Star Trek- Better than I thought it was going to be!

Going to see it tonight along with Will Smiths new movie. Taking all the kids to the drive in to see it.

I just read a brief review that said the new Smith movie was pretty bad, but I'm still curious. :)

I understand it is the best M. Night Shamalayan movie since "Sixth Sense."

That would be odd, considering I don't think Sixth Sense was his best movie. :p I preferred both Unbreakable and Signs.

Well I'm back and I don't even know where to begin.

SPOILERS

I feel sorry for Will Smith. He is a talented actor trapped in a TERRIBLE script. The visuals were nice enough but everything else was shit. He was cast as a total drill sarge which is completely out of his element. Then there was the whole liberal political bullshit shoved down your throat right off the bat with the whole humans are parasites to the earth routine. It really irritates me when movies and music push political propaganda so blatantly. The redemption and forgiveness part of the story was ok I guess. Save your money. Not even worth a rent.

JJ Abrams. ......sigh

Way to totally rip off a clasic script with an iconic bad guy and totally do it a disservice. I've stated before that his movies are good for nothing but explosions and cgi. Without that he would have had nil.

Star Trek has always been about the iconic characters and the stories they have to tell. Problem is Kirk, Spock, Picard and to a lesser extent Janeway all developed characters that resonated over time with their prospective audiences over so when you saw them on the big screen (obviously not Janeway) it was a relationship you were ready to rekindle. Aside from this new Spock I think all the other characters are empty shells. Sure they mimic the traditional characters but that's it. There is no depth to any of them. And as I stated I have no respect for this total rip off of an already established story. JJ said when he first got Star Trek that this new timeline would afford him to take established characters in a new direction. Well that's a big ole fail. Visuals aside this movie was about a 4/10 for me. I also didn't enjoy the references to the war on terror although I will give him a pass for that because Star Trek has always been a reflection of current events.

This series needs a NEW crew with a new story line developed on TV for a few years before it returns to the silver screen. Star Trek deserves better than Hollywood noob actors right out of the box.

Sorry for the rant. It's late and I was disappointed

This series needs a NEW crew with a new story line developed on TV for a few years before it returns to the silver screen. Star Trek deserves better than Hollywood noob actors right out of the box.

Not at all. I think you make some good points.

I do think the ultimately blaphemy is about to take place here, but overall, I'm not sure that a new TV crew setting up a new set of movies is a good idea.

There's no desire to make movies with the Voyager, Deep Space Nine or Enterprise crews, and there's a reason for that.

Let's be really honest, as much affection as we had for the TNG crew, all four of their movie outings were horrible. First Contact was almost a good movie, but it relied on a vengeful Picard wanting to murder the Borg for sticking things in him. (Forgetting that Picard dealt with the Borg on other occassions and was completely cool-headed about it.)

For the Original Crew, let's not forget the Odd/Even Meme- The odd numbered ones were awful and the even numbered ones were good. And even that's a little cheap.

The Motionless Picture and the Final Frontier sucked. The directors (one of whom happened to be Shatner) didn't really understand the characters. The Search for Spock was better than people give it credit for, but at the end of the day, it was just about resetting the last movie and getting Spock back into his body.

For the even number ones, "The Undiscovered Country" has the same problem First Contact Does. It completely relies on the Captain being bent on Revenge so he can learn a lesson in the end. It means they had to write Kirk as an anti-Klingon bigot before he could redeem himself.

Save the Whales... Er, The Voyage Home was a fun romp, watching the characters act in our time. There's nothing special about it, though.

Ironically, the Wrath of Khan, the film nearly all of them tried to replicate, especially this new one, was kind of a happy accident. It was made on the cheap, and they didn't know if they were going to release it as a Made for TV or Big Screen production. Special effects footage was reused. There were a mish-mash of four plot threads they put on the screen. And it turned out to be pretty good, maybe because it was allowed to develop organically instead of 50 suits saying, "Hey, we need to have that in there, too."

Last edited:
I've always felt that the reason the movies based on the original series worked so well (or at least some of them) and the Next Generation movies did not is the amount of time between the television and film incarnations. There was a big gap between the OS and the movies, where TNG went almost immediately to the big screen. It ended up that TNG movies were like long tv episodes.

I've always felt that the reason the movies based on the original series worked so well (or at least some of them) and the Next Generation movies did not is the amount of time between the television and film incarnations. There was a big gap between the OS and the movies, where TNG went almost immediately to the big screen. It ended up that TNG movies were like long tv episodes.

it also has a lot to do with who is running the show.....and Rick Berman is considered the guy who slowly killed Star Trek.....

