Spill, baby spill....42,000 gallons a day

Yes the earth is self healing, in a million years it might even wipe out all traces of humans.
but while it is healing humans can suffer greatly from their folly.

Yes the earth is self healing, in a million years it might even wipe out all traces of humans.

Then perhaps humans will learn to live in better harmony with their environment. Perhaps not.

Maybe fining BP will make them more diligent, maybe it won't. Maybe this disaster will serve as a warning, maybe not. What I do know is that if we think we're in charge of this planet we are dead wrong, and it's just another sign of our collective arrogance.

All these people saying what a dope I am for putting faith in the healing power of the earth are manifestations of this arrogance. If anyone thinks we can take care of the earth better than it can take care of itself, they are arrogant beyond my ability to characterize. Spider Tuba is perhaps the best example - he/she negged me twice and called me a whore for having faith in the earth's ability to shrug off what we, as mere humans, are capable of inflicting on it.

So yeah... perhaps the ignorance is in the eye of the beholder. :)

Then perhaps humans will learn to live in better harmony with their environment. Perhaps not.

Maybe fining BP will make them more diligent, maybe it won't. Maybe this disaster will serve as a warning, maybe not. What I do know is that if we think we're in charge of this planet we are dead wrong, and it's just another sign of our collective arrogance.

All these people saying what a dope I am for putting faith in the healing power of the earth are manifestations of this arrogance. If anyone thinks we can take care of the earth better than it can take care of itself, they are arrogant beyond my ability to characterize. Spider Tuba is perhaps the best example - he/she negged me twice and called me a whore for having faith in the earth's ability to shrug off what we, as mere humans, are capable of inflicting on it.

So yeah... perhaps the ignorance is in the eye of the beholder. :)

It occurs to me that Spider is particularly pissed because this whole mess is right on his doorstep. If I were in his shoes I'd probably be pretty upset too, though of course if he called you a whore just for having an opinion with which he doesn't agree that's fucking pathetic.

But I've got to disagree with your characterizations of some responses, at least so far as the posts I've read. There's a big difference between thinking we control the planet and not behaving responsibly towards the planet. I don't think I've read any posts that say that the earth isn't capable of regeneration - I may be wrong - but surely if something can be cleaned up now then the companies principally responsible for creating this mess have at least a moral and probably a legal responsibility to do so.

Also of course there's the fact that I'm taking the family to the gulf in August. If the sea is full of oil when we get there the fact that it will all be OK in a million years is going to be of small comfort.

The earth will be here long after we're gone. We can't destroy the planet. Given enough time it will repair itself and life, if it's eliminated, will appear again.

That's great, a revelation in fact, we all though this was just going to make the entire planet destroy itself. Whew!

WTF do you suggest all the folks whose livelihoods depend on what is about to be destroyed do in the meantime?

Seriously people, we can fine BP, we can try to minimize the damage, but regardless, in the end, the earth will take care of it

Great. Then shut the fuck up and get out of this thread.

Maybe fining BP will make them more diligent, maybe it won't.

You do understand that BP is going to get the shit sued out of it and wind up paying billions upon billions in actual and punitive damages to those affected by this? They aren't worried about any fines that will be imposed - that will pale in comparison.

But I've got to disagree with your characterizations of some responses, at least so far as the posts I've read. There's a big difference between thinking we control the planet and not behaving responsibly towards the planet. I don't think I've read any posts that say that the earth isn't capable of regeneration - I may be wrong - but surely if something can be cleaned up now then the companies principally responsible for creating this mess have at least a moral and probably a legal responsibility to do so.

I never said that nothing should be done about it, just that I'm not particularly worried. If we try something and it works, great, if not, it will all be ok in the end. We may not be here to see it, but that doesn't mean it won't get taken care of.

The earth will be here long after we're gone. We can't destroy the planet. Given enough time it will repair itself and life, if it's eliminated, will appear again.

That's great, a revelation in fact, we all though this was just going to make the entire planet destroy itself. Whew!

WTF do you suggest all the folks whose livelihoods depend on what is about to be destroyed do in the meantime?

Um... do something else? Go somewhere else? Wait for a government handout?

This is another "who cares?" question. The smart, resilient people will find a way to support themselves. The dumb, lazy 1s will wait for someone to take care of them. Same as after any disaster, man made or otherwise.

Seriously people, we can fine BP, we can try to minimize the damage, but regardless, in the end, the earth will take care of it

Great. Then shut the fuck up and get out of this thread.

Awesome response! Not quite as good as: "Neg reps for ignorance" or "You suck ass you whore" but still very, very good.

You do understand that BP is going to get the shit sued out of it and wind up paying billions upon billions in actual and punitive damages to those affected by this? They aren't worried about any fines that will be imposed - that will pale in comparison.

So what? Sure, I know they will be sued. BFD. Was there a point to that or are you just making sure we all know how smart you are because you can point out the obvious?

