Struggling On $174,000 A Year

Sure it is.

It's as much a right as lobbying and spending money on campaigns. All part of free speech.

It's not free speech when it negativly affects others.

Lemme be more specific, since you missed ravis troll and run post

This is about the public unions in WI. were a little off topic.

If this was twistable into free speech, it would require the individual to do so on his part for him.

I think you are making an arguement for campaign finance reform. Heres the thing tho, if we did that then I want to know more about how advertising on various platforms would be paid for by us or would the tv stations kick in together already. I dunno but I think it could be done.

*edit* Free speech is free speech even when it negativly affects others. What else would it be?

This might stretch the rules, so I'm telling you now that I don't mean the following as an actual threat.

I come up to you and tell you; "I'm gonna fucking kill you." But I stay well outta arms reach. That's free speech, there is no affect on you except you learned I'm an asshole.

I come up to you, with and knife, and tell you; "I'm gonna fucking kill you." and I get well within reach. It's a real threat, and not free speech.

You as a public emplyee ask your boss for a raise, he says no, we can't afford it {lets assume you are a great worker], you can ask for a benefit, more time off, etc etc, and you can keep it up until you get something or figure out that they truly can't afford to add anything.

You as a public union member may not ask your boss for a thing, b/c you all get the same, no matter what. The union desides if they want you all to have more and they don't care if the state can afford it or not. If they don't get thier demands met, they strike, that affects me, you are a public servant and I am the public. the union gets what they want, my taxes go up or the state borrows money, which increases my cost of living.

public unions are not using free speech.

Assumed office
January 3, 2011

:cuckoo:

okaay

If he was making less, and still built up that much debt, then publically cried about it....

Then let the mocking commence.

A lot of people have accumulated a lot of debt in the last two years. I don't know the break down. No one has broken out his financial records. I'm just pointing out that the salary that everyone is discussing is income just recently obtained.
So you think he lied about his own salary? :lol:

Check the link I posted above, there's a cute video on it where his wife describes ordering sushi on the internet and having it flown in for her yearly Christmas party.

I bet if he made more money they could have caviar like us normal people.

:rofl:

Ironically,most of the Democrats who exploit the Losers in this country,are Multi-Millionaires or more. They just play the miserable Losers perfectly around Election Time. Winners don't obsess over how much $$ others make. Only bitter Losers do that. And that's the Fact Jack!

Ironically,most of the Democrats who exploit the Losers in this country,are Multi-Millionaires or more. They just play the miserable Losers perfectly around Election Time. Winners don't obsess over how much $$ others make. Only bitter Losers do that. And that's the Fact Jack!

But if one spends millions of dollars to get elected only to cry about his tax payer provided paycheck then HE'S the loser. And it doesn't matter if he's a D or R.

And THAT'S a fact, Jack.

@ Two Thumbs

I understand you analogy with the exception that you are treating the public and workers as being separate from the unions.

One-Fifth of House Freshmen Sleep in Offices - CBS Evening News - CBS News

THE LIST

Freshmen Members of the U.S. House of Representatives sleeping in their Washington, D.C., offices:

Republicans (19)
Steve Chabot (OH-1st), 58
Sean Duffy (WI-7th), 39
Stephen Fincher (TN-8th), 37
Chris Gibson (NY-20), 46
Tim Griffin (AR-2nd), 42
Paul Gosar (AZ-1st), 52
Trey Gowdy (SC-4th), 46
Morgan Griffith (VA-9th), 52
Richard Hanna (NY-24), 59
Joe Heck (NV-3rd), 49
Bill Huizenga (MI-2nd), 41
Bill Johnson (OH-6th), 56
James Lankford (OK-5th), 42
Patrick Meehan (PA-7th), 55
Todd Rokita (IN-4th), 40
Steve Stivers (OH-15th), 45
Joe Walsh (IL-8th), 49
Todd Young (IN-9th), 38
Tim Walberg (MI-7th), 59

Democrats (2)
John Carney (DE-At large), 54
Hansen Clarke (MI-13th), 53

So much for the two house theory.

