Spill, baby spill....42,000 gallons a day

Another "who cares?" story.

The earth has oil in it. Sometimes it gets into the water. BFD. The earth will take care of it regardless of whatever we do.

What a dumb post.

Why?

This is a man made issue, and needs to be cleaned up. Shit like this happens, but just saying "Awww, fuck it" is irresponsible. Leaving the spill to drift wherever is just giving ammo to kook environmentalists who will use it as a precedent in trying to block oil drilling elsewhere.

Leaving the spill to drift wherever is just giving ammo to kook environmentalists who will use it as a precedent in trying to block oil drilling elsewhere.

Yeah, because "giving ammo to kook environmentalists" is the most disturbing potential consequence of this disaster. Tens of thousands of livelihoods lost, a way of life, and an entire coast line over several states drenched in oil - not so big a deal, but "giving ammo to kook environmentalists" - unthinkable!

Its good you've got your priorities straight.

Leaving the spill to drift wherever is just giving ammo to kook environmentalists who will use it as a precedent in trying to block oil drilling elsewhere.

Yeah, because "giving ammo to kook environmentalists" is the most disturbing potential consequence of this disaster. Tens of thousands of livelihoods lost, a way of life, and an entire coast line over several states drenched in oil - not so big a deal, but "giving ammo to kook environmentalists" - unthinkable!

I had left out the bit about the specific issues of coastline and livelihoods because I thought that would be self evident, not because I didn't think them important. I thought I had alluded to my views in that respect by saying that not cleaning up because "mother nature will take care if it" was irresponsible, which to my way of thinking is a separate issue from what is politically advisable. Clearly allusion is insufficient for you.

So, to give you a clearer picture, I agree with every one of your statements, with of course the exception of the unnecessary sarcastic one about my priorities.

It continues to surprise me (although it shouldn't) how posters assume and attack rather than ask for clarification of the opinions of others on points they have not specifically covered. No wonder threads degenerate to invective and animosity so quickly.

The spill from the Exxon Valdez is still polluting the area of that spill. And damaging wildlife. This one is far worse, and is damaging a very special area.

Worse yet, for those responding to this horror, hurricane season starts in 30 days, and it looks to be an especially active one, perhaps on the order of 2005.

It looks to be a perfect storm of an environmental disaster.

Yep, you're right, that is the same thing that scares the hell out of me.

I mean, it's one thing for oil to wash up on shore, it's quite another thing for it to rain down from the sky up to 50 miles inland.

kanyewest.gif

Send help now, because Barry Obubblehead doesn't like pelicans!

Why isn't the left accusing the President of being in bed with 'big oil'?
Why do you say that? Has he been having secret meetings with big oil?

It seems like if the person (or companybehind them) has money or political power, he meets with them in 'secret meetings'. Taxpayers can't even find out who's lunch they are buying in the white house. This is the most opaque administration, ....ever.

Some of the newest numbers are up to 850,000 gallons per day.
The gulf of Mexico is history.
Now what's old Yellowstone and New Madrid up to these days?
That'll finish things off.
AND
The forecast for the 2008 hurricane season now includes:

* 15 named storms
* 80 named storm days
* 8 hurricanes
* 40 hurricane days
* 4 intense hurricanes (Category 3, 4, or 5)
* 9 intense hurricane days

The Net Tropical Cyclone (NTC) activity is predicted to be 160 percent of normal (100 percent) for the long term average. Climatology data results average 5.9 hurricanes each season, 9.6 named storms and 2.3 intense storms (Category 3, 4, or 5).

Read more at Suite101: Hurricane Season Predictions: 15 Named Storms, 8 Hurricanes Due to Hit Atlantic Basin in 2008 http://meteorologyclimatology.suite101.com/article.cfm/hurricane_season_predictions#ixzz0mcGDCfGE

Last edited:
THE SMELL IS IN MY CITY NOW

Health officials order air quality testing after fuel smell blankets metro area | NOLA.com

F U BP AND CAMERON INTERNATIONAL, WE HAVE A LOT OF LAWYERS IN THIS STATE AND BY THE TIME ITS OVER WE ARE GOING TO FUCK YOU

ahhh, the real reason for concern.... a way to get money without actually earning it. There is a 'disaster', and they are concerned more about getting the 'money' than getting the cleanup.

