Star Trek Discovery

Never been into Star Trek. But if it bunches your panties up so badly, there must be something good about it.

It is irrelevant save for the disgrace of it having an honored name. It is a web only show, which means they will shoot all 10 episodes, despite the fact that it will be a major flop. It will not appeal to Trek fans, and as you illustrate, most fascists have no interest in the series. In the end, it appeals to no one, but the gay lobby...

Why won't it appeal to Trek fans? Just because it has a gay character? Because it is on All Access?

To start with.. The CBS service is a pay service that has commercials and uses and antiquated streaming technology that ensures lots of buffering and crappy playback.

We already did a reboot of Star Trek on the big screen, so the path to success on TV is to recreate what made TOS and TNG successful. A dynamic captain and crew with a regard for the physics involved in space travel. Discovery is a disaster on all these fronts, another prequel that unlike Enterprise, ignores the why and how of space to try and pump up the action.

This show has no chance.

Perhaps it will be as you describe, but you seem to know an awful lot about it for a show which hasn't aired yet and just began filming a couple of months ago.

I've liked every show Bryan Fuller has created (that has made it past the pilot). Wonderfalls, Dead Like Me, Pushing Daisies, and Hannibal were all excellent IMO. I'm hoping that Discovery will continue to use Fuller's vision for the show because of his previous work, but he's no longer in control of things. On the other hand, now I'm excited for American Gods, which Fuller is heading up. :)

Oh, and what makes you say Star Trek is particularly concerned with the physics of space travel? The shows and movies have always suffered from the same small scale that sci fi films generally do; in order to show space battles up close, the writers tend to ignore the vast distances involved and incredible speeds which must be attained. I don't doubt Discovery does the same, but why do you call it a disaster regarding the physics of space travel? Again I have to question how you seem to know so much about a show that is started filming just 2 months ago.

Bryan Fuller left the show.

I said he's no longer running it. He's still apparently an executive producer and may remain involved in the development to some degree. It's also possible the scripts he wrote will be used.

You are one miserable bastard aren't you

No doubt you will be one of the 15 dedicated viewers of the show.
Never been into Star Trek. But if it bunches your panties up so badly, there must be something good about it.

It is irrelevant save for the disgrace of it having an honored name. It is a web only show, which means they will shoot all 10 episodes, despite the fact that it will be a major flop. It will not appeal to Trek fans, and as you illustrate, most fascists have no interest in the series. In the end, it appeals to no one, but the gay lobby...

Why won't it appeal to Trek fans? Just because it has a gay character? Because it is on All Access?

To start with.. The CBS service is a pay service that has commercials and uses and antiquated streaming technology that ensures lots of buffering and crappy playback.

We already did a reboot of Star Trek on the big screen, so the path to success on TV is to recreate what made TOS and TNG successful. A dynamic captain and crew with a regard for the physics involved in space travel. Discovery is a disaster on all these fronts, another prequel that unlike Enterprise, ignores the why and how of space to try and pump up the action.

This show has no chance.
If it's successful, it may be a new business model for the networks. Introduce viewers to the new series by putting the first season on TV. If successful, put the next season on a pay services. A new way to suck money out of viewer's pocket.

[

If it's successful, it may be a new business model for the networks. Introduce viewers to the new series by putting the first season on TV. If successful, put the next season on a pay services. A new way to suck money out of viewer's pocket.

It's a model that Netflix and Amazon long ago leveraged. CBS is late to the game and doesn't grasp that a pay service does not embed commercials. The CBS services is moving into a highly crowded field that is dominated by Netflix and Amazon, with Sony (Playstation,) Apple, and Microsoft all crowding into it. Sony and Microsoft both have top notch technology (as do Netflix and Amazon.) Apple TV may be crap, but they are negotiating with Microsoft to license their technology (as usual) so should soon have decent streaming.

Besides the Triple A list, there is Vudu, Sling, Hulu, HBOgo, etc.CBS is WAY down the list, late to the game and running shit software.

I don't see this ending well for them.

[
I love TOS, TNG was way too PC for me now even though I was OC at the time.
As I grew up I realized why major conflicts were eternal...they were a bunch of PC pussies.

I didn't mind TNG, and really liked DS9. Voyager was a bit hard to take. I thought Enterprise was better than it got credit for.

