Struggling On $174,000 A Year

Winners don't obsess over how much $$ others make. Only miserable Losers do that. .......So if you're sitting around whining about how much $$ others make,you really are a pathetic Loser...........

I agree with these parts of your post so maybe we just found some common ground!! Anyone sitting around whining over what teachers and garbage collectors earn are truly pathetic losers.

Why are people attacking the guy for being honest. If he says he's struggling,i believe him. Most Americans are struggling too. I think the usual suspects are gonna have to reconsider what they consider "Rich." It's a different Game now. What many thought was "Rich" just isn't the case anymore.

Why are people attacking the guy for being honest. If he says he's struggling,i believe him. Most Americans are struggling too. I think the usual suspects are gonna have to reconsider what they consider "Rich." It's a different Game now. What many thought was "Rich" just isn't the case anymore.

Could you make it on 175k? I could and I guarantee you I wold not be struggling. Hell, I am not struggling on a third of that.

Could you make it on 175k? I could and I guarantee you I wold not be struggling. Hell, I am not struggling on a third of that.

I'll take him at his word. If he says he's struggling,i believe him. $175k really is far from "Rich." I'm not sure about his family life,but if he has a few kids it can be very very difficult. The usual suspects really are gonna have to redefine their definition of the term "Rich." Times have changed.

I'll take him at his word. If he says he's struggling,i believe him. $175k really is far from "Rich." I'm not sure about his family life,but if he has a few kids it can be very very difficult. The usual suspects really are gonna have to redefine their definition of the term "Rich." Times have changed.

I refuse to pity anyone who spends millions running for a job only to turn around and complain about the pay. He can do like anyone else who doesn't like his or her pay. Quit and find another.

Of course I suppose that he and the rest of the members of congress can do something we can't. Vote themselves another pay raise.

Welfare queens who over extend themselves with cadillacs are bad, but upper middle class people who over extend themselves are "struggling".

When you are poor and on drugs, you are scum. When you are upper middle class and on drugs, you have a substance abuse problem.

etc
etc

Here is hint for you...there are people out there who make 50k a year and have a few kids themselves who didnt over extend themselves and are doing ok. Perhaps this guy should lower himself and ask them how they did it?

Last edited:

No one said he was rich. This is more of the right acting stupid and refusing to take a side on anything.

What is rich?
What is torture?
How do you define lies?

You guys are some slippery bastids

I did a quick analysis of what $174K looks like for a two income family in CA earlier in the thread. It is not a high lifestyle.

I didnt do an "analysis" of living in ca. for 174k. I lived there for 16 years and made a hell of a lot less than that and made it just fine. Its called personal responsibility and not living beyond your means.

This is not hard to understand and I hear it all the time when speaking of the poor.

If our Government keeps going the way they're going right now,$174k will be considered poor at some point. They have completely sunk many future generations. I can believe this man is struggling.

If our Government keeps going the way they're going right now,$174k will be considered poor at some point. They have completely sunk many future generations. I can believe this man is struggling.

Again, it doesn't matter if he's "struggling" or not. He asked for the job.

That some point is not now.

His salary doesn't make him rich, but if he has to struggle on that salary he's probably not very fiscally responsible. That is not, perhaps, a good trait in a congressman.

I did a quick analysis of what $174K looks like for a two income family in CA earlier in the thread. It is not a high lifestyle.

I didnt do an "analysis" of living in ca. for 174k. I lived there for 16 years and made a hell of a lot less than that and made it just fine. Its called personal responsibility and not living beyond your means.

This is not hard to understand and I hear it all the time when speaking of the poor.

Blah Blah Blah.

My point was that $174K in CA or any other high cost of living area is not rich. Yes, people live in such areas on less. But this nonsense of pitting people who make $50K per year against those who make $174K or $250K (or any amount) is highly destructive to our society.

Blah Blah Blah.

My point was that $174K in CA or any other high cost of living area is not rich. Yes, people live in such areas on less. But this nonsense of pitting people who make $50K per year against those who make $174K or $250K (or any amount) is highly destructive to our society.

I don't remember anyone trying to make out like he was rich.