I'll be taking in the new one this upcoming week. I found the first reboot an excellent movie of Star Trek. After that one, I'm hooked again. :D

I'll be taking in the new one this upcoming week. I found the first reboot an excellent movie of Star Trek. After that one, I'm hooked again. :D

i am hoping if one thing happens because of these movies is that Paramount will get Pocket Books to get the Novels rolling again like they were before....

Well I'm back and I don't even know where to begin.

SPOILERS

I feel sorry for Will Smith. He is a talented actor trapped in a TERRIBLE script. The visuals were nice enough but everything else was shit. He was cast as a total drill sarge which is completely out of his element. Then there was the whole liberal political bullshit shoved down your throat right off the bat with the whole humans are parasites to the earth routine. It really irritates me when movies and music push political propaganda so blatantly. The redemption and forgiveness part of the story was ok I guess. Save your money. Not even worth a rent.

JJ Abrams. ......sigh

Way to totally rip off a clasic script with an iconic bad guy and totally do it a disservice. I've stated before that his movies are good for nothing but explosions and cgi. Without that he would have had nil.

Star Trek has always been about the iconic characters and the stories they have to tell. Problem is Kirk, Spock, Picard and to a lesser extent Janeway all developed characters that resonated over time with their prospective audiences over so when you saw them on the big screen (obviously not Janeway) it was a relationship you were ready to rekindle. Aside from this new Spock I think all the other characters are empty shells. Sure they mimic the traditional characters but that's it. There is no depth to any of them. And as I stated I have no respect for this total rip off of an already established story. JJ said when he first got Star Trek that this new timeline would afford him to take established characters in a new direction. Well that's a big ole fail. Visuals aside this movie was about a 4/10 for me. I also didn't enjoy the references to the war on terror although I will give him a pass for that because Star Trek has always been a reflection of current events.

Exactly. Batman has been rebooted so many times, yet the only time the movies went off on a tangent is when they gave them to Burton. I wouldn't have a problem with a reboot of Star Trek if they actually started with a new story instead of trying to turn them into an expensive version of crap.

i am hoping if one thing happens because of these movies is that Paramount will get Pocket Books to get the Novels rolling again like they were before....

It's a rather good idea. New young trekkers. :)

Aren't they still rolling out ST novels based on all the various series? I know that hundreds of them have already been written.

two favorite st movies?

Mine are wrath of khan
first contact (i love the borg as an enemy)

i disagree about first contact, but i also was a fan of the borg. All the next gen movies were just too much like long episodes for my taste.

I'd probably go with wrath of khan followed by the undiscovered country.

fly her apart then!

two favorite st movies?

Mine are wrath of khan
first contact (i love the borg as an enemy)

i disagree about first contact, but i also was a fan of the borg. All the next gen movies were just too much like long episodes for my taste.

I'd probably go with wrath of khan followed by the undiscovered country.

fly her apart then!

Here's how I'd rate them.

The Wrath of Khan.
Voyage Home
Undiscovered Country - Dinged for Racist Kirk.
The Search for Spock- Fun, but just a contrivance to bring back Spock.
First Contact
The Motion Picture (Or as I like to call it, The MOtionless Picture.)
The Final Frontier
Insurrection
Nemesis
Generations. - HATED it because they destroyed the Enterprise D and killed Kirk for no good reason.

If I were to rate Abrams two movies, I'd put them just above First Contact.

I confess an appreciation for McLean & McLean's Star Trek Parody

Disclaimer (Bad Language mmmkay)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueZlW38HfX4]maclean & maclean star trek parody.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

It's a rather good idea. New young trekkers. :)

the books were mostly well written.....some really good adventures.....

Aren't they still rolling out ST novels based on all the various series? I know that hundreds of them have already been written.

no.....the OS and NG are still there but not every 3 months like before they are doing about 3 a year.....DS9 hasnt had one in at least 2 years ...Voyager about 1 a year if that.....Titan far and few between.....New Frontier far and few between.....Corp of Engineers just stopped ......they developed Slipstream Drive now and Voyager is leading a group of 7 ships back to the Delta Quadrant....Titan met the Beings who created the Borg and told them what has transpired with them and these beings came out of their self imposed seclusion to end the Borg threat...for good......so far the "new" guys haven't had any original adventures just the novelizations of the movies....

Forum List

Back