Spill, baby spill....42,000 gallons a day

we could have been off oil two decades ago if ti wasnt for speical interests

Why isn't the left accusing the President of 'not caring' about the 'environment'? Why isn't the left accusing the President of being in bed with 'big oil'?

The silence is deafening!

Another "who cares?" story.

The earth has oil in it. Sometimes it gets into the water. BFD. The earth will take care of it regardless of whatever we do.

yeah that is why it makes earthquakes, floods, hurricanes, etc to kill off the human infestation.
:cuckoo:

Looks like it's 5,000 bbls/day not 1k.

Coast Guard: New oil leak in Gulf of Mexico

NEW ORLEANS – The Coast Guard says a new leak has been found at the site where an oil platform exploded and sank in the Gulf of Mexico.

Rear Adm. Mary Landry says that 5,000 barrels a day is now estimated to be leaking. Officials had been saying for days that it was 1,000 barrels a day.

Last edited:
Very good. And Geo-thermal is looking better every day;
Geothermal. Cheap. Abundant. Cheap. | SolveClimate.com

With reporting by Molika Ashford

(Part 1 of 3 on Geothermal Energy)

As America’s love affair with coal cools off, geothermal energy is getting hot, hot, hot.

Why? Because the secret is out of the bag: geothermal is cheap and abundant.

For $800 million to $1 billion in R&D funding – spread out over 15 years -- geothermal could be deployed on a scale that would produce more than 100,000 MW of additional new (low-emissions) capacity in the US by 2050.

That’s less than the price of one 275 MW clean-coal plant and more than 360 times more energy.

The best part?

The availability of the geothermal resource base is ginormous: 130,000 times America's current yearly consumption of energy. The technology has also developed rapidly. The latest and most promising are Enhanced Geothermal Systems (EGS). And most of the key technical requirements to make EGS economical over wide swathes of the country are already in place.

The spill now covers 2,100 square miles of ocean.

It is the size of the state of Delaware and growing.

With a vast oil slick now within only 20 miles of the ecologically fragile Louisiana coastline, Coast Guard officials said they were considering a “controlled burn” of the petroleum on the surface of the Gulf of Mexico.

Rear Adm. Mary E. Landry, the federal on-scene coordinator for the spill, said such a burn might be conducted as soon as Wednesday.

A joint government and industry task force has been unable to stop crude oil from streaming out of a broken pipe attached to a well 5,000 feet below sea level. The leaks were found Saturday, days after an oil rig to which the pipe was attached exploded and sank in the gulf about 50 miles southeast of Venice, La. An estimated 42,000 gallons a day are now spilling into the Gulf of Mexico.

Officials said Tuesday that wind projections indicated that the oil would not reach land in the next three days, and it was unclear exactly where along the Gulf Coast it might arrive first.

Concern Grows About Impact of Gulf Oil Spill - NYTimes.com

Wow. 42,000 gallons. That's exactly 1,000 barrels - 1/10th the size of a typical petrochemical barge (though towards the lower end). I used to work on petro barges. I guess I never really appreciate how much was in there. This is a massive oil spill and it will still take 10 days of spilling to equal the size of the smallest petro barge I worked on.

1000 barrels a day is really not much in economic terms. In ecological terms its a disaster.

Last edited:
Very good. And Geo-thermal is looking better every day;
Geothermal. Cheap. Abundant. Cheap. | SolveClimate.com

With reporting by Molika Ashford

(Part 1 of 3 on Geothermal Energy)

As America’s love affair with coal cools off, geothermal energy is getting hot, hot, hot.

Why? Because the secret is out of the bag: geothermal is cheap and abundant.

For $800 million to $1 billion in R&D funding – spread out over 15 years -- geothermal could be deployed on a scale that would produce more than 100,000 MW of additional new (low-emissions) capacity in the US by 2050.

That’s less than the price of one 275 MW clean-coal plant and more than 360 times more energy.

The best part?

The availability of the geothermal resource base is ginormous: 130,000 times America's current yearly consumption of energy. The technology has also developed rapidly. The latest and most promising are Enhanced Geothermal Systems (EGS). And most of the key technical requirements to make EGS economical over wide swathes of the country are already in place.

Doesn't this belong in the "Old Rocks can't stay on topic to save his ass" thread?
:D

BTW folks, I just wanna point out, this isn't the oil's fault. Oil is good for Louisiana because it provides us with tons of jobs.

So its not the oil's fault. Its BP's fault Dozens (if not more) other companies operate rigs in the gulf, yet I don't see any of their rigs exploding and causing a 1,000 bbl/day leak.

So when you go to fill up your tank next, just remember

FUCK BP

I'll be dumping my tiny number of shares of BP stock tomorrow morning.

Forum List

Back