Stephen Hawking: God didn't create universe

Hawking is getting older and thinking about death, etc.
It is a normal process for humans and is one of the main reasons for the existence of religion.

What difference does it make if its God or anything else?

One things for absolute certain, whatever it is, it was not a old white guy with a long beard

michelangelo_sistinechapelcreationofadamdetail2.jpg

From what I read it seems the moremaons seem to know exactly what god looks like and even the planet he lives on.

Stephen Hawking (In a computer voice): God-Didn't-Create-Universe. Beep!
And he would know because he's in a wheelchair. All the smart guys are paralyzed. Hawking, Ironsides, the cop on Family Guy.

Just sayin'.

Family guy??? People actually watch that show?

heck of a thing to compare to Hawking.

Scientists on the edge have always been fighting religion.
The one that said the earth orbited around the sun had to recant or be killed by the church.

Hawking is getting older and thinking about death, etc.
It is a normal process for humans and is one of the main reasons for the existence of religion.

Usually people embrace religion as they approach death, not try to disprove the existence of God.

some of us are stronger than others.
I am facing death soon and still do not believe in heaven, hell or a supreme being.
heck I don't even believe Beck can keep from lying.

I will have a preached funeral though for the family I leave behind. I talked with the preacher though and he will not try and preach me in heaven or anything like that. It will be an honest representation of my life and person and my interactions with people around me.

the preacher has been a friend for years and is one of the few that really understands how I feel about religion and god. You cannot let people know in the bible belt that you are an atheist or you will be blackballed all over the place regardless of how you are as a person.

Hawking's religion is science. He must base his ideas on testable laws and theories. God is not a testable theory. God is faith. If god appeared before a group of people today and performed miracles would anyone else who was not there believe? We have evolved into a cynical people and everyday that cynacism grows because of all the lies and fabrications we see all the time. You cannot trust pictures no because they are so easily manipulated. So it does not suprise me that Stephen Hawking does not believe in God. Just as he probably does not believe in ESP, ghost, or spirits.

It should be understood that six days in the creation account is not literal. In later scripture it states that a day to the Lord is as a thousand years. And that's not to be taken literally either. Time lines merely serve the purpose of perspective.

What interests me is that the universe as we know it is expanding, ever changing.

This expansion is measurable and has been published (somewhere). Another measurable item is that our Sun will run out of fuel sometime in the future, even though that may be millions of years from now.

All this change in our known universe will happen regardless of belief, so how does God's creation and it's eventual demise, scientifically postulated, interface with human faith in a creator God?

We are told in scripture that life as we know it will pass away through change. Mankind will cease to exist in present form but we will live in another form for eternity. So if one believes in that then what the existing universe does is of no lasting importance since we are talking eternity not time.

If a creator God ordered the universe into existence and that universe was not meant to last, then man, an image of the creator, promised eternal life, will live on in a form more fitting for eternity.

That's my understanding of the big picture.

Last edited:
Interesting...

God did not create the universe, world-famous physicist Stephen Hawking argues in a new book that aims to banish a divine creator from physics.

Hawking says in his book "The Grand Design" that, given the existence of gravity, "the universe can and will create itself from nothing," according to an excerpt published Thursday in The Times of London.

"Spontaneous creation is the reason why there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist," he writes in the excerpt.

"It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper [fuse] and set the universe going," he writes.

His book -- as the title suggests -- is an attempt to answer "the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything," he writes, quoting Douglas Adams' cult science fiction romp, "The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy."

His answer is "M-theory,"...

Stephen Hawking: God didn't create universe - CNN.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny scenario.... Hawkings dies.... gets to Heaven and says "Oops."

Perhaps you would like to explain how someone "goes" to heaven when they are dead. Just "where" is heaven exactly? Do you have any proof whatsoever? Why would Hawking be subject to "your" faith? Do hindus go to heaven? How about Muslims? Athiests? Or do you backtrack to the christian default position that you are special and only people foolish enough to buy into "your" fantasy will go to never never land?

Last edited:
In Hawking's words

Many people would like us to use these coincidences as evidence of the work of God. The idea that the universe was designed to accommodate mankind appears in theologies and mythologies dating from thousands of years ago. In Western culture the Old Testament contains the idea of providential design, but the traditional Christian viewpoint was also greatly influenced by Aristotle, who believed "in an intelligent natural world that functions according to some deliberate design."

That is not the answer of modern science. As recent advances in cosmology suggest, the laws of gravity and quantum theory allow universes to appear spontaneously from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist. It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the universe going.

Stephen Hawking on God, Science and the Origins of the Universe - WSJ.com

Coincidences? Yes, trillion of coincidence, it's all just happenstance.

Hawkings may not be as bright as he believes.

Also, the "Law" of Gravity does not seem to be much of a law outside of Earth's orbit, if it were we'd have a more coherent explanation for both the Pioneer anomaly and "Dark Matter"

In Hawking's words

Many people would like us to use these coincidences as evidence of the work of God. The idea that the universe was designed to accommodate mankind appears in theologies and mythologies dating from thousands of years ago. In Western culture the Old Testament contains the idea of providential design, but the traditional Christian viewpoint was also greatly influenced by Aristotle, who believed "in an intelligent natural world that functions according to some deliberate design."

That is not the answer of modern science. As recent advances in cosmology suggest, the laws of gravity and quantum theory allow universes to appear spontaneously from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist. It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the universe going.

Nothing comes from nothing. It is something and it comes from somewhere.

In Hawking's words

Nothing comes from nothing. It is something and it comes from somewhere.

I couldn't have said it any better!

Forum List

Back