But this time they have jumped the shark, they are defiling the franchise.
they defiled the franchise with Enterprise....

[

It's a model that Netflix and Amazon long ago leveraged. CBS is late to the game and doesn't grasp that a pay service does not embed commercials. The CBS services is moving into a highly crowded field that is dominated by Netflix and Amazon, with Sony (Playstation,) Apple, and Microsoft all crowding into it. Sony and Microsoft both have top notch technology (as do Netflix and Amazon.) Apple TV may be crap, but they are negotiating with Microsoft to license their technology (as usual) so should soon have decent streaming.

Besides the Triple A list, there is Vudu, Sling, Hulu, HBOgo, etc.CBS is WAY down the list, late to the game and running shit software.

I don't see this ending well for them.

I'm not sure who they think their audience is going to be. Who has been clamoring for a pay streaming service with commercials? :p

CBS would have to have enough content that people aren't willing to do without. I don't think they do. They are supposed to offer a "largely" commercial-free subscription for $10 a month instead of $6, but they don't have the kind of library and original content people can get from Netflix or Amazon for that price.

Does anyone know anything about this show? I came across it on Wiki and it says it's set for airing on CBS All Access (whatever that is). It only lists one episode with no airing date. The CBS says it's in production @ www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-discovery/news/

Queer Trek? Yeah, it's a guaranteed turkey. When pushing the lefts political agenda is the basis for a show, entertainment will be lost.
It's PC Star Trek for the same-sex attracted crowd.
I think it's more about $$$.

As the article below notes, Hollywood seems to be engaged in "queerbaiting"; "media where the creators integrate homoeroticism and other identifiers to lure in a LGBT audience, yet never include actual representation for fear of alienating a wider audience." It's a threefer for those invested in these entertainment projects - they attract more audience members, squash any major protests by this same group of audience members and also generate just enough controversy worth millions of dollars in free advertising. Let's not forget Beauty and the Beast opened to record sales. No doubt the homophobes bitching about it on USMB contributed to those sales. ;)

Are ‘Beauty and the Beast’ and ‘Power Rangers’ queerbaiting LGBT fans?

Box Office: 'Beauty And The Beast' Tops 'Batman V Superman' And 'Suicide Squad'
Walt Disney's Beauty and the Beast continues to reign supreme as the Emma Watson/Dan Stevens romantic musical earned another $9.5 million on Tuesday, putting its domestic cume over the $330m mark. The official 12-day domestic total is $335.6m.

[

Queer Trek? Yeah, it's a guaranteed turkey. When pushing the lefts political agenda is the basis for a show, entertainment will be lost.

I'm sure that there was someone like you in the 1960's who said the same thing about Star Trek encouraging mixed marriages.

125580489_startrek2_403446c.jpg

I'll bet that image still makes you angry 50 years later.

and I'll be 20 years go, this made you angry.

ds9_kiss.png

Now, all that said, my problem with Star Trek Discovery is that once again, you have Viacom trying to build a network around a Star Trek show.

Hey, guys, you tried this for 11 years with UPN, and all you did was produce two mediocre Star Trek shows and a bunch of other shows nobody remembers today.

They could produce a reasonably budgeted Star Trek show and put it on the CW, which they own, and frankly, already has most of that audience watching its programming. It would probably get respectable ratings.

(CW is what UPN aspired to be and never achieved).

The irony was, that for all it's problems, TNG did a great job of introducing the Trek Universe to a whole new generation of fans and promoted the franchise because it had a good cast and some good writing after season 2.

This show has no chance.

well, they've already greenlit a second season.

Now, I didn't get on the bandwagon for the same reason others didn't. I didn't like the pilot that much and am kind of offended at the thought of paying for a TV show. But I recently got the blue rays for this, and its... actually pretty good.

I would say that it isn't your father's Trek. It's a lot darker, the characters swear a lot. I still have three more episodes to watch... but we'll see. I like some of the plot twists.

What I don't care for is what they did with the Klingons. But they've been messing with the Klingons since 1978 and the Motion picture gave them bumps on the head for some reason.

This show has no chance.

Now, I didn't get on the bandwagon for the same reason others didn't. I didn't like the pilot that much and am kind of offended at the thought of paying for a TV show. But I recently got the blue rays for this, and its... actually pretty good.

