Study- Why Your All-Electric Cars make the air Dirtier

These type of threads are generally THE WORST THREADS to try and have a decent discussion.

Its all steeped in an underlying right wing agenda and from my experience in dealing with that type of brainwashed nonesenc, they will NEVER step away from the "Volt hate."

hates volt really --LOL

i love electricity we converted our home to electric heat even

very clean cheap and dependable

when they invent a car that runs totally on electric

that can get over 350 miles on one charge that takes less then 10 minutes to cycle

i would be all in on one

Yes, Volt hate. The Internet is filled with hate for GMs " commie car."

We bought a Volt for my husband last year. It cost about 5 dollars a month to recharge it. He only uses the gas when he drives a long distance. He mostly drives on that electric charge.

I drive a Prius but my next car will probably be a Tesla.

These type of threads are generally THE WORST THREADS to try and have a decent discussion.

Its all steeped in an underlying right wing agenda and from my experience in dealing with that type of brainwashed nonesenc, they will NEVER step away from the "Volt hate."

hates volt really --LOL

i love electricity we converted our home to electric heat even

very clean cheap and dependable

when they invent a car that runs totally on electric

that can get over 350 miles on one charge that takes less then 10 minutes to cycle

i would be all in on one

oh that volt

it sucks there are better choices then that

No it doesn't suck. My husband drives a Volt. It's a very luxurious car and very fun to drive. It only costs about 5 dollars a month to recharge it.

My next car will be either a Tesla or a Nissan Leaf. I will probably get a Tesla since they have a farther driving range.

A very large amount of energy is needed to create the batteries and keep them charged as well.
Yup. And that 'energy' has a little byproduct: It's called pollution.
Where are the batteries made for the Tesla's? Why in China of course.
You know. The China that the fucking liars in BOBO's government claimed to have entered into a "historic agreement" with China for China to begin to possibly maybe start giving some thought to the vague notion of maybe reducing it's pollution starting in "about" 2030.
Note not a single fucking document was signed.
The U.S. and China Just Announced Important New Actions to Reduce Carbon Pollution The White House

Right, and combustion engines are so clean. How many gallons of oil are spilled in just oil leaks on streets and driveways all over the country?

modern combustion engines, when properly maintained, are EXTREMELY clean.

So are modern electric engines. And they do not require an oil change every 3k-5k miles. And do not burn fossil fuels.

Modern combustion engines don't require an oil change every 3k-5k miles either.

As for fossil fuels, is electricity generated by pixie dust?

Hey, I'm a fan of electric cars, in the proper time and place, but there is no reason to act like they are so superior to gasoline engines. They are not.

Much of the electricity in this country is generated by wind and hydro-electric plants. I am not saying electric cars are perfect. But I do think they are the future.

I have lived a good part of my life where most of the electricity is generated by hydro-electric plants. So the supposition "People who own all-electric cars where coal generates the power..." is a caveat that does not necessarily condemn all EVs..

Also, the fact that 80k fewer cars per year are putting out exhaust fumes and burning gasoline is the plus. The pollution caused by generating the electricity is the next problem to be solved. But the main advantage is getting off oil, especially imported oil. The rate we are burning through it is certainly not sustainable.

I have spent most of my working life driving trucks. I love a good truck. But that doesn't mean I don't also lust for a Tesla in my garage.
Take your Tesla on a trip from Seattle to Miami or from Boston to San Diego. I will do the same in my Sienna. I guarantee I will get to my destination before you because I will have a reliable source to continue my trip every time my tank is empty, now and in the foreseeable future.

You with your Tesla? Not so much.

Yes, you will get there faster. But what will you spend on gas?

Mapquest says Seattle to Miami is 3,356 miles. Boston to San Diego is 3050 miles. If you get 25 mpg, and the current average is $2.52 per gal (per AAA), you will spend $338 and $307 respectively, for the two trips.

Tesla now has the supercharging stations in enough places to make these trips possible. Yes, you have to stop and charge. But the cost to the driver of the Tesla? Nada, zip, zilch, and $0.00.

And when was the last time you drove from Seattle to Miami? How many times have you done it?
Charging will be FREE????

LOL, the biggest hoax of all, it will be "free"!

