Study- Why Your All-Electric Cars make the air Dirtier

These type of threads are generally THE WORST THREADS to try and have a decent discussion.

Its all steeped in an underlying right wing agenda and from my experience in dealing with that type of brainwashed nonesenc, they will NEVER step away from the "Volt hate."

hates volt really --LOL

i love electricity we converted our home to electric heat even

very clean cheap and dependable

when they invent a car that runs totally on electric

that can get over 350 miles on one charge that takes less then 10 minutes to cycle

i would be all in on one

Yes, Volt hate. The Internet is filled with hate for GMs " commie car."

oh that volt

it sucks there are better choices then that

The Chevy Volt sucks because you heard that it did.

Ask Jay Leno what he thinks.

no it sucks because it can not even make it on all electric

one way to work

then it turns into another gas guzzler

when an electric car or truck can go 350 miles on one charge

and can be recharged in ten minutes or less

i am all for one

the 2015 volt only gets 38 miles on electric

and it takes 10 - 16 hours charge to get that

and when it is running strictly on gas

it gets maybe 40 miles to the gallon

my 2010 cobalt gets 42 highway

2015 Volt Electric Cars - Hybrid Cars Chevrolet

I have lived a good part of my life where most of the electricity is generated by hydro-electric plants. So the supposition "People who own all-electric cars where coal generates the power..." is a caveat that does not necessarily condemn all EVs..

Also, the fact that 80k fewer cars per year are putting out exhaust fumes and burning gasoline is the plus. The pollution caused by generating the electricity is the next problem to be solved. But the main advantage is getting off oil, especially imported oil. The rate we are burning through it is certainly not sustainable.

I have spent most of my working life driving trucks. I love a good truck. But that doesn't mean I don't also lust for a Tesla in my garage.
Take your Tesla on a trip from Seattle to Miami or from Boston to San Diego. I will do the same in my Sienna. I guarantee I will get to my destination before you because I will have a reliable source to continue my trip every time my tank is empty, now and in the foreseeable future.

You with your Tesla? Not so much.

Yes, you will get there faster. But what will you spend on gas?

Mapquest says Seattle to Miami is 3,356 miles. Boston to San Diego is 3050 miles. If you get 25 mpg, and the current average is $2.52 per gal (per AAA), you will spend $338 and $307 respectively, for the two trips.

Tesla now has the supercharging stations in enough places to make these trips possible. Yes, you have to stop and charge. But the cost to the driver of the Tesla? Nada, zip, zilch, and $0.00.

And when was the last time you drove from Seattle to Miami? How many times have you done it?

The Tesla Supercharging stations can give you 170 miles of range in 30 mins. If you average 80 mph, you'll need to stop every 2.1 hrs to recharge for 30 mins.

In other words, every couple of hours you stop for 30 mins. And it is free!

If money isn't an issue, you can get there faster (once the battery swap feature is added to the stations).

I have lived a good part of my life where most of the electricity is generated by hydro-electric plants. So the supposition "People who own all-electric cars where coal generates the power..." is a caveat that does not necessarily condemn all EVs..

Also, the fact that 80k fewer cars per year are putting out exhaust fumes and burning gasoline is the plus. The pollution caused by generating the electricity is the next problem to be solved. But the main advantage is getting off oil, especially imported oil. The rate we are burning through it is certainly not sustainable.

I have spent most of my working life driving trucks. I love a good truck. But that doesn't mean I don't also lust for a Tesla in my garage.
Take your Tesla on a trip from Seattle to Miami or from Boston to San Diego. I will do the same in my Sienna. I guarantee I will get to my destination before you because I will have a reliable source to continue my trip every time my tank is empty, now and in the foreseeable future.

Mapquest says Seattle to Miami is 3,356 miles. Boston to San Diego is 3050 miles. If you get 25 mpg, and the current average is $2.52 per gal (per AAA), you will spend $338 and $307 respectively, for the two trips.

