Stocks Return More With Democrat in White House: BGOV Barometer

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
By Bob Drummond

While Republicans promote themselves as the friendliest party for Wall Street, stock investors do better when Democrats occupy the White House. From a dollars- and-cents standpoint, it’s not even close.

The BGOV Barometer shows that, over the five decades since John F. Kennedy was inaugurated, $1,000 invested in a hypothetical fund that tracks the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index (SPX) only when Democrats are in the White House would have been worth $10,920 at the close of trading yesterday.

That’s more than nine times the dollar return an investor would have realized from following a similar strategy during Republican administrations. A $1,000 stake invested in a fund that followed the S&P 500 under Republican presidents, starting with Richard Nixon, would have grown to $2,087 on the day George W. Bush left office.

“The market does tend to do better under Democrats than under Republicans,” Sam Stovall, chief investment strategist at S&P Equity Research in New York, said in a telephone interview. “Is it because Republicans mishandled the economy, or inherited a weak economy? I’ll leave that to others.”

More: Stocks Return More With Democrat in White House: BGOV Barometer - Bloomberg

By Bob Drummond

While Republicans promote themselves as the friendliest party for Wall Street, stock investors do better when Democrats occupy the White House. From a dollars- and-cents standpoint, it’s not even close.

The BGOV Barometer shows that, over the five decades since John F. Kennedy was inaugurated, $1,000 invested in a hypothetical fund that tracks the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index (SPX) only when Democrats are in the White House would have been worth $10,920 at the close of trading yesterday.

That’s more than nine times the dollar return an investor would have realized from following a similar strategy during Republican administrations. A $1,000 stake invested in a fund that followed the S&P 500 under Republican presidents, starting with Richard Nixon, would have grown to $2,087 on the day George W. Bush left office.

“The market does tend to do better under Democrats than under Republicans,” Sam Stovall, chief investment strategist at S&P Equity Research in New York, said in a telephone interview. “Is it because Republicans mishandled the economy, or inherited a weak economy? I’ll leave that to others.”

More: Stocks Return More With Democrat in White House: BGOV Barometer - Bloomberg

New reputation!

Hi, you have received -925 reputation points from WillowTree.
Reputation was given for this post.

Comment:
dumb

Regards,
WillowTree

Note: This is an automated message.

Wow, WillowTree was quick to neg that one. Aside from being my supreme stalker negger, I wonder why...

By Bob Drummond

New reputation!

Comment:
dumb

Regards,
WillowTree

Wow, WillowTree was quick to neg that one. Aside from being my supreme stalker negger, I wonder why...

because it's a stupid dumb assed post.

Why is it "a stupid dumb assed post"? Did you read the entire Bloomberg article? Would it have been stupid if it were the other way around?

BTW, you negged me within one minute after I posted the thread.

Last edited:
By Bob Drummond

It makes sense if you think about it. While stock market values are based largely on analyzing financial statements and determining the financial health of companies, a lot of the value is also based on blind consumer confidence. The left side is undisputedly more optimistic about the future, more into change and more into progress. If investors believed the Republican rhetoric about economical gloom and doom, the stock market wouldn't be doing nearly as well as it is.

Ahhh, the next bubble to burst, compliments of the Dems!! Dot com, housing and now this. The stock market is an indication of a complete melt down, soon to be knock, knock, knocking at your door. Yea, the Dems want to claim credit for what's good but sure hand out the blame when it hits the fan.

I think it all comes down to the republican habit of often using scare tactics.

Why is it "a stupid dumb assed post"? Did you read the entire Bloomberg article? Would it have been stupid if it were the other way around?

BTW, you negged me within one minute after I posted the thread.

Oddball said:
Hi, you have received -834 reputation points from Oddball.

Comment:
have another one, cryass

Regards,
Oddball

The article was obviously waaaay over Oddball's head. Those pesky two-syllable words...

Wahmbulance.jpg

By Bob Drummond

They do better with Democrats because the Democrats take their money.

By Bob Drummond

New reputation!

Comment:
dumb

Regards,
WillowTree

Because you whine about neg rep?

Forum List

Back