Start-Stop Technology

Star

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2009
I didn't know if I should put this information in the 'Environment" or the "Energy" section, "stop-start technology" will be progress for both.

8 Million New Cars Will Use Start-Stop Technology In Next 5 Years

Aug 13, 2012

As automakers stretch to improve fuel economy, consumers will face all sorts of new technology including one that will take some getting used to because it shuts the engine down at red-lights.

As many as 8 million vehicles sold in the United States will have the so-called "stop-start "technology by 2017, according to a study released by Lux Research, an independent research firm that monitors emerging technologies.

Stop-start systems are common in Europe, which has long been ahead of the U.S. on fuel efficiency, but so far it is in only a few vehicles in the U.S. Is it worth it? Start-stop can improve fuel economy by as much as 12 percent, according to AAA.

Here's how it works: Start-stop technology can power down a car's engine when it's idling or when the brakes are applied, such as at a red-light, and returns power in time for acceleration.

The technology itself is not new - some trucks have used it for two decades. But automakers have advanced it as they search for ways to comply with the 34.1 miles-per-gallon Corporate Average Fuel Economy standard that goes into effect in 2016.

"This technology is only going to gain momentum," said John Nielsen, AAA's Director of Automotive Engineering and Repair.

More than 40 percent of vehicles sold in Europe and Japan already use start-stop technology, according to AAA. In the U.S., hybrid cars offer stop-start, and in 2012, a few luxury automakers began offering it in conventional vehicles, notably the BMW 3-series. Kia has also rolling it into the Soul and Rio at the lower end of the price ladder.

While many automakers, such as BMW and Porsche, offer it as standard equipment, others, like Ford, are offering it as an add-on. The 2013 Ford Fusion, for example, will come with a start-stop option priced at $295.

Consumers can expect to save an average of $167 per year, the study says, based on 12,000 miles driven per year and $3.75 per gallon prices with an average of 20 mpgs.

Whether or not consumers accept the technology may be another matter. In some vehicles, the start-stop system operates so seamlessly, the driver may not notice it at all. In others, the lag between starting and stopping is more pronounced. AOL Autos has tested different systems, and has found, for example, that General Motors system, found on the Chevy Malibu Eco and Buick LaCrosse eAssist works almost invisibly, while the system on the BMW 3 Series was a little more pronounced and even rough.

✄snip>

You can 6% efficiency increase just by changing driving habits and keeping your tires inflated.

After it's killed a couple hundred people who couldn't get out of the way of an accident and added $$Billions to repair costs and decreased battery life -- people will know who to blame. Won't they?

Yah yah yah I heard the same thing many times over the years.
And they wind up driving what is available.

Yah yah yah I heard the same thing many times over the years.
And they wind up driving what is available.

I went back from an anemic 4 cylinder to a 6 after I felt like I was driving a golf cart for 4 years. I only went back to the 4 when the HP and pickup was comparable to the 6 i was giving up.

I got a car with a CVT, which is somewhere between an automatic and a manual in terms of gas milage, so I am up for new technology, as long as it is a noticable improvement.

To me a couple of percent more gas milage is not worth hesitation when accelerating from stop, especially driving in NYC.

It not only has to has transparent performance, but my MAIN concern (other than the death rate) is actually the strain on ALL of the systems. STARTING an engine (and an alternator) with wipers and heaters and lights and stereo all ON is a reliability nightmare. That stuff is running off battery while you're stuck in traffic. In a Bay Area traffic jam with all that load -- you're lucky if you get home.

Thermal stress is another issue. A couple dozen 4 minutes stops in sub zero weather is gonna stress some materials that otherwise don't have a life issue.

I'm certainly NEVER gonna buy one of these until there are YEARS of maintenance data available.

And ya know -- we don't HAVE to go here... Hybrids don't NEED it. And we should be concentrating on fuel cells and hydrogen for EVs anyway..

It not only has to has transparent performance, but my MAIN concern (other than the death rate) is actually the strain on ALL of the systems. STARTING an engine (and an alternator) with wipers and heaters and lights and stereo all ON is a reliability nightmare. That stuff is running off battery while you're stuck in traffic. In a Bay Area traffic jam with all that load -- you're lucky if you get home.

Thermal stress is another issue. A couple dozen 4 minutes stops in sub zero weather is gonna stress some materials that otherwise don't have a life issue.

I'm certainly NEVER gonna buy one of these until there are YEARS of maintenance data available.

And ya know -- we don't HAVE to go here... Hybrids don't NEED it. And we should be concentrating on fuel cells and hydrogen for EVs anyway..

I would hope these things would be smart enough not to turn the engine off when there is an electric load greater than a certain draw on the battery, and when the battery reaches a certain level.

I would hope these things would be smart enough not to turn the engine off when there is an electric load greater than a certain draw on the battery, and when the battery reaches a certain level.

Since all vehicles now have pretty formidable computers on board, that would hardly be a problem.

Starting and stopping are not natural events and therefore wasteful. Sure, you can say there was a beginning and that there's an end, but nothing in the universe ever stops. Period. So it's best to keep moving in a straight line like everything else and let gravity and dark matter do all the work. I hate stopping. There's a reason for this. I like being ahead of the competition, so I adjust my speed and try to a catch every green light possible. I don't think I've ever stopped at a stop sign unless there's another car nearby.