But the case is made that anyone who spends millions asking for a job only to turn around and complain about the pay is a whiner. Would you not agree?

Blah Blah Blah.

I don't remember anyone trying to make out like he was rich.

But the case is made that anyone who spends millions asking for a job only to turn around and complain about the pay is a whiner. Would you not agree?

That or he wasn't smart enough to do the research before running for office LOL

....Rep. Sean Duffy as out of touch after the lawmaker--and former Real World cast member--claimed to be struggling on his $174,000 a year salary

Dems excoriate Rep. Sean Duffy for ‘struggle’ on Congressional salary - Yahoo! News

What do you call that vehicle in your avatar? A two-wheeled automobile? Geeze, why all the trinkets and gee-gaws? With all that weight on it, Mr. Shaman's little Sportster chopper would leave it in the dust.

Last edited:
I'd like to see the people who attacked Duffy take aim at Linda Sanchez:

With 8.8 percent unemployment across the country and more than 8 million people claiming unemployment benefits, one California congresswoman wants people to know they’re not the only ones facing financial hardship. Who else might be? The lawmaker herself.

In an appearance on MSNBC Thursday, Democratic California Rep. Linda Sánchez talked about the downsides of a federal government shutdown. Some lawmakers, to the seriousness of the issue, have said they would forgo their paychecks in the event of that shutdown. Sanchez explained she just can’t afford to go along with that idea.

“I have to tell you that I live paycheck-to-paycheck, like most Americans,” Sánchez said. “I’m still paying off my student loans. I have a 2-year-old son who I have to support, and I have to maintain residences on both coasts. It’s very difficult for me to say, ‘Hey, I can give up my paycheck,’ because the reality is, I have financial obligations that I have to meet on a month-to-month basis that doesn’t make it possible for me.”

Members of Congress receive an annual salary of $174,000, whereas the median household income for American is a little over $46,000 annually. Nonetheless, Sánchez said it is really tough for her to stretch her paycheck that covers everything....

Government Shutdown | Dem congresswoman complains she can't afford to give up her paycheck in the event of a shutdown | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

I'd like to see the people who attacked Duffy take aim at Linda Sanchez:

With 8.8 percent unemployment across the country and more than 8 million people claiming unemployment benefits, one California congresswoman wants people to know they’re not the only ones facing financial hardship. Who else might be? The lawmaker herself.

In an appearance on MSNBC Thursday, Democratic California Rep. Linda Sánchez talked about the downsides of a federal government shutdown. Some lawmakers, to the seriousness of the issue, have said they would forgo their paychecks in the event of that shutdown. Sanchez explained she just can’t afford to go along with that idea.

“I have to tell you that I live paycheck-to-paycheck, like most Americans,” Sánchez said. “I’m still paying off my student loans. I have a 2-year-old son who I have to support, and I have to maintain residences on both coasts. It’s very difficult for me to say, ‘Hey, I can give up my paycheck,’ because the reality is, I have financial obligations that I have to meet on a month-to-month basis that doesn’t make it possible for me.”

Members of Congress receive an annual salary of $174,000, whereas the median household income for American is a little over $46,000 annually. Nonetheless, Sánchez said it is really tough for her to stretch her paycheck that covers everything....

Government Shutdown | Dem congresswoman complains she can't afford to give up her paycheck in the event of a shutdown | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

Certainly I get your point, and I think the congresswoman would be better served keeping that kind of talk to herself. Still, there is a difference between a CA congresswoman saying she can't afford to not get paid at all and a WI congressman saying it is a struggle to live off his paycheck.

....Rep. Sean Duffy as out of touch after the lawmaker--and former Real World cast member--claimed to be struggling on his $174,000 a year salary

Dems excoriate Rep. Sean Duffy for ‘struggle’ on Congressional salary - Yahoo! News

What do you call that vehicle in your avatar? A two-wheeled automobile? Geeze, why all the trinkets and gee-gaws? With all that weight on it, Mr. Shaman's little Sportster chopper would leave it in the dust.

It's not about speed, son. It's about style.

Forum List

Back