Maybe some people see it as an opportunity, but I think they have a right to be pissed. Getting it cleaned up is the least the responsible parties should do. It would also be nice to think that lessons have been learned from this.

Then I take it the right wing and libertarian mantra of corporations regulating themselves and no nanny govt or regulations beeing needed have been blown out of the water, so so speak.

As if we did not have thousands of examples prior to this.
If the mantra was true we would not need courts to prosecute corporations for wrongdoing.

In a related thread a libertarian was raising heck about the WH not acting fast enough on this.
I about spewed dew on my screen when I read that ;)

I'm sure the right wing nutters will just say "hey, accidents happen!" and that will be good enough for them.

Underwater drilling is not ancient technology. It is dangerous and demanding on equipment, men and resources. If you take all the precautions you believe are necessary, 'something' will happen to prove you wrong (we call it Murphy's law). This is not 'crossing the street' with simple rules and precautions. Equipment, even the metal used, men, weather, ocean currents, pressures from deep under the gulf all the way to the surface must be considered, and yes, accidents happen. (If they didn't we would not have advanced, technically, in any field, and we would still be riding in vehicles without seatbelts or safety concerns.) I have no affiliation with BP, but I can say, confidently that the company would prefer to 'sell' 5000 gal per day, than to clean it up afterwards.
You sound like a serious lib: someone that demands other people take risks and then want their rewards because you pointed out their mistakes (like they couldn't see them for themselves). What a bore.

Yawn

Will you please list for me all the ways we use oil? Then you can suggest how we live without it. You could take the lead and stop using oil products: gasoline, diesel, plastic, carpeting, fake wood, shoes, etc, etc, etc. Be part of the solution, not a hysterical distraction.

Yawn

Will you please list for me all the ways we use oil? Then you can suggest how we live without it. You could take the lead and stop using oil products: gasoline, diesel, plastic, carpeting, fake wood, shoes, etc, etc, etc. Be part of the solution, not a hysterical distraction.

Hemp plants will make oil, the oil from it can make plastics, the hemp fiber can be used to make clothing, fiberglass (which Corvette uses), and food.

Next?

Why isn't the left accusing the President of being in bed with 'big oil'?

No, that was Dick Cheney...

Obama has had DAYS to fix the problem ,weren't you one of the turds whining about Katrina and being Bush's fault cause 3 days after all the roads, bridges and airfields were washed out the Government had not gotten water to people left to fend for themselves by the Governor and the Mayor?

THE SMELL IS IN MY CITY NOW

Health officials order air quality testing after fuel smell blankets metro area | NOLA.com

F U BP AND CAMERON INTERNATIONAL, WE HAVE A LOT OF LAWYERS IN THIS STATE AND BY THE TIME ITS OVER WE ARE GOING TO FUCK YOU

ahhh, the real reason for concern.... a way to get money without actually earning it. There is a 'disaster', and they are concerned more about getting the 'money' than getting the cleanup.

I'm not sure how you would have BP compensate the fishermen of Louisiana. Money is the typical way to do it.

If you take all the precautions you believe are necessary, 'something' will happen to prove you wrong (we call it Murphy's law).

Is that the argument you think BP, Cameron Intl, Haliburton or whoever turns out to be at fault here, should present to the judge?

If so, I suggest you be the defense attorney. Your "hey, shit happens your honor!" argument would certainly ensure the plaintiffs' victory.

I have no affiliation with BP, but I can say, confidently that the company would prefer to 'sell' 5000 gal per day, than to clean it up afterwards. You sound like a serious lib: someone that demands other people take risks and then want their rewards because you pointed out their mistakes (like they couldn't see them for themselves). What a bore.

