Suicide

This morning I intervened to prevent a friend of ours committing suicide. To shorten long complicated story, we and paramedics all ended up at the hospital.

The friend of ours, was shouting all sorts of abuse at us and the paramedics and then the nurses at hospital for having no right to intervene when they wanted to commit suicide and that it's their right to kill themselves if they want to.

I agree that everyone has right to self-determination and that it's your life, if you want to end it that's your right to do so.

However, this belief of mine went out of window, as I just didn't want a friend to kill themselves, because I'd never forgive myself for having NOT intervened and well I'd miss them.

So I feel like crap now, maybe I should have let them go, I don't know.

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem

and you know it is temporary because?

Remember you are over here, your friend is over there. Try getting out in nature, the enjoyment of a warm shower. Any small activity that is normally pleasurable for you. Look around the room and make visual contact with any brightly colored object.

Kid A senses that Mama not her usual self, he has not moved from me since we got home and is basically following me around, he's such a charmer and a sweetheart.
Hug the hell out of the kid. It's ok to tell him Mama is sad, and it's not his fault, AND you will get back to yourself soon.

This morning I intervened to prevent a friend of ours committing suicide. To shorten long complicated story, we and paramedics all ended up at the hospital.

The friend of ours, was shouting all sorts of abuse at us and the paramedics and then the nurses at hospital for having no right to intervene when they wanted to commit suicide and that it's their right to kill themselves if they want to.

I agree that everyone has right to self-determination and that it's your life, if you want to end it that's your right to do so.

However, this belief of mine went out of window, as I just didn't want a friend to kill themselves, because I'd never forgive myself for having NOT intervened and well I'd miss them.

Sounds to me like he was looking for someone to stop him.

If he was really determined, you wouldn't have known til the body was discovered

Oddly I went to their house and they didn't answer door or phone and I just felt something not right....without elaborating, we got into house and found them on verge of harming themselves.

Get some physical contact from a loved one. Hugs. Make love. Reminders of life. Watch children play. Massage.

I just hope our friend understands, right now they aren't in right mind, when they get sort of with the programme again, I hope they understand why I needed to do what I needed to do.
Was your friend psych hospitalized? I hope so.

Suicide of a loved one is the worst experience I've ever had. I lost my dad to suicide. He was like a runaway train.
I lost my mom in 1976...it can really effect so many life's in a negative way.

Lucy, you did the right thing...This friend of yours will now be assessed by professionals, maybe put on a medication that their brain is lacking. You are right , you would never forgive yourself...Now you know that you did everything you can,no matter what the outcome is.

:itsok:

If he was really determined, you wouldn't have known til the body was discovered

Oddly I went to their house and they didn't answer door or phone and I just felt something not right....without elaborating, we got into house and found them on verge of harming themselves.
Very scary experience. You are traumatized. It's ok. You will be ok, in time. You kind of have to just acknowledge how shook up you are, and how you almost lost your friend. AND you may lose your friend later.

Hopefully, your friend can be helped. You did a great job.

I personally believe we are all appointed a time. Most don't.
I believe that also...
Interestingly, I read it somewhere that certain people before they are entrusted with certain responsibilities have to take an oath/promise that when their appointed time comes they would go...

Hmmmm I don't remember that... ;)

Suicide of a loved one is the worst experience I've ever had. I lost my dad to suicide. He was like a runaway train.
I lost my mom in 1976...it can really effect so many life's in a negative way.

Lucy, you did the right thing...This friend of yours will now be assessed by professionals, maybe put on a medication that their brain is lacking. You are right , you would never forgive yourself...Now you know that you did everything you can,no matter what the outcome is.

:itsok:

My father's death helped me realize the RCC wasn't a spiritual resource for me. I found my way to Buddhism because of the pain of losing my dad. I dedicate all goodness from that practice to him and to freeing all beings who suffer.

Ok I will tell you...its creepy

My neighbors of 18 years were having family issues and the wife left the husband...A couple weeks later the father murdered the son for revenge....And I found them by mistake...:omg:

They were really really wealthy, so the news hit everywhere.

The son had fought cancer and won 2 times..

There is a movie about it, they wanted to interview me but I said no, because it was for their own profit..

I have to look at that house everyday..And it wasn't for his cancer..he killed him for revenge..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/03/behind-mansion-walls-father-murder-suicide-cancer-
video_n_1736025.html

You did the right thing..

Goes without saying you did the right thing. If they want to go they will do at another time. I get the downer, adrenaline stops pumping like crazy, take solace in that you went above and beyond with this person.

My neighbors of 18 years were having family issues and the wife left the husband...A couple weeks later the father murdered the son for revenge....And I found them by mistake...:omg:

There is a movie about it, they wanted to interview me but I said no, because it was for their own profit..

I have to look at that house everyday..And it wasn't for his cancer..he killed him for revenge..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/03/behind-mansion-walls-father-murder-suicide-cancer-
video_n_1736025.html

Here is the video of the movie that made of my neighbors...so sad...... and they have me dressed with a tiger shirt on...I would never wear a tiger shirt..lol .

Fuck 'em. A suicidal person is usually not in his or her full mental capacity. More than likely six months down the road this person will recognize that you saved their life and will be immeasurably grateful for it.

Get some physical contact from a loved one. Hugs. Make love. Reminders of life. Watch children play. Massage.

I just hope our friend understands, right now they aren't in right mind, when they get sort of with the programme again, I hope they understand why I needed to do what I needed to do.
Was your friend psych hospitalized? I hope so.

Yes they are now in what they refer to as a Secure Unit in the hospital.

video_n_1736025.html

OMG how traumatising for you this must have been :smiliehug:

Nice sound bite, but it's a bit more complex than that for many people.

I agree...but it reflects the permanence of the solution while the problem may be short lived

I agree...but it reflects the permanence of the solution while the problem may be short lived

I agree, those who do commit suicide, it's impossible for them to have second chance at life. However, those who want to commit suicide, if given some pause for thought, might be able to be helped and thus get a second chance at life.

I agree, those who do commit suicide, it's impossible for them to have second chance at life. However, those who want to commit suicide, if given some pause for thought, might be able to be helped and thus get a second chance at life.

I have worked closely with three people who have committed suicide

Two were on anti-psychotic meds and they either stopped their meds or they got screwed up somehow
The third had just broken up in a relationship and was in an "if I die, you will cry" frame of mind

The first two may not have been preventable, the third definitely was

Two were on anti-psychotic meds and they either stopped their meds or they got screwed up somehow
The third had just broken up in a relationship and was in an "if I die, you will cry" frame of mind

Do you work in a mental hospital of some kind? What is weird about my neighbor killing his son was that night or a couple nights before the murder I was watering my front lawn on a hot summer eve...I could hear the dads tone, and he sounded really calm..He showed no signs of what he was about to do.
Don't you think when they get to the calm point, there is no stopping them? The hysterical point is treatable for some?

Do you work in a mental hospital of some kind? What is weird about my neighbor killing his son was that night or a couple nights before the murder I was watering my front lawn on a hot summer eve...I could hear the dads tone, and he sounded really calm..He showed no signs of what he was about to do.
Don't you think when they get to the calm point, there is no stopping them? The hysterical point is treatable for some?

Hard to say....with a gun it can be an instantaneous decision rather than something that had been brewing for some time.

You did the right thing. Just remember, Guno needs medical help, you might even say a whole team of psychiatrists to help. Even though there is no cure for him, perhaps he can be medicated into living a somewhat productive life.

Forum List

Back