'Stop the Steal' Is a Metaphor

C_Clayton_Jones

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2011
In a Republic, actually
'Starting in 2008, a widely circulated conspiracy theory was that Barack Obama was not actually born in America. Strivers on the political right scrounged around to try to produce a Kenyan birth certificate for him; they filed state and federal legal complaints alleging that Obama was not eligible to be president. But proof of this theory was never a requirement for subscribing to it; you could simply choose to believe that a Black liberal with a Muslim-sounding middle name was not one of us. And at several points during Obama’s presidency, almost a quarter of Americans did.

The country has not changed much. Theda Skocpol, a Harvard sociologist and political scientist who has studied the Tea Party movement and right-wing grievances of the Obama years, draws a straight line from that era to today’s “Stop the Steal” efforts. I talked with Skocpol on Wednesday morning about that connection, and the roots of resentment in America.

Now, as then, you can take the right’s scramble for evidence of fraud with a grain of salt, she told me. The election deniers who say they are perturbed by late-night ballot dumps or dead people voting are actually concerned with something else.

“‘Stop the Steal’ is a metaphor,” Skocpol said, “for the country being taken away from the people who think they should rightfully be setting the tone.” More than a decade later, evidence remains secondary when what you’re really doing is questioning whose vote counts—and who counts as an American.'

More at the link.

'Starting in 2008, a widely circulated conspiracy theory was that Barack Obama was not actually born in America. Strivers on the political right scrounged around to try to produce a Kenyan birth certificate for him; they filed state and federal legal complaints alleging that Obama was not eligible to be president. But proof of this theory was never a requirement for subscribing to it; you could simply choose to believe that a Black liberal with a Muslim-sounding middle name was not one of us. And at several points during Obama’s presidency, almost a quarter of Americans did.

The country has not changed much. Theda Skocpol, a Harvard sociologist and political scientist who has studied the Tea Party movement and right-wing grievances of the Obama years, draws a straight line from that era to today’s “Stop the Steal” efforts. I talked with Skocpol on Wednesday morning about that connection, and the roots of resentment in America.

Now, as then, you can take the right’s scramble for evidence of fraud with a grain of salt, she told me. The election deniers who say they are perturbed by late-night ballot dumps or dead people voting are actually concerned with something else.

“‘Stop the Steal’ is a metaphor,” Skocpol said, “for the country being taken away from the people who think they should rightfully be setting the tone.” More than a decade later, evidence remains secondary when what you’re really doing is questioning whose vote counts—and who counts as an American.'

More at the link.

Obummers own bio at Harvard said that he was born in Kenya.

More at the link.
tick tock

Conservatives know the 2020 election wasn’t ‘stolen.’

Conservatives know Trump lost a fair, lawful, honest, and Constitutional election.

Conservatives know that President Biden is the legitimate president.

‘Stop the Steal’ is about conservative white grievance politics and racist replacement theory, it’s about the right’s contempt for our democratic institutions, and it’s about voter suppression and voter disenfranchisement intended to realize the goal of Republican minority rule.

Conservatives know Trump lost a fair, lawful, honest, and Constitutional election.

‘Stop the Steal’ is about conservative white grievance politics and racist replacement theory, it’s about the right’s contempt for our democratic institutions, and it’s about voter suppression and voter disenfranchisement intended to realize the goal of Republican minority rule.

No, we KNOW it was stolen. Every person with a brain knows it.

Pretty accurate synopsis, IMO.

The modern Republican party embraced the politics of perceived scarcity, which also intersects with white entitlement.

Obozo himself stated he was born in Kenya. His parents stated he was born in Kenya.
Michael his "wife" stated he was born in Kenya.

Plenty of historians that did research claimed the evidence stated he was born in Kenya.

What nobody could find, was his birth certificate. Which I'm sure they destroyed all evidence of when he decided to get installed as resident Communist during his 8 year run, destroying this country.

Just recently though, his birth certificate was "discovered", stating he was born in Kenya. Obozo autographed a certified copy, and it was put up for sale on ebay. (real or fake, you decided)

The modern Republican party embraced the politics of perceived scarcity, which also intersects with white entitlement.
Did you join this board just to be disliked? If so, you're doing it well. If you read any of the content here, you'd have noted that this board is an accurate representation of America, demographically -- maybe 25% leftists at most. Y'all are the minority here, as well as out in the real world, and we've got some damn good ass-kicking conservative posters here who will shred your bullshit.

More at the link.

Trump won.

Biden is illegitimate. And you do not have to be a conservative to figure that out.

You've been indoctrinated with a loser 'scarcity mentality'!
This gives you the perfect excuse to be a victim (and a loser!).
Nice try you feeble do little nobody!!

Nah, see I don't have a problem with women having legal access to reproductive rights. Don't have a problem with black and brown people voting. Don't have a problem with immigration. Don't have a problem gays getting married or having more freedom to be themselves. I don't live in this world of perpetual fear of 'the other'.

He doesn't understand "indoctrinated" or "scarcity mentality"....................................... too many syllables.

Nah, see I don't have a problem with women having legal access to reproductive rights. Don't have a problem with black and brown people voting. Don't have a problem with immigration. Don't have a problem gays getting married or having more freedom to be themselves. I don't live in this world of perpetual fear of 'the other'.

Evidently you're lacking in what's called "discrimination", which is the ability to discern between one thing and another.

You folks don't even know the difference between a male and a female, and can't even define what a female is. I suppose any hole would do, as far as you people are concerned.

Last edited:
Did you join this board just to be disliked? If so, you're doing it well. If you read any of the content here, you'd have noted that this board is an accurate representation of America, demographically -- maybe 25% leftists at most.

I think the majority in this country are pretty ignorant, so if you're trying to tell me I'm out of step with people on an ideological and intellectual level, I'm completely okay with that. I'll - how do the social media influences say it these days? - lean into that insult.

Y'all are the minority here, as well as out in the real world, and we've got some damn good ass-kicking conservative posters here who will shred your bullshit.

Uh, yeah - in their own minds.

Evidently you're lacking in what's called "discrimination", which is the ability to discern between one thing and another.

You folks don't even know the difference between a male and a female, and can't even define what a female is. I suppose any hole would do, as far as you people are concerned.

Sex is biologically assigned and noted on one's birth certificate. Gender is how people feel about their maleness or femaleness. To be blunt, I am still trying to accept and understand this concept as it wasn't around when I was growing up in my day or in my neck of the woods either. It's a new thing for me too.

But so was gays getting married. I got over it. I really don't give a flying fuck if someone that looks like a guy to me thinks of himself as a girl - it doesn't change how I feel about myself. I am comfortable with who I am. None of my family members are threatened by it either. Rome isn't burning and Nero isn't fiddling. The earth still spins on its axis.

Try acceptance and tolerance for a change. The world feels a lot less dangerous that way.

Forum List

Back