Spill, baby spill....42,000 gallons a day

BTW folks, I just wanna point out, this isn't the oil's fault. Oil is good for Louisiana because it provides us with tons of jobs.

So its not the oil's fault. Its BP's fault Dozens (if not more) other companies operate rigs in the gulf, yet I don't see any of their rigs exploding and causing a 1,000 bbl/day leak.

So when you go to fill up your tank next, just remember

FUCK BP

I'll be dumping my tiny number of shares of BP stock tomorrow morning.

Or maybe it's the fault of some half-asleep machinest who cross-threded a bolt.

6622799-0-large.jpg

Or maybe it's the fault of some half-asleep machinest who cross-threded a bolt.

BP is responsible for the actions of its employees while on the job.

BP leased the rig from Transocean. Cameron provided the blowout gear.

Cameron Provided Blowout Gear for Rig That Sank (Update1) - BusinessWeek

Do you honestly think BP would be spending a dime on this if they weren't the ones legally responsible?

BP Plc, the London- based oil producer that leased the Deepwater Horizon from Transocean, is spending $6 million a day trying to clean up an oil spill from the well and stop a leak that is gushing crude from the seabed at a rate of about 1,000 barrels a day.

I'm not saying they are the only ones who bear responsibility, but they bear the primary responsibility.

Some lawyer is going to get rich off this shit

Last edited:
The people whose livehood is dependent on the seafoods from the Gulf are quite worried about what this is going to do to those resources.

Looks like some righties on here don't support small business if it stinks like fish.

This sucks man.
This is untrue. They are just so married to their talking points that they'll throw anyone under the bus.

This is tragic.

We need oil, ergo, we need offshore drilling.

But huge spills like this don't clean up fast Pruedo bay is still polluted and how long ago was that spill?

Now the water off LA is a very important source of fishing and so, even if you don't give a rat's ass about the environment, you probably care about the economy.

Well, this isn't great for the economy either.

As to blaming BP?

I'm pretty damned sure they didn't WANT TO lose 5,000 barrels a day of oil ino the gulf, aren't you?

This is going to cost them billions of dollars.

No doubt we're eventually discover the cause of this tragedy.

Perhaps BP will be found to have done something (or not done something) that lead to this event.

Ir perhaps we'll discover that they are blameless and this was truly an accident that was unforseeable.

Still...the event happened, the outcomes are not good, and yet, and yet, and yet, we STILL need to pump oil out of the gulf.

This is just one more wake-up call that this nation needs to get off its dependence on oil.

We cannot do that quickly, but we need to start seriously trying to find alternate SAFE forms of energy.

Last edited:
Another "who cares?" story.

The earth has oil in it. Sometimes it gets into the water. BFD. The earth will take care of it regardless of whatever we do.
Another completely simplistic outlook void of understanding and culpability. I expect this from Conservatives as they never display understanding, culpability and always opt for the simplistic.

This blinder mentality allows them to push for more and more environmental degradation without conscience.

The earth has oil in it. Sometimes it gets into the water. BFD. The earth will take care of it regardless of whatever we do.
Another completely simplistic outlook void of understanding and culpability. I expect this from Conservatives as they never display understanding, culpability and always opt for the simplistic.

This blinder mentality allows them to push for more and more environmental degradation without conscience.

You can always live in a cave in Pashtun.

The people whose livehood is dependent on the seafoods from the Gulf are quite worried about what this is going to do to those resources.

Looks like some righties on here don't support small business if it stinks like fish.

This sucks man.
This is untrue. They are just so married to their talking points that they'll throw anyone under the bus.

I don't see how its a right wing talking point. Are you saying that some righties actually believe that oil spills aren't so bad and that its all a liberal environmental conspiracy to brainwash people into thinking they are?

You can always live in a cave in Pashtun.
That's the choice? Either turn a blind eye to the obvious exploitation of the environment or join Al Qaeda?

Or is this more of the no nuance black/white world view of the Conservatives?

Just so you have enough cheap gas to fill the Hummer, what ever happens to the rest of the planet is not your concern? Great outlook there! Unsustainable and inexcusable all at the same time!

Very good. And Geo-thermal is looking better every day;
Geothermal. Cheap. Abundant. Cheap. | SolveClimate.com

With reporting by Molika Ashford

(Part 1 of 3 on Geothermal Energy)

As America’s love affair with coal cools off, geothermal energy is getting hot, hot, hot.

Why? Because the secret is out of the bag: geothermal is cheap and abundant.

For $800 million to $1 billion in R&D funding – spread out over 15 years -- geothermal could be deployed on a scale that would produce more than 100,000 MW of additional new (low-emissions) capacity in the US by 2050.

That’s less than the price of one 275 MW clean-coal plant and more than 360 times more energy.

The best part?

The availability of the geothermal resource base is ginormous: 130,000 times America's current yearly consumption of energy. The technology has also developed rapidly. The latest and most promising are Enhanced Geothermal Systems (EGS). And most of the key technical requirements to make EGS economical over wide swathes of the country are already in place.

Doesn't this belong in the "Old Rocks can't stay on topic to save his ass" thread?
:D

Yep. And the same about the windfarms. However, had we began using our natural clean resources, perhaps we would not be seeing this disaster.

Very good. And Geo-thermal is looking better every day;
Geothermal. Cheap. Abundant. Cheap. | SolveClimate.com

With reporting by Molika Ashford

(Part 1 of 3 on Geothermal Energy)

As America’s love affair with coal cools off, geothermal energy is getting hot, hot, hot.

Why? Because the secret is out of the bag: geothermal is cheap and abundant.

For $800 million to $1 billion in R&D funding – spread out over 15 years -- geothermal could be deployed on a scale that would produce more than 100,000 MW of additional new (low-emissions) capacity in the US by 2050.

That’s less than the price of one 275 MW clean-coal plant and more than 360 times more energy.

The best part?

The availability of the geothermal resource base is ginormous: 130,000 times America's current yearly consumption of energy. The technology has also developed rapidly. The latest and most promising are Enhanced Geothermal Systems (EGS). And most of the key technical requirements to make EGS economical over wide swathes of the country are already in place.

Doesn't this belong in the "Old Rocks can't stay on topic to save his ass" thread?
:D

Yep. And the same about the windfarms. However, had we began using our natural clean resources, perhaps we would not be seeing this disaster.

Perhaps.

Meanwhile...

Here come da military!

BP welcomes military help for larger Gulf oil leak

Small ray of sunshine, Florida GOPer pols are rethinking drilling off the coast of Florida.

:thup:

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I heard today that people in Pensacola were complaining of the smell already.

Tourism is the lifeblood of the state's economy. If there is an oil slick that slams into some place like Sarasota or Naples, and ruins beaches for years, it will devastate the local economy.

New Topics

Forum List

Back