All that tax money being lost from gas tax, it won't take libs long to start dreaming up new ways to TAX drivers. They will basically start tolling drivers to pay for the roads, whether it be through tolls, or milage tax every time you register your car. They will also start charing for electric charging once everyone becomes dependant on it.

Only through massive subsodies are these electric cars even abtainable. They are NOT sustainable on their own.

I think for now that hybrids using GAS as their generators is by far the best and only sustainable technology for now.

I have lived a good part of my life where most of the electricity is generated by hydro-electric plants. So the supposition "People who own all-electric cars where coal generates the power..." is a caveat that does not necessarily condemn all EVs..

Also, the fact that 80k fewer cars per year are putting out exhaust fumes and burning gasoline is the plus. The pollution caused by generating the electricity is the next problem to be solved. But the main advantage is getting off oil, especially imported oil. The rate we are burning through it is certainly not sustainable.

I have spent most of my working life driving trucks. I love a good truck. But that doesn't mean I don't also lust for a Tesla in my garage.
Take your Tesla on a trip from Seattle to Miami or from Boston to San Diego. I will do the same in my Sienna. I guarantee I will get to my destination before you because I will have a reliable source to continue my trip every time my tank is empty, now and in the foreseeable future.

Mapquest says Seattle to Miami is 3,356 miles. Boston to San Diego is 3050 miles. If you get 25 mpg, and the current average is $2.52 per gal (per AAA), you will spend $338 and $307 respectively, for the two trips.

Tesla now has the supercharging stations in enough places to make these trips possible. Yes, you have to stop and charge. But the cost to the driver of the Tesla? Nada, zip, zilch, and $0.00.

And when was the last time you drove from Seattle to Miami? How many times have you done it?

There are charging stations all over the place here. Not just Tesla charging stations but for all electric cars. The stations are in parking lots of stores. It doesn't cost even one penny to charge your car in those stations.

So yes, it's free.

All that tax money being lost from gas tax, it won't take libs long to start dreaming up new ways to TAX drivers. They will basically start tolling drivers to pay for the roads, whether it be through tolls, or milage tax every time you register your car. They will also start charing for electric charging once everyone becomes dependant on it.

Only through massive subsodies are these electric cars even abtainable. They are NOT sustainable on their own.

I think for now that hybrids using GAS as their generators is by far the best and only sustainable technology for now.

What "subsidies?" Name one, go ahead, I'll wait.

There are charging stations all over the place here. Not just Tesla charging stations but for all electric cars. The stations are in parking lots of stores. It doesn't cost even one penny to charge your car in those stations.

So yes, it's free.

^ Not smart enough to realize that "someone else paid for it" doesn't mean free.

Yup. And that 'energy' has a little byproduct: It's called pollution.
Where are the batteries made for the Tesla's? Why in China of course.
You know. The China that the fucking liars in BOBO's government claimed to have entered into a "historic agreement" with China for China to begin to possibly maybe start giving some thought to the vague notion of maybe reducing it's pollution starting in "about" 2030.
Note not a single fucking document was signed.
The U.S. and China Just Announced Important New Actions to Reduce Carbon Pollution The White House

Right, and combustion engines are so clean. How many gallons of oil are spilled in just oil leaks on streets and driveways all over the country?

modern combustion engines, when properly maintained, are EXTREMELY clean.

So are modern electric engines. And they do not require an oil change every 3k-5k miles. And do not burn fossil fuels.

Modern combustion engines don't require an oil change every 3k-5k miles either.

As for fossil fuels, is electricity generated by pixie dust?

Hey, I'm a fan of electric cars, in the proper time and place, but there is no reason to act like they are so superior to gasoline engines. They are not.

Much of the electricity in this country is generated by wind and hydro-electric plants. I am not saying electric cars are perfect. But I do think they are the future.

certainly they are part of the future. That much is clear.

the odd thing is that they are actually the past as well. Many people forget that the electric car predates the ICE

oh that volt

The Chevy Volt sucks because you heard that it did.

