Stopping class warfare

akelch

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
If conservatives and liberals are serious about tax fairness, creating jobs, reducing lobbyist influence in Washington, and growing the economy......then why do they not support getting rid of the current income tax code and replace it with a consumption tax?

Or are they serious at all?

If conservatives and liberals are serious about tax fairness, creating jobs, reducing lobbyist influence in Washington, and growing the economy......then why do they not support getting rid of the current income tax code and replace it with a consumption tax?

The problem with a consumption tax is that it is class warfare. When you have people who spend everything they have on day to day expenses, as opposed to the rich, who put a lot away, that is shifting the tax burden onto to the working class more than it already is.

It also hurts business, because people will be less inclined to buy thing.

I mean, come on, people, this ain't brain surgery. We had our greatest prosperity when the rich paid hefty taxes for the privilage of being rich.

The problem with a consumption tax is that it is class warfare. When you have people who spend everything they have on day to day expenses, as opposed to the rich, who put a lot away, that is shifting the tax burden onto to the working class more than it already is.

I mean, come on, people, this ain't brain surgery. We had our greatest prosperity when the rich paid hefty taxes for the privilage of being rich.

Read the bill HR.25. It is only 33 pages. You know it as the Fair Tax plan. The rich will still pay a higher percentage then the poor. Thus it is progressive.

Read the bill HR.25. It is only 33 pages. You know it as the Fair Tax plan. The rich will still pay a higher percentage then the poor. Thus it is progressive.

Because it's not enough, the rich must pay the whole freight or the system just isn't fair.

Asking Joe to read something is like looking for an honest man driving a stolen car.

I have seen how deep this class warfare has gotten and it makes me sad. We have stopped talking about what is best for the country and started talking about how to punish a few in the name of social justice. But this is not a solution....just a distraction.

perhaps a VAT isn't most people's idea of being serious....mostly because consumption taxes fall most heavily on the poor and working class since they spend most of what they earn while rich people save most of what they earn.

not to mention the fact that for people who live in high sales tax states, they're already paying a "consumption" tax along with state and local and federal taxes.

I have seen how deep this class warfare has gotten and it makes me sad. We have stopped talking about what is best for the country and started talking about how to punish a few in the name of social justice. But this is not a solution....just a distraction.

If there has been a class war in this natio, which class is winning?

You are intentionally ignoring the fact that working class real wages and living standards have not risen in thirty years while the upper class has seen incredible wealth expansion over the same period.

Why? Because you are being duped.

How is making the rich pay their fair share a "distraction"?

The country had it's greatest prosperity when the workforce was mostly unionized and the wealthy paid a 93% top rate.

Seriously, fuck the rich. They'll be fine.

Asking Joe to read something is like looking for an honest man driving a stolen car.

I don't need to read a bill to realize consumption taxes hurt working people.

They are also massively inefficient. For instance, IL has a 7% sales tax, and 1% of that goes back to the merchant for simply collecting it.

Like I said....it runs deep.

You all dismiss the idea without even knowing anything about it.

BTW, all those payroll taxes companies and individuals pay get passed down to the consumer....thus increasing the cost of goods. How is this helping the poor?

The country had it's greatest prosperity when the workforce was mostly unionized and the wealthy paid a 93% top rate.

Show me a person that actually paid 93% and I'll agree with you.

Plus, I don't care about the rich, I care about the country and our economy.

Under the Fair Tax those "rich" will have to compete with one another to keep what they have. Thus, hire the best talent.

You are intentionally ignoring the fact that working class real wages and living standards have not risen in thirty years while the upper class has seen incredible wealth expansion over the same period.

Exactly....the income tax, capital gains tax, payroll taxes are not working.

Because it's not enough, the rich must pay the whole freight or the system just isn't fair.

I assume you're being facetious. Otherwise you're a moron.

Read it.
It is wrong on so many fronts...where would you like me to start.

A better idea...read the book it will tell you everything you want to know.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/FairTax-Answering-Critics-Neal-Boortz/dp/B0027CSNOO/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1354636360&sr=1-2&keywords=Fair+tax]FairTax: The Truth: Answering the Critics: Neal Boortz, John Linder, Rob Woodall: 9780641972942: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

The same old class warfare bullshit. Tell us why it's wrong. Start anywhere you like. Don't tell us because it isn't progressive. No one with a brain believes that's a valid reason.

Show me a person that actually paid 93% and I'll agree with you.

Plus, I don't care about the rich, I care about the country and our economy.

Under the Fair Tax those "rich" will have to compete with one another to keep what they have. Thus, hire the best talent.

In those days there were so many deductions that the amount actually paid was lower than what people pay today with lower rates.

The leadership class.. who then uses the subjectivity and infighting to enhance their power over all... hence why true equality in treatment scares the leadership class, and not just those who skirt by while others foot their bill

Forum List

Back