Spill, baby spill....42,000 gallons a day

First, according to the experts, this oil spill is going to keep going for 180-270 days, and it will continue to spill 1,000 barrels/day into the ocean.

Second, this oil spill is located in the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico. Why is that such a big problem? Because the Gulf of Mexico is the breeding ground for most of the hurricanes in the US, and they happen quite frequently in that area.

Hurricanes suck up the surface water, spin it around and then, when they make landfall, they drop all the water they'd picked up in the ocean.

The oil spill is over 100 square miles in area now. Hurricane season starts in a month on June 1st.

Can you imagine what is going to happen when the first hurricane moves over that oil spill and sucks up all the oil, depositing in on land?

That will make the Exxon Valdez look like a small oil spill on your driveway. Not only is it currently screwing up fishing, but, if a hurricane picks it up and spreads it over the coast, well.........you can kiss a whole bunch of stuff goodbye.

The oil producers have ignored the safety measures taken by Brazil and Norway after they had devastating spills.

Now 18 million gallons of oil is being dumped into the Gulf of Mexico.

Drilling is ok, but you can't trust the oil companies to regulate themselves.

The oil producers have ignored the safety measures taken by Brazil and Norway after they had devastating spills.

Now 18 million gallons of oil is being dumped into the Gulf of Mexico.

Drilling is ok, but you can't trust the oil companies to regulate themselves.

but the free market regulates itself who needs govenrment getting in the way!

Right, the corperations will police themselves and take adaquete safety measures. Just as they did prior to the Exxon Valdez.

Over 200,000 gallons of oil a day spewing into the gulf. Virtually all the life in the gulf endangered. Come on, everybody "Drill, baby, Drill"

Right, the corperations will police themselves and take adaquete safety measures. Just as they did prior to the Exxon Valdez.

Over 200,000 gallons of oil a day spewing into the gulf. Virtually all the life in the gulf endangered. Come on, everybody "Drill, baby, Drill"

yea screw those tree huggers! mother earth can go fuck herself!

Then I take it the right wing and libertarian mantra of corporations regulating themselves and no nanny govt or regulations beeing needed have been blown out of the water, so so speak.

As if we did not have thousands of examples prior to this.
If the mantra was true we would not need courts to prosecute corporations for wrongdoing.

In a related thread a libertarian was raising heck about the WH not acting fast enough on this.
I about spewed dew on my screen when I read that ;)

Last edited:
Then I take it the right wing and libertarian mantra of corporations regulating themselves and no nanny govt or regulations beeing needed have been blown out of the water, so so speak.

If the mantra was true we would not need courts to prosecute corporations for wrongdoing.

In a related thread a libertarian was raising heck about the WH not acting fast enough on this.

I'm sure the right wing nutters will just say "hey, accidents happen!" and that will be good enough for them.

Why can't we skim the oil off of the water and use it?
Seems like we have the technology just not the incentive?

I'm sure the right wing nutters will just say "hey, accidents happen!" and that will be good enough for them.
You truly underestimate the CON$. They will be blaming the tree-huggers. After all this was an explosion so it must be Liberal sabotage. :cuckoo:

Another "who cares?" story.

The earth has oil in it. Sometimes it gets into the water. BFD. The earth will take care of it regardless of whatever we do.

^ pure ignorance

Its simply too big and coming out too fast. It hits the coast today.

This shit sucks.
As I said the technology exists to recapture and contain most of that oil. There should have been floating containment around it and a skimming /recovery ship there shortly after the spill started.

We never plan ahead and just keep on with the it will not happen to me mentality.

This shit sucks.
As I said the technology exists to recapture and contain most of that oil. There should have been floating containment around it and a skimming /recovery ship there shortly after the spill started.

We never plan ahead and just keep on with the it will not happen to me mentality.

Don't say "We" when what you mean is "BP".

I somehow doubt it would have been possible to contain all this. Maybe I just don't want to think this could have been prevented.

But if it could have been prevented, I, as well as the rest of the state of Louisiana, will in a few years be proud owners of a piece of the company once known as BP - which we will then break into bits and sell to the highest bidder.

The money will be used to restore the coast. Any extra monies will be used to purchase mardi gras beads, beer, whiskey, floats, a bigger Superdome AND Tiger Stadium, and in some circles - pink flamingos.

Small ray of sunshine, Florida GOPer pols are rethinking drilling off the coast of Florida.

:thup:

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I heard today that people in Pensacola were complaining of the smell already.

Tourism is the lifeblood of the state's economy. If there is an oil slick that slams into some place like Sarasota or Naples, and ruins beaches for years, it will devastate the local economy.
Yes. You've been here long enough to know that Florida's claims to fame are beaches, Disney, and medicare fraud. We can do without Disney and fraud but not the beaches.

This shit sucks.

Don't say "We" when what you mean is "BP".

I somehow doubt it would have been possible to contain all this. Maybe I just don't want to think this could have been prevented.

But if it could have been prevented, I, as well as the rest of the state of Louisiana, will in a few years be proud owners of a piece of the company once known as BP - which we will then break into bits and sell to the highest bidder.

The money will be used to restore the coast. Any extra monies will be used to purchase mardi gras beads, beer, whiskey, floats, a bigger Superdome AND Tiger Stadium, and in some circles - pink flamingos.

I doubt there's enough money in the world to "restore the coast" once a spill of of this magnitude hits it.

Look at that picture again, and realize that the spill is still growing at the rate of 5,000 brls a day.

It's going to effect thousands of miles of coast, tens of thousands of square miles of coastal wetlands, and since that coastline's wetlands are so ecologically critical to the life in the Gulf, its negative effects will resonate for decades.

My sincerest condolences to you folks living on or near the Gulf coast.

Looks to me like this unhappy event is going to severely screw up your regional economy and your way of life, too.

For those of you whose entire system of valuation is in terms of money?

This is going to be a multitrillions in destruction of environmental resources.

Yeah, that's right, that's what I am positing,

I suspect that the long term economic damages will exceed the entire value of the oil BP could have pulled out of that well.

The clean up (which won't really clean up much of anything, really but might clean up some beach..sorta) alone will cost billions.

The spill from the Exxon Valdez is still polluting the area of that spill. And damaging wildlife. This one is far worse, and is damaging a very special area.

Worse yet, for those responding to this horror, hurricane season starts in 30 days, and it looks to be an especially active one, perhaps on the order of 2005.

It looks to be a perfect storm of an environmental disaster.

Another "who cares?" story.

The earth has oil in it. Sometimes it gets into the water. BFD. The earth will take care of it regardless of whatever we do.

What a dumb post.

No what is stupid is blocking off shore drilling because of an accident. What is even dumber is titling this thread in the manner was done. I notice you made no comments about either of those now did you?

What is stupid is you, fuckhead.

Forum List

Back