Then there's the fact that we do travel in time. You'll have to find out how on your own. There's 3 way I know of. While it's only fractions of nano-seconds over a lifetime, it's worth it.

Starting and stopping are not natural events and therefore wasteful. Sure, you can say there was a beginning and that there's an end, but nothing in the universe ever stops. Period. So it's best to keep moving in a straight line like everything else and let gravity and dark matter do all the work. I hate stopping. There's a reason for this. I like being ahead of the competition, so I adjust my speed and try to a catch every green light possible. I don't think I've ever stopped at a stop sign unless there's another car nearby.

Then there's the fact that we do travel in time. You'll have to find out how on your own. There's 3 way I know of. While it's only fractions of nano-seconds over a lifetime, it's worth it.

Wow.. If you go to court for a "failure to stop" citation --- PM me.. I want to see the reaction of the judge to your "defense"...

What is saved in gas will be negated by the expense of starter motor replacements.

You can 6% efficiency increase just by changing driving habits and keeping your tires inflated.

Unless you have already inflated your tires and changed your driving habits, in which case this technology is yet more gravy.

flacaltenn said:
After it's killed a couple hundred people who couldn't get out of the way of an accident and added $$Billions to repair costs and decreased battery life -- people will know who to blame. Won't they?

I've been driving start/stop technology for about 6 years now, in 3 different autmobiles. Amazing I am still alive!! By the way, do you have any experience with this type of technology at all, or are you just making this stuff up to bait those of us who do?

I didn't know if I should put this information in the 'Environment" or the "Energy" section, "stop-start technology" will be progress for both.

8 Million New Cars Will Use Start-Stop Technology In Next 5 Years

Aug 13, 2012

As automakers stretch to improve fuel economy, consumers will face all sorts of new technology including one that will take some getting used to because it shuts the engine down at red-lights.

As many as 8 million vehicles sold in the United States will have the so-called "stop-start "technology by 2017, according to a study released by Lux Research, an independent research firm that monitors emerging technologies.

Stop-start systems are common in Europe, which has long been ahead of the U.S. on fuel efficiency, but so far it is in only a few vehicles in the U.S. Is it worth it? Start-stop can improve fuel economy by as much as 12 percent, according to AAA.

Here's how it works: Start-stop technology can power down a car's engine when it's idling or when the brakes are applied, such as at a red-light, and returns power in time for acceleration.

The technology itself is not new - some trucks have used it for two decades. But automakers have advanced it as they search for ways to comply with the 34.1 miles-per-gallon Corporate Average Fuel Economy standard that goes into effect in 2016.

"This technology is only going to gain momentum," said John Nielsen, AAA's Director of Automotive Engineering and Repair.

More than 40 percent of vehicles sold in Europe and Japan already use start-stop technology, according to AAA. In the U.S., hybrid cars offer stop-start, and in 2012, a few luxury automakers began offering it in conventional vehicles, notably the BMW 3-series. Kia has also rolling it into the Soul and Rio at the lower end of the price ladder.

While many automakers, such as BMW and Porsche, offer it as standard equipment, others, like Ford, are offering it as an add-on. The 2013 Ford Fusion, for example, will come with a start-stop option priced at $295.

Consumers can expect to save an average of $167 per year, the study says, based on 12,000 miles driven per year and $3.75 per gallon prices with an average of 20 mpgs.

Whether or not consumers accept the technology may be another matter. In some vehicles, the start-stop system operates so seamlessly, the driver may not notice it at all. In others, the lag between starting and stopping is more pronounced. AOL Autos has tested different systems, and has found, for example, that General Motors system, found on the Chevy Malibu Eco and Buick LaCrosse eAssist works almost invisibly, while the system on the BMW 3 Series was a little more pronounced and even rough.

✄snip>

That has been around since the first automobile was made, it is called the ignition key.

Unless you have already inflated your tires and changed your driving habits, in which case this technology is yet more gravy.

flacaltenn said:

I've been driving start/stop technology for about 6 years now, in 3 different autmobiles. Amazing I am still alive!! By the way, do you have any experience with this type of technology at all, or are you just making this stuff up to bait those of us who do?

My foremost concern is maintenance and wear/tear on the electrical system and the engine. There would have to be AMPLE evidence of MULTIPLE YEARS of worry-free driving before I'd ever even consider the benefits of this hare-brained concept.

As an engineer -- I'm also appalled by machinery that thinks it's smarter than me. Like printers that spool things that can't be stopped or killed. Even when all the power goes off. It's dangerous to have to go thru a total restart of the engine with all the Software and computerized checking that is performed. Especially when the train is coming.

So DRIVE ON --- and tell me 5 years from now how many SUPER-SIZED batteries, alternators, pumps, and regulators you've replaced.. And after a sample of MILLIONS of these experiences --- give me a call.

BTW --- if you're not this in -15deg weather at night with all the electrical running or driving thru a Las Vegas traffic jam in the hot summer --- you don't count as adequate testing..

Forum List

Back