.
Are you fucking kidding me?

I mean it was a huge deal for the time, big accomplishment and the moon is very important to Earth (we probably can't live without it), but in terms of colonizing the moon and finding what's there we found that it's really not a destination. No other country has gone there even though they say they have plans to do so. I don't think we can colonize it or it will be difficult and too expensive.
We should send some rovers to the moon.
It would also be cool to have live video of the Earth from the Moon.

What would be the difference in live video and a still photo unless you were watching for hours?

They were great actors
From Buzz Aldrins greatest hits:

Buzz is a bad ass

They all were.

All done with less computing power of an iPhone.

Actually, that comparison is an exaggeration in itself. The computing power was much less than a cell phone. More like a Commodore 64 I had in the early 80s. The IBM PC had 8 times the computing power of the Apollo computer.

Yup. Mars is very harsh with stronger gravity, no magnetic field, no ozone layer and a very rocky surface. They could crash upon landing. It's a dangerous landing and take off even if they make it there in a timely manner. Elon Musk sent his own red Tesla there. I wonder if it's gonna make it in one piece?

Musk's Tesla did not go to Mars.

Where Is Starman? Track Elon Musk's Roadster as It Zooms Through Space

They were great actors

Buzz is a bad ass

They all were.

Actually, that comparison is an exaggeration in itself. The computing power was much less than a cell phone. More like a Commodore 64 I had in the early 80s. The IBM PC had 8 times the computing power of the Apollo computer.

Some years ago I read that the computer system had less power then a hand held calculator people purchased near the same time. The ones that did math computations. Man power doing the calculating using the primitive computers as a tool was the major movement of getting us to the moon.

Buzz is a bad ass

They all were.

Some years ago I read that the computer system had less power then a hand held calculator people purchased near the same time. The ones that did math computations. Man power doing the calculating using the primitive computers as a tool was the major movement of getting us to the moon.

A PlayStation 3 has more computing power than the worlds most advanced super computer in 1974.

Hardly overrated

Show some

Ask your hero...

by Bill Carrell

Astronauts are allowed to have any religious values they want .....doesn't get them to the moon
But just so happened that every human to orbit and walk on the moon was a Christian.

Musk's Tesla did not go to Mars.

Where Is Starman? Track Elon Musk's Roadster as It Zooms Through Space

Originally that website wrote his Tesla was going to Mars as clickbait. It's mission is to orbit Mars, Earth and sun which is what Musk said. Popular Mechanics corrected it and did a better article -- Elon Musk's Space Tesla Isn't Going to Mars. It's Going Somewhere More Important..

Forum List

Back