He does have two houses...but one is a vacation home. The more that comes out about this guy the more of a fucktard he appears to be:
Here's a rundown of Duffy's finances, from the 2009 disclosure form he had to file with the government: his family of 7 (wife plus six kids) is carrying between $250,000 and $500,000 in mortgage debt; between $50,000-$100,000 in student loans; between $15,000-$50,000 in credit card debt; and between $100,000-$250,000 in debt related to the family vacation home, a cabin not too far from his primary residence in Wisconsin.
So How Rich Is Sean Duffy? Not Very...For A Congressman | TPMDC

Why is this Republican buying a vacation home if he still owes between 50,000 and 100,000 in government underwritten student loans???

:lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMr73QeToe4]YouTube - Sean Duffy Bringing the Axe to Washington[/ame]

But if one spends millions of dollars to get elected only to cry about his tax payer provided paycheck then HE'S the loser. And it doesn't matter if he's a D or R.

And THAT'S a fact, Jack.

:eusa_eh:

Do either of you know Jack?

According to another post in the "media" forum it seems that multi-millionare rocker Bruce Springsteen seems to feel that his lifestyle in NJ is not sustainable under republican governor Christie.

Wow. We're really sinking as a nation. It used to be that millionaires were the Evul Rich.

Then those who make $250K per year were promoted to that category.

And now, people who earn $174K and must live in two places to do their jobs are RICH.

Watch out! You're Next!

And you (and those that thanked you) know darn well that if it was a Dem you would be raking him over the coals. Especially for complaining about his tax payer paid salary.

So find a Democrat making the same amount. You're the one who singled out this Republican.

The thread boils down to this- a Republican who has something that you don't.
You want it, you can't have it.

Accept your lot in life.

And he's the one complaining, right?

And THAT'S a fact, Jack.

Sure. I met him in Nashville.

So much for the two house theory.

He does have two houses...but one is a vacation home. The more that comes out about this guy the more of a fucktard he appears to be:
Here's a rundown of Duffy's finances, from the 2009 disclosure form he had to file with the government: his family of 7 (wife plus six kids) is carrying between $250,000 and $500,000 in mortgage debt; between $50,000-$100,000 in student loans; between $15,000-$50,000 in credit card debt; and between $100,000-$250,000 in debt related to the family vacation home, a cabin not too far from his primary residence in Wisconsin.
So How Rich Is Sean Duffy? Not Very...For A Congressman | TPMDC

Why is this Republican buying a vacation home if he still owes between 50,000 and 100,000 in government underwritten student loans???

:lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMr73QeToe4]YouTube - Sean Duffy Bringing the Axe to Washington[/ame]

oh, that...that's so money :clap2:

And THAT'S a fact, Jack.

Sure, he has great tickets to the Lakers.

A republican comlainng about his taxed funded salary ain't no republican in my book.

He wasn't exactly complaining - he just said he was having trouble making ends meet (a very common condition in our over leveraged society). And he still said all public employees should have their salaries cut. From the link in the OP:

A Duffy aide told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Tuesday that the congressman wasn't complaining, he was relating to his constituents.

"Our nation faces a real fiscal crisis and Congressman Duffy is committed to working with his colleagues in the House to face these challenges head on, not score cheap political points," Duffy spokesman Daniel Son told the newspaper.

As far as cutting his own salary (proposals for which are currently being offered in Congress) Duffy responded by saying that he supports across-the-board cuts for all public employees.

The last paragraph says that he thinks all public service employees should take pay cuts.

He is letting people know, that in this economy, 174,000 is not a million dollars like liberals want everyone to believe.

I've lived at many income levels in my life and I can say that 174,000 isn't that much if you live in California and it's because you must give up so much of it in taxes. What you end up with is half of 174,000 to live off of.

His point is valid but it needed to come from someone not in government.

I did a quick analysis of what $174K looks like for a two income family in CA earlier in the thread. It is not a high lifestyle.

Forum List

Back