Star Trek Discovery

Most series have gone to continuing story lines. If they had to depend on the quality of each episode to keep audiences returning, most of them would be lucky to last a session.

You know what, I kind of take an opposite view. I think "episodic" story telling in TV was a detriment.

Let's take Star Trek. You had "City on the Edge of Forever", where Kirk was willing to let the whole of history become undone to save the life of the woman he loved, but in the end, let's her get run over by a truck to correct the timeline. This was kind of a profound thing.

And it never gets mentioned again.

That's why I think the best Trek was actually Deep Space Nine. It had this great story arc that unfolded over seven seasons. Things happened that changed characters over the course of the series and we saw that change.
I can't say I really liked Deep Space Nine. I don't even remember the continuing story line. I guess I never really thought the characters were that interesting. To me, TNG was the most interesting. I thought there was excellent character development and good stories lines.

I only saw a couple episodes. I saw little relationship to any of the previous star treks.

Story lines on Star Trek and TNG and to some extent Voyager and Enterprise were often morality lessons exploring such topics as the importance of each moment of life, immortality, racial prejudice, the needs of the many vs the needs of the few, limits of honesty, what it means to be human, importance of honor, individual freedom, etc... Discovery just seems to be another space adventure.

I kind of see that as a valid criticism. This is Star Trek for HBO. People are dropping F-bombs and having sex.

This is more in the mold of DS9 or Babylon 5, where you have continuing storylines...Everything isn't wrapped up in an hour.
Most series have gone to continuing story lines. If they had to depend on the quality of each episode to keep audiences returning, most of them would be lucky to last a session.

I think part of the reason for moving away from self-contained episode television is the changing way people watch TV. Binge-watching makes longer story arcs not only more viable, but in many ways preferable.

Of course, I think the idea that "most series have gone to continuing story lines" is an exaggeration. There is still plenty of episodic television. :dunno:
Well, it seems everything I watch has this background story. Remember the X-Files. Almost every week, there would be the understated promise of "next week all will be revealed" which it never was. Star Trek's continuing story lines were more subtle and less cliffhangers.

I agree Binge-watching has certainly contributed to the continuing story line.

I only saw a couple episodes. I saw little relationship to any of the previous star treks.

Story lines on Star Trek and TNG and to some extent Voyager and Enterprise were often morality lessons exploring such topics as the importance of each moment of life, immortality, racial prejudice, the needs of the many vs the needs of the few, limits of honesty, what it means to be human, importance of honor, individual freedom, etc... Discovery just seems to be another space adventure.

I kind of see that as a valid criticism. This is Star Trek for HBO. People are dropping F-bombs and having sex.

This is more in the mold of DS9 or Babylon 5, where you have continuing storylines...Everything isn't wrapped up in an hour.

I think part of the reason for moving away from self-contained episode television is the changing way people watch TV. Binge-watching makes longer story arcs not only more viable, but in many ways preferable.

Of course, I think the idea that "most series have gone to continuing story lines" is an exaggeration. There is still plenty of episodic television. :dunno:
Well, it seems everything I watch has this background story. Remember the X-Files. Almost every week, there would be the understated promise of "next week all will be revealed" which it never was. Star Trek's continuing story lines were more subtle and less cliffhangers.

I agree Binge-watching has certainly contributed to the continuing story line.

Actually, as I remember it The X-Files were usually pretty self-contained episodes. Only occasionally did they go with the over-arching story. I think the more wide-ranging story became more common in later seasons. It's been years since I watched the show, though.

You know what, I kind of take an opposite view. I think "episodic" story telling in TV was a detriment.

Let's take Star Trek. You had "City on the Edge of Forever", where Kirk was willing to let the whole of history become undone to save the life of the woman he loved, but in the end, let's her get run over by a truck to correct the timeline. This was kind of a profound thing.

And it never gets mentioned again.

That's why I think the best Trek was actually Deep Space Nine. It had this great story arc that unfolded over seven seasons. Things happened that changed characters over the course of the series and we saw that change.
I can't say I really liked Deep Space Nine. I don't even remember the continuing story line. I guess I never really thought the characters were that interesting. To me, TNG was the most interesting. I thought there was excellent character development and good stories lines.

The continuing story of DS9 was very clear. Captain Sisko was picked by the beings living in the wormhole to be their Emissary to the Bajorans. Everything else centered around that plot. Everything else was secondary although the Founders attempt to take over the quadrant played a big part.
I never thought Avery Brooks was that great of an actor but the role seemed to fit him.
Armin Shimmerman as Quark was great!

DS9 was boring to me at first but after Babylon 5 taught me the arc I revisited it with new eyes.

I have no words.

Babylon 5 was pretty good. And largely forgotten today, unfortunately. I don't even think it has a cult following.

Ironically, what made Star Trek the phenomenon it was that it had just enough episodes to get into syndication, at a time when small UHF stations were looking for filler. This couldn't happen today.

So a really good SF show like Babylon 5 or Farscape or Firefly disappears into the ether...

I have no words.

Babylon 5 was pretty good. And largely forgotten today, unfortunately. I don't even think it has a cult following.

Ironically, what made Star Trek the phenomenon it was that it had just enough episodes to get into syndication, at a time when small UHF stations were looking for filler. This couldn't happen today.

So a really good SF show like Babylon 5 or Farscape or Firefly disappears into the ether...

Babylon 5 wasn't cancelled. It was planned from the beginning for 5 seasons, which it got. It also had a bunch of spin-off content. Farscape was cancelled after 4 seasons, but that was in large part a budget issue: ScyFy didn't want to pay as much as the show cost. Of course, the content they tried to replace Farscape with failed completely and they eventually paid to have a final TV movie made. Firefly suffered from horrible advertising and mismanagement by Fox, broadcasting the episodes out of order. If the Firefly situation had happened today, I think one of the streaming services would have picked it up and we'd have gotten more seasons.

Yes. B5 was a complete arc...So tell me about Bonnie Hammer since you know so much...

Yes. B5 was a complete arc...So tell me about Bonnie Hammer since you know so much...

I actually never watched B5. :) I've read a bit about it, though, and I became interested in Straczynski after reading his comic series Rising Stars. I might yet try watching B5, but it's very dated. However, from what I've read, his 5 year plan for B5 was very unusual in television.

I actually never watched B5. :) I've read a bit about it, though, and I became interested in Straczynski after reading his comic series Rising Stars. I might yet try watching B5, but it's very dated. However, from what I've read, his 5 year plan for B5 was very unusual in television.

Pioneer. Watch sometime and get back.

B5 is a big industrial black hole for too many.

Forum List

Back