I would say that it isn't your father's Trek. It's a lot darker, the characters swear a lot. I still have three more episodes to watch... but we'll see. I like some of the plot twists.

What I don't care for is what they did with the Klingons. But they've been messing with the Klingons since 1978 and the Motion picture gave them bumps on the head for some reason.

The evolution of Klingons through the various Star Trek shows and movies has been pretty silly. Discovery is different from the other Star Trek stuff I've seen, but I still enjoyed the first season.

The evolution of Klingons through the various Star Trek shows and movies has been pretty silly. Discovery is different from the other Star Trek stuff I've seen, but I still enjoyed the first season.

I think the think about the Klingons is that they are always kind of a story device. In the 1960s, they were a metaphor for the Soviets. In TNG, they were a metaphor for glasnost and reconciliation. Discovery's Klingons seem to be religious fanatics and a metaphor for our Jihadist enemies. Or maybe I am reading too much into it.

You are telling us that you're actually PAYING to watch this?

I'll wait for the free reruns in a year or so.

Does anyone know anything about this show? I came across it on Wiki and it says it's set for airing on CBS All Access (whatever that is). It only lists one episode with no airing date. The CBS says it's in production @ www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-discovery/news/

A homophobe saying that pushing the idea of science and education is leftist and part of a political agenda.
Hilarious!

This show has no chance.

I only saw a couple episodes. I saw little relationship to any of the previous star treks.

Story lines on Star Trek and TNG and to some extent Voyager and Enterprise were often morality lessons exploring such topics as the importance of each moment of life, immortality, racial prejudice, the needs of the many vs the needs of the few, limits of honesty, what it means to be human, importance of honor, individual freedom, etc... Discovery just seems to be another space adventure. Operation Wetback - Wikipedia,

No doubt you will be one of the 15 dedicated viewers of the show.
The original Star Trek series was the Wagon Train TV series set in outer space, exploring a new frontier, aliens replacing the Indians and assorted characters along the way, and each week a morality tale where good conquers evil.

I only saw a couple episodes. I saw little relationship to any of the previous star treks.

Story lines on Star Trek and TNG and to some extent Voyager and Enterprise were often morality lessons exploring such topics as the importance of each moment of life, immortality, racial prejudice, the needs of the many vs the needs of the few, limits of honesty, what it means to be human, importance of honor, individual freedom, etc... Discovery just seems to be another space adventure.

I kind of see that as a valid criticism. This is Star Trek for HBO. People are dropping F-bombs and having sex.

This is more in the mold of DS9 or Babylon 5, where you have continuing storylines...Everything isn't wrapped up in an hour.

Story lines on Star Trek and TNG and to some extent Voyager and Enterprise were often morality lessons exploring such topics as the importance of each moment of life, immortality, racial prejudice, the needs of the many vs the needs of the few, limits of honesty, what it means to be human, importance of honor, individual freedom, etc... Discovery just seems to be another space adventure.

I kind of see that as a valid criticism. This is Star Trek for HBO. People are dropping F-bombs and having sex.

This is more in the mold of DS9 or Babylon 5, where you have continuing storylines...Everything isn't wrapped up in an hour.
Most series have gone to continuing story lines. If they had to depend on the quality of each episode to keep audiences returning, most of them would be lucky to last a session.

Most series have gone to continuing story lines. If they had to depend on the quality of each episode to keep audiences returning, most of them would be lucky to last a session.

You know what, I kind of take an opposite view. I think "episodic" story telling in TV was a detriment.

Let's take Star Trek. You had "City on the Edge of Forever", where Kirk was willing to let the whole of history become undone to save the life of the woman he loved, but in the end, let's her get run over by a truck to correct the timeline. This was kind of a profound thing.

And it never gets mentioned again.

That's why I think the best Trek was actually Deep Space Nine. It had this great story arc that unfolded over seven seasons. Things happened that changed characters over the course of the series and we saw that change.

I think part of the reason for moving away from self-contained episode television is the changing way people watch TV. Binge-watching makes longer story arcs not only more viable, but in many ways preferable.

Of course, I think the idea that "most series have gone to continuing story lines" is an exaggeration. There is still plenty of episodic television. :dunno:

Forum List

Back