Tesla now has the supercharging stations in enough places to make these trips possible. Yes, you have to stop and charge. But the cost to the driver of the Tesla? Nada, zip, zilch, and $0.00.

And when was the last time you drove from Seattle to Miami? How many times have you done it?
Charging will be FREE????

I suppose, when you stop at one of those supercharging stations where everything is FREE, you will also have the proverbial free lunch.

BMW, I have done Vancouver to Homestead and I have driven in all fifty states. The two examples I cited were for purposes of discussion

Charging will be FREE????

Yep!

Supercharger Tesla Motors
"How much does it cost to use the Supercharger?
Supercharging is free for the life of Model S, once the Supercharger option is enabled."

I suppose, when you stop at one of those supercharging stations where everything is FREE, you will also have the proverbial free lunch.

BMW, I have done Vancouver to Homestead and I have driven in all fifty states. The two examples I cited were for purposes of discussion

The charging is free for the life of the Tesla Model S. No, it is not a free lunch situation. You spent a tidy chunk to buy the car. And this is obviously to get the Model S into more garages. But considering Tesla has offered all their patents up for use by anyone, I think they are not trying to rip you off.

The Tesla Supercharging stations can give you 170 miles of range in 30 mins. If you average 80 mph, you'll need to stop every 2.1 hrs to recharge for 30 mins.

If money isn't an issue, you can get there faster (once the battery swap feature is added to the stations).
I don't what your time is worth, but I would consider wasting 30 minutes every 10 miles a totally unnecessary waste. And the difference in price between my Sienna and your Tesla would generously cover the price of gasoline for the functional life of my Sienna.

On my first Sienna I managed to pile up enough miles to go around the world 9 times and only traded it in because I liked the looks of the 2013 Sienna. Costs of repairs in 12 years? Zero.

Sienna has a proven record of reliability. Tesla? Not yet.

I don't what your time is worth, but I would consider wasting 30 minutes every 170 miles a totally unnecessary waste. And the difference in price between my Sienna and your Tesla would generously cover the price of gasoline for the functional life of my Sienna.

On my first Sienna I managed to pile up enough miles to go around the world 9 times and only traded it in because I liked the looks of the 2013 Sienna. Costs of repairs in 12 years? Zero.

I don't what your time is worth, but I would consider wasting 30 minutes every 10 miles a totally unnecessary waste. And the difference in price between my Sienna and your Tesla would generously cover the price of gasoline for the functional life of my Sienna.

Every 10 miles? lol Facts don't matter much, do they?

Stopping for 30 mins every 2+ hours doesn't seem like a big deal to me. You save 25 mins or so and I save $10 (if you are getting 42 mpg). MSN Auto has the Toyota Sienna getting 25 mpg on the highway. So for the 170 miles you will spend 5 mins filling up, and it will cost you $17. I take 30 mins to walk around, stretch my legs, get a snack, ect ect, and spend nothing on fuel.

And this is strictly talking about long trips. The range for the Model S is between 200 and 265 (depending on the choices made when you buy). Most people don't drive more than that on a daily basis.

Stopping for 30 mins every 2+ hours doesn't seem like a big deal to me. You save 25 mins or so and I save $10 (if you are getting 42 mpg). MSN Auto has the Toyota Sienna getting 25 mpg on the highway. So for the 170 miles you will spend 5 mins filling up, and it will cost you $17. I take 30 mins to walk around, stretch my legs, get a snack, ect ect, and spend nothing on fuel.

And this is strictly talking about long trips. The range for the Model S is between 200 and 265 (depending on the choices made when you buy). Most people don't drive more than that on a daily basis.
Sorry, I missed the "7" between the 1 and the 0. When I noticed I corrected it. Be that as it may. Dispute the difference in cost, the reliability, the environmental impact between my Sienna and your Tesla. Keep in mind that since Tesla has no historical proof of its true worth politically correct babble will not sway me or any one else.

