Study- Why Your All-Electric Cars make the air Dirtier

I have lived a good part of my life where most of the electricity is generated by hydro-electric plants. So the supposition "People who own all-electric cars where coal generates the power..." is a caveat that does not necessarily condemn all EVs..

Also, the fact that 80k fewer cars per year are putting out exhaust fumes and burning gasoline is the plus. The pollution caused by generating the electricity is the next problem to be solved. But the main advantage is getting off oil, especially imported oil. The rate we are burning through it is certainly not sustainable.

I have spent most of my working life driving trucks. I love a good truck. But that doesn't mean I don't also lust for a Tesla in my garage.
Take your Tesla on a trip from Seattle to Miami or from Boston to San Diego. I will do the same in my Sienna. I guarantee I will get to my destination before you because I will have a reliable source to continue my trip every time my tank is empty, now and in the foreseeable future.

You with your Tesla? Not so much.
If you're driving a Tesla I strongly encourage anyone to wear triple layers of the fire suits worn by professional race car drivers.
Recently a Tesla was parked by a sidewalk. No One was in it. The dam thing suddenly exploded.

A very large amount of energy is needed to create the batteries and keep them charged as well.
Not that facts matter in this thread, but electrical sources very state to state.

Furthermore, a very large amount of energy is required to refine and ship crude oil.

I have lived a good part of my life where most of the electricity is generated by hydro-electric plants. So the supposition "People who own all-electric cars where coal generates the power..." is a caveat that does not necessarily condemn all EVs..

Also, the fact that 80k fewer cars per year are putting out exhaust fumes and burning gasoline is the plus. The pollution caused by generating the electricity is the next problem to be solved. But the main advantage is getting off oil, especially imported oil. The rate we are burning through it is certainly not sustainable.

I have spent most of my working life driving trucks. I love a good truck. But that doesn't mean I don't also lust for a Tesla in my garage.
Take your Tesla on a trip from Seattle to Miami or from Boston to San Diego. I will do the same in my Sienna. I guarantee I will get to my destination before you because I will have a reliable source to continue my trip every time my tank is empty, now and in the foreseeable future.

If you're driving a Tesla I strongly encourage anyone to wear triple layers of the fire suits worn by professional race car drivers.
Recently a Tesla was parked by a sidewalk. No One was in it. The dam thing suddenly exploded.

Any injuries in Tesla fires?
Do gas powered cars ever catch fire?

As for the Tesla "exploding", do you have a link?

Wind generates it's power at night when people are using it to charge their cars. This excessive night time wind energy would be dumped if it were not for electric cars storing it. Also natural gas is replacing dirty coal. This gas generates 3 times more useable energy when burned in a power plant vs wasting it in a natural gas powered car.
The only "wind at night" is coming out your ass under the covers.
Read any scientific study of when/why wind occurs.
Winds at night are more like light breezes.
I thought you fucking LIBs were 'all about understanding science'?
Not so much in your case dear.

A very large amount of energy is needed to create the batteries and keep them charged as well.
Not that facts matter in this thread, but electrical sources very state to state.

Furthermore, a very large amount of energy is required to refine and ship crude oil.

Yes, it takes energy to make the batteries. But keeping them charged is relatively cheap compared to the gasoline required to make regular cars function.

I'll beat you both in an airplane. Most people don't buy a car for cross-country trips.

I read about one that caught fire in a garage. There have been 3 cases in which a Tesla caught fire after hitting something. Not a single injury in any of those.

Also, the 2014 Tesla Model S got 5 star ratings (top score is 5) in all 4 categories of the gov't crash test ratings.

:lol: FIRE DEPARTMENTS WARN RESIDENTS OF THE FIRE HAZARD DANGER OF THEIR GAS OR DIESEL POWERED CAR

Because gas powered vehicles are so dangerous, most cities have ordinances preventing gas powered vehicles from being parked in garages attached to occupied structures unless they have a fire wall with greater than a 2 hour burn through time.