Ask Jay Leno what he thinks.

no it sucks because it can not even make it on all electric

one way to work

then it turns into another gas guzzler

when an electric car or truck can go 350 miles on one charge

and can be recharged in ten minutes or less

i am all for one

the 2015 volt only gets 38 miles on electric

and it takes 10 - 16 hours charge to get that

and when it is running strictly on gas

it gets maybe 40 miles to the gallon

my 2010 cobalt gets 42 highway

2015 Volt Electric Cars - Hybrid Cars Chevrolet

How far away do you work? Most people don't drive 40 miles one way. In fact, they drive less than 30 BOTH ways and no, It's not a "gas guzzler."

The Chevy volt gets a very respectable 37 mpg combined, how in the hell is that even close to a "gas guzzler?"

Normally, the electricity required for a full charge cost about $1.80 depending upon where you live.

This car does several things that benefit our country, number one is that assholes like Osama Bin Laden no longer get rich off of our dependence to foreign oil.

After two years of owning his Chevy Volt, Jay Leno still had half of the original tank of gas and over 11,000 miles.

i live in South Dakota i drive easily more then 40 miles one way

in this day and age 37 mpg is not that respectable

as i said earlier by 2010 cobalt gets 42 mph in the winter

right now it costs me less then six cents a mile

and

i dont have to wait 10 to 16 hours for a full charge

--LOL

^^^ You are NOT a good fit for this vehicle, then.

That doesn't mean that it "sucks," it means that you would be better suited with something else.

So yes, it's free.

^ Not smart enough to realize that "someone else paid for it" doesn't mean free.

It's free to whoever uses those stations. So yes it's free.

You just don't like the fact that it's free for those who use electric cars. The people of my state support alternative energy and cars that don't use gas. The people who own those stores are very happy to pay for those stations. Since we have the third lowest electric rates in the nation, it's not that expensive to supply electricity to those cars.

You can whine all you want but it won't make the fact that it's free a lie.

Do you know where the electricity comes from or who pays for it?

Electric car manufacturers pay the lions share, the rest is picked up by businesses who wish to draw customers.

And passed along in the initial purchase of the vehicle.

Two Ford Focus's one is $19K and the other is $30K. Difference? One is gasoline and the other is electric.

Electric isn't free. By any means.

So yes, it's free.

It's free to whoever uses those stations. So yes it's free.

You just don't like the fact that it's free for those who use electric cars. The people of my state support alternative energy and cars that don't use gas. We are very happy to pay for those stations. Since we have the third lowest electric rates in the nation, it's not that expensive to supply electricity to those cars.

You can whine all you want but it won't make the fact that it's free a lie.

Who's whining dumb dumb? It's called accuracy. Which you NEVER are.

The electric stations are not free,they are free to the USER

Environmental Information for SMECO’s
Standard Offer Service (As of 2013)

The following environmental information is for Standard Offer Service. The data are published at the request of the Maryland Public Service Commission and are based on regional averages. Since the data are PJM Interconnection (the regional transmission organization) wholesale market averages, the SMECO-specific emissions and energy source (fuel mix) data may vary from these averages.

Electricity can be generated in a number of ways with different costs and impacts on the environment. The standardized environmental information shown below allows you to compare this electricity product with electricity products offered by other electricity suppliers. For additional information, contact SMECO at 1-888-440-3311, extension 4458.

Energy Source (Fuel Mix)
SMECO is a distribution cooperative—we are responsible for the distribution of energy to our customer-members. SMECO does not own any generating facilities. Its wholly owned subsidiary, SMECO Solar LLC, owns the solar generation station in Hughesville. We purchase the vast majority of energy we will need to fulfill our supply obligations from the market, using forward contracts with power supply counterparties.The system fuel mix that SMECO delivers is based on the fuel mix of PJM Interconnection as a whole.

Additional information on annual and monthly fuel mixes is available from PJM.