If 25 minutes of your time is only worth $10 how can you afford a Tesla?

Sorry, I missed the "7" between the 1 and the 0. When I noticed I corrected it. Be that as it may. Dispute the difference in cost, the reliability, the environmental impact between my Sienna and your Tesla. Keep in mind that since Tesla has no historical proof of its true worth politically correct babble will not sway me or any one else.

There is a waiting list for Teslas. So someone is swayed.

I am not trying to tell you to get rid of your Toyota. I started posting in this thread to shed the light of facts on the initial post.

No one vehicle will ever fit everyone. I would never get rid of my jeep for an EV. But I would LOVE to have one, nonetheless.

Add in the performance factor, the safety ratings and the fact that it is the first new car manufacturer in the US since Preston Tucker tried it in 1948, and you have a recipe that I can get behind.

Wind generates it's power at night when people are using it to charge their cars. This excessive night time wind energy would be dumped if it were not for electric cars storing it. Also natural gas is replacing dirty coal. This gas generates 3 times more useable energy when burned in a power plant vs wasting it in a natural gas powered car.

If 25 minutes of your time is only worth $10 how can you afford a Tesla?

I don't measure my entire life by the cost of hourly wages.

That I am spending 30 mins and no money, as opposed to you spending 5 mins and $17, is not the entire point of my buying a vehicle. Perhaps you drive 500 miles every day. I don't. Nor do the overwhelming majority of people.

If I charge my Tesla on off peak hours (in Atlanta) I pay $0.05 per kWh. If I use half the charge during the day, and charge it at night, I will spend $2.13 on electricity for 132 miles of driving. Since the average price of a gallon of gas (according to AAA) is $2.52, unless you get more than 132 mpg, the Tesla is saving a good deal of money. And doing so in a luxury car with amazing technology that does not burn a drop of oil. Plus I am doing my driving in a car that received one of the best gov't crash test ratings ever.

These type of threads are generally THE WORST THREADS to try and have a decent discussion.

Its all steeped in an underlying right wing agenda and from my experience in dealing with that type of brainwashed nonesenc, they will NEVER step away from the "Volt hate."

hates volt really --LOL

that can get over 350 miles on one charge that takes less then 10 minutes to cycle

i would be all in on one

oh that volt

one way to work

i am all for one

How far away do you work? Most people don't drive 40 miles one way. In fact, they drive less than 30 BOTH ways and no, It's not a "gas guzzler."

The Chevy volt gets a very respectable 37 mpg combined, how in the hell is that even close to a "gas guzzler?"

Normally, the electricity required for a full charge cost about $1.80 depending upon where you live.

This car does several things that benefit our country, number one is that assholes like Osama Bin Laden no longer get rich off of our dependence to foreign oil.

After two years of owning his Chevy Volt, Jay Leno still had half of the original tank of gas and over 11,000 miles.

Guys, you have to crawl before you can walk. The early years of any technology is always a hard sell.

Remember these?

images

hates volt really --LOL

i would be all in on one

oh that volt

one way to work

i am all for one

How far away do you work? Most people don't drive 40 miles one way. In fact, they drive less than 30 BOTH ways and no, It's not a "gas guzzler."

The Chevy volt gets a very respectable 37 mpg combined, how in the hell is that even close to a "gas guzzler?"

Normally, the electricity required for a full charge cost about $1.80 depending upon where you live.

This car does several things that benefit our country, number one is that assholes like Osama Bin Laden no longer get rich off of our dependence to foreign oil.

After two years of owning his Chevy Volt, Jay Leno still had half of the original tank of gas and over 11,000 miles.

i live in South Dakota i drive easily more then 40 miles one way

in this day and age 37 mpg is not that respectable

as i said earlier by 2010 cobalt gets 42 mph in the winter

right now it costs me less then six cents a mile

and

i dont have to wait 10 to 16 hours for a full charge

--LOL

Forum List

Back