Stoicism

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
From the great Marcus Aurelius:

"Think of yourself as dead, you have lived your life. Now take what is left and live it properly."

"It never ceases to amaze me: we all love ourselves more than others, but care more about their opinions than our own."

"It's unfortunate that this has happened. No. It's fortunate that this has happened and I remain unharmed."

"You always own the option of having no opinion."

"Someone despises me. That is their problem."

"Everything is born from change."

"You have power over your mind - not outside events."

"When jarred, unavoidably, by circumstance, revert at once to yourself, and don't lose rhythm more than you can help."

"You could leave life right now. Let that determine what you do, say, and think."

"Don't you see how much you have to offer? And yet you still settle for less."

"Do not let others hold you back."

"Love the hand that fate deals you and play it as your own.'

"The nearer a man comes to a calm mind, the closer he is to strength.

"To love only what happens, no greater harmony."

From the great Seneca:

"We suffer more from imagination than from reality."

"Difficulties strengthen the mind as labor does the body."

"Life is very short and anxious for those who forget the past, neglect the present, and fear the future."

"No man is more unhappy than he who never faces adversity, for he is not permitted to prove himself."

"All cruelty springs from weakness."

"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."

"It does not matter what you bear, but how you bear it."

"What progress have I made? I have begun to be a friend to myself."

"If my wealth goes away, it takes with it nothing but itself."

"If a man knows not which port he sails, no wind is favorable."

The wise man has no need of anything, yet he needs many things; the fool, on the other hand, needs nothing at all, for he knows how to use nothing, yet he has need of everything.
Chrysippos

But why does he [the wise man] have to earn a living? For the sake of life? But life is something indifferent. Or for the sake of pleasure? This too is indifferent. Or for the sake of virtue? It is enough for happiness by itself. Ridiculous also is any way of obtaining sustenance, such as by the grace of a king, for then one must submit to his whims; or by the way of friendship, for then this becomes purchasable for profit; or by means of wisdom, for then wisdom will go out for reward.
Chrysippos

Forum List

Back