Environmental information for SMECO's SOS (As of 2012)

system-mix2012.gif

Oil: 0.19 %Hydroelectric: 0.97 %Wind: 1.88 %Other Renewables: 1.02 %Coal: 44.43 %Nuclear: 35.12 %Natural Gas: 16.39 %Highcharts.com
Values represent 2013 averages for this region:

• 44.43% coal
  • 35.12% nuclear
  • 16.39% natural gas
  • 0.19% oil
  • Renewable energy:
    • 0.30% methane gas
    • 0% geothermal
    • 0.97% hydroelectric
    • 0.05% solar
    • 0.52% solid waste
    • 1.88% wind
    • 0.15% wood/other biomass
Air Emissions
The amount of air pollution associated with the generation of electricity production for this region, given in pounds emitted per megawatt-hour of electricity generated, are as follows:

• Nitrogen Oxides (NOX): 0.95
  • Sulfur Dioxide (SO2): 2.21
  • Carbon Dioxide (CO2): 1,111.80
CO2 is a greenhouse gas, which may contribute to global climate change. SO2 and NOX released into the atmosphere react to form acid rain. NOX also reacts to form ground level ozone, an unhealthful component of smog.

oh that volt

The Chevy Volt sucks because you heard that it did.

Ask Jay Leno what he thinks.

no it sucks because it can not even make it on all electric

one way to work

then it turns into another gas guzzler

when an electric car or truck can go 350 miles on one charge

and can be recharged in ten minutes or less

i am all for one

the 2015 volt only gets 38 miles on electric

and it takes 10 - 16 hours charge to get that

and when it is running strictly on gas

it gets maybe 40 miles to the gallon

my 2010 cobalt gets 42 highway

2015 Volt Electric Cars - Hybrid Cars Chevrolet

How far away do you work? Most people don't drive 40 miles one way. In fact, they drive less than 30 BOTH ways and no, It's not a "gas guzzler."

The Chevy volt gets a very respectable 37 mpg combined, how in the hell is that even close to a "gas guzzler?"

Normally, the electricity required for a full charge cost about $1.80 depending upon where you live.

This car does several things that benefit our country, number one is that assholes like Osama Bin Laden no longer get rich off of our dependence to foreign oil.

After two years of owning his Chevy Volt, Jay Leno still had half of the original tank of gas and over 11,000 miles.

i live in South Dakota i drive easily more then 40 miles one way

in this day and age 37 mpg is not that respectable

as i said earlier by 2010 cobalt gets 42 mph in the winter

right now it costs me less then six cents a mile

and

i dont have to wait 10 to 16 hours for a full charge

--LOL

^^^ You are NOT a good fit for this vehicle, then.

That doesn't mean that it "sucks," it means that you would be better suited with something else.

Yep, I have a new Ford F250 Super Duty crew cab 4x4. Because I NEED one. There is no electric on the market that will suit my need.

I also have a Focus ST, well just because its an awesome little car.

If you buy a Tesla with the supercharger option, you get a signed contract that the charging at the Tesla stations will be free for the life of your Tesla. Cynicism aside, unless you have some evidence to the contrary you are just a naysayer in the face of progress.

And the subsidies that started Tesla are done. They are making a profit now. Car manufacturing is not something that is a cheap startup. But reducing our dependence on foreign oil is worth the money spent.

Are Electric Vehicles Better for the Environment than Gas-Powered Ones?
Comparing electric and gas-powered versions of the same car show the environmental benefits of electric vehicles.

a report that provides a fair assessment by comparing an electric version of its Fluence sedan with gas and diesel-powered versions of the same car. And it makes clear that electric cars are, indeed, better for the environment. The report is a life-cycle assessment, a “cradle to grave” analysis, including not only the emissions involved in using the car, but also the emissions from making it, the resources consumed in manufacturing, and a range of environmental impacts. It looked at not only greenhouse-gas emissions, but impacts on acid rain, ozone pollution, algae blooms, consumption of water and materials such as steel and copper, and total energy demand.

The study found that while the environmental impact of making electric vehicles is greater than for making gas and diesel vehicles, this is more than made up for by the greater impact of gas and diesel vehicles while they’re being used. This is true in terms of total energy consumption, use of resources, greenhouse gases, and ozone pollution. The electric vehicles were assumed to be charged from a grid that includes significant amounts of fossil fuels. (Other studies show that electric vehicles beat gas-powered ones in terms of greenhouse gas emissions even if they’re charged in regions that depend heavily on coal. Here’s one such study. In some areas, hybrids are a better choice than electric cars.)

Electric vehicles come out behind in two areas. They contribute slightly more to acid rain. And they’re slightly worse in terms of causing algae blooms than gasoline cars (but better than diesel).

Forum List

Back