Last edited:

Yup. And that 'energy' has a little byproduct: It's called pollution.
Where are the batteries made for the Tesla's? Why in China of course.
You know. The China that the fucking liars in BOBO's government claimed to have entered into a "historic agreement" with China for China to begin to possibly maybe start giving some thought to the vague notion of maybe reducing it's pollution starting in "about" 2030.
Note not a single fucking document was signed.
The U.S. and China Just Announced Important New Actions to Reduce Carbon Pollution The White House

:lol: FIRE DEPARTMENTS WARN RESIDENTS OF THE FIRE HAZARD DANGER OF THEIR GAS OR DIESEL POWERED CAR

Because gas powered vehicles are so dangerous, most cities have ordinances preventing gas powered vehicles from being parked in garages attached to occupied structures unless they have a fire wall with greater than a 2 hour burn through time.

Yeah, I always laugh at the fire hazard posts concerning the Tesla. Like driving around with 20 to 30 gals of explosively flammable liquid is safer. lol

You know. The China that the fucking liars in BOBO's government claimed to have entered into a "historic agreement" with China for China to begin to possibly maybe start giving some thought to the vague notion of maybe reducing it's pollution starting in "about" 2030.
The U.S. and China Just Announced Important New Actions to Reduce Carbon Pollution The White House

Right, and combustion engines are so clean. How many gallons of oil are spilled in just oil leaks on streets and driveways all over the country?

Right, and combustion engines are so clean. How many gallons of oil are spilled in just oil leaks on streets and driveways all over the country?

modern combustion engines, when properly maintained, are EXTREMELY clean.

So are modern electric engines. And they do not require an oil change every 3k-5k miles. And do not burn fossil fuels.

Wind generates it's power at night when people are using it to charge their cars. This excessive night time wind energy would be dumped if it were not for electric cars storing it. Also natural gas is replacing dirty coal. This gas generates 3 times more useable energy when burned in a power plant vs wasting it in a natural gas powered car.
The only "wind at night" is coming out your ass under the covers.
Read any scientific study of when/why wind occurs.
Winds at night are more like light breezes.
I thought you fucking LIBs were 'all about understanding science'?
Not so much in your case dear.

You are a total idiot.
Texas wind farms break generation record at night

Read Texas ERCOT and see how many wind turbines must be feathered & power spilled off or power companies are paid to take excess power at night.

Texas Wind Farms Paying People to Take Power

Last edited:
or course the devil is in the details. Obama is color blind I know

-Geaux

People who own all-electric cars where coal generates the power may think they are helping the environment. But a new study finds their vehicles actually make the air dirtier, worsening global warming.

Say what?

Ethanol isn't so green, either.

"It's kind of hard to beat gasoline" for public and environmental health, said study co-author Julian Marshall, an engineering professor at the University of Minnesota. "A lot of the technologies that we think of as being clean ... are not better than gasoline."

The key is where the source of the electricity all-electric cars. If it comes from coal, the electric cars produce 3.6 times more soot and smog deaths than gas, because of the pollution made in generating the electricity, according to the study that is published Monday by the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. They also are significantly worse at heat-trapping carbon dioxide that worsens global warming, it found.

Study Your All-Electric Car May Not Be So Green - ABC News

I'm glad that doesn't apply to my husband's car.

Our one and only coal fired plant here is being shut down.We started shutting it down in 2005 and will be finished being shut down in a few years.

Almost all of the energy my state uses and generates is either from water or wind or the sun. So my husband's electric car and all of the many electric cars here aren't polluting the air like your post says they are.

So are modern electric engines. And they do not require an oil change every 3k-5k miles. And do not burn fossil fuels.

Modern combustion engines don't require an oil change every 3k-5k miles either.

As for fossil fuels, is electricity generated by pixie dust?

Hey, I'm a fan of electric cars, in the proper time and place, but there is no reason to act like they are so superior to gasoline engines. They are not.

Forum List

Back