Risks? What do YOU have at stake here? Is the economy and environment where YOU like at risk because of this disaster? Because the people of the Gulf Coast are about to pay a hefty price for the oil YOU'VE been pumping into your vehicle all this time.

Last edited:

Yawn

Will you please list how many things you love that will be gone because of this disaster? After that you can lecture me on how wonderful oil is.

You picked a great time to promote the virtues of oil BTW. Maybe you and the rest of the righties should all rally around the oil companies! That's sure to get you votes in November.

No, that was Dick Cheney...

Obama has had DAYS to fix the problem ,weren't you one of the turds whining about Katrina and being Bush's fault cause 3 days after all the roads, bridges and airfields were washed out the Government had not gotten water to people left to fend for themselves by the Governor and the Mayor?

There's no need. Paul Krugman beat you to it

The Oil Spill Is Obama’s Fault - Paul Krugman Blog - NYTimes.com

You fucks are so predictable.

Interestingly enough, there was some stuff on the news about BP today.

It seems that in Norway, BP is required to have a sonic shutoff valve in case of blowouts like what just happened.

During the Bush Jr. administration, those restrictions were lifted here in the US. It seems that they didn't want to pay the 500,000 dollars to install one of these things, instead, they cut corners and ended up with a 5 BILLION dollar profit for the 1st quarter of 2010.

Kind of a waste, especially considering the obscene profits they're making.

By the way, where the fuck is the Wasilla Chihuahua on this issue? Seems the dumb GOP whore is being strangely silent right now.

Interestingly enough, there was some stuff on the news about BP today.

It seems that in Norway, BP is required to have a sonic shutoff valve in case of blowouts like what just happened.

During the Bush Jr. administration, those restrictions were lifted here in the US. It seems that they didn't want to pay the 500,000 dollars to install one of these things, instead, they cut corners and ended up with a 5 BILLION dollar profit for the 1st quarter of 2010.

Kind of a waste, especially considering the obscene profits they're making.

By the way, where the fuck is the Wasilla Chihuahua on this issue? Seems the dumb GOP whore is being strangely silent right now.

Yeah, I heard this too, but someone told it wasn't true, and that there were five remotes to shut off the oil, all of which have failed, and there are robots at the bottom of the ocean trying to trip the valve. I don't know if that's true or not, but that's what I was told.

I'm just going to respond to everyone in 1 post, hope that works for all interested parties. :)

Amanda, are you seriously this fucking ignorant?

I guess I am.

The earth will be here long after we're gone. We can't destroy the planet. Given enough time it will repair itself and life, if it's eliminated, will appear again.

If that's ignorance sign me up.

Another clueless post from Amanda.

I expect a little better from you, Chris. Is that really the best you've got? Do you not believe the earth is self-healing?

Thank you, Mr X. :)

Uh ... the spill didn't occur naturally, is 80 by 40 miles wide, and an ecological nightmare yet she wants to minimalize it like it's no biggie and it will just work itself out without our help ... in a few decades, of course.

I think you may be reading more into it than I actually said, A15.

yeah that is why it makes earthquakes, floods, hurricanes, etc to kill off the human infestation.
:cuckoo:

What is why?

Another completely simplistic outlook void of understanding and culpability. I expect this from Conservatives as they never display understanding, culpability and always opt for the simplistic.

This is an interesting post. Lots of assumptions. Did I ever say BP shouldn't be held responsible? I don't think I did. What I said is that I'm not worried about it. Regardless of what we do, everything will turn out fine, even if we don't live to see it.

^ pure ignorance

Really? So you don't think the earth has the ability to heal itself? What did it do before we became so arrogant as to think we were actually in charge?

Bitch you still feel that way now?

Do you mean even after you negged me twice? Or... based on something else?

Seriously people, we can fine BP, we can try to minimize the damage, but regardless, in the end, the earth will take care of it. That is reality. You can call me dumb if you want, it surely won't be the first time, but the fact remains that eventually everything will return to normal regardless of our actions. It's not the end of the world as we know it.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back