Yeah, because "giving ammo to kook environmentalists" is the most disturbing potential consequence of this disaster. Tens of thousands of livelihoods lost, a way of life, and an entire coast line over several states drenched in oil - not so big a deal, but "giving ammo to kook environmentalists" - unthinkable!

Its good you've got your priorities straight.

Yawn

Will you please list for me all the ways we use oil? Then you can suggest how we live without it. You could take the lead and stop using oil products: gasoline, diesel, plastic, carpeting, fake wood, shoes, etc, etc, etc. Be part of the solution, not a hysterical distraction.

Hemp plants will make oil, the oil from it can make plastics, the hemp fiber can be used to make clothing, fiberglass (which Corvette uses), and food.

Next?

'If' hemp plants could produce enough 'oil' for us to use, we would not be drilling today.

THE SMELL IS IN MY CITY NOW

Health officials order air quality testing after fuel smell blankets metro area | NOLA.com

F U BP AND CAMERON INTERNATIONAL, WE HAVE A LOT OF LAWYERS IN THIS STATE AND BY THE TIME ITS OVER WE ARE GOING TO FUCK YOU

ahhh, the real reason for concern.... a way to get money without actually earning it. There is a 'disaster', and they are concerned more about getting the 'money' than getting the cleanup.

I'm not sure how you would have BP compensate the fishermen of Louisiana. Money is the typical way to do it.

There wasn't anything about 'compensation' in your post. It was about the pain you could cause someone else.

Excuse me, but BP doesn't own the rig... They leased it so responsibility will reside with who is responsible under the terms of the lease.... Its like if I lease a town house and the water pipes to the street bust. Depending on the lease agreement either I or the actual owner will be responsible.

So far we do not know the lease agreements stipulations or anything. For all we know BP may not be responsible at all. But then that wouldn't work out well for the BS artists pushing cap and trade now would it..... And thats what we are really looking at here...

When the Pro-AGW idiots and ecomentalists get done it will be not just BP but all oil companies and then fossil fuels in general. And then you will have your fear driven podium to preach from and push your crap and trade legislation....

You freaking lowlifes and your fake "save the world" BS really take the cake... I bet there isn't a genuine soul in any of you. Its all fake, placating, feel good rhetoric designed to make you all feel good while you sell the rest of us into a tax on life..... Thanks assholes...

Donations will flow, and memberships will swell in organizations such as Greenpeace. This is exactly what happened after the Valdez transportation incident. This is what will fund the impending revitalized anti-oil-anything movement.

Donations will flow, and memberships will swell in organizations such as Greenpeace. This is exactly what happened after the Valdez transportation incident. This is what will fund the impending revitalized anti-oil-anything movement.

Bingo!.... THis is how we were tricked into Iraq and the patriot act, and this is how we will get the tax on life called cap and trade..... Fear there is no better way to control or manipulate.

I never said that nothing should be done about it, just that I'm not particularly worried.

Why the fuck WOULD you be worried? It isn't the livelihoods of those who live in YOUR hometown that's at stake-it isn't YOUR coast that will be affected, and you only care about yourself, so what exactly would you need to worry about?

Really, what gives you the standing to blab on about how its not such a big deal when you have nothing at stake?

With a vast oil slick now within only 20 miles of the ecologically fragile Louisiana coastline, Coast Guard officials said they were considering a “controlled burn” of the petroleum on the surface of the Gulf of Mexico.

Rear Adm. Mary E. Landry, the federal on-scene coordinator for the spill, said such a burn might be conducted as soon as Wednesday.

A joint government and industry task force has been unable to stop crude oil from streaming out of a broken pipe attached to a well 5,000 feet below sea level. The leaks were found Saturday, days after an oil rig to which the pipe was attached exploded and sank in the gulf about 50 miles southeast of Venice, La. An estimated 42,000 gallons a day are now spilling into the Gulf of Mexico.

Officials said Tuesday that wind projections indicated that the oil would not reach land in the next three days, and it was unclear exactly where along the Gulf Coast it might arrive first.

Concern Grows About Impact of Gulf Oil Spill - NYTimes.com

There is no question that Obama caused this. He even sent SWAT teams to destroy any evidence. Damn You Obama!

Do something else? Do something else? You're seriously just a cold hearted bitch, aren't you?
This is another "who cares?" question. The smart, resilient people will find a way to support themselves. The dumb, lazy 1s will wait for someone to take care of them. Same as after any disaster, man made or otherwise.

There's no such thing as a "lazy" shrimp boat operator you dumb ****.

Do something else? Do something else? You're seriously just a cold hearted bitch, aren't you?

There's no such thing as a "lazy" shrimp boat operator you dumb ****.

Wait, I thought it was always unacceptable to use the word "****". you fucking hypocrite.

I never said that nothing should be done about it, just that I'm not particularly worried.

Why the fuck WOULD you be worried? It isn't the livelihoods of those who live in YOUR hometown that's at stake-it isn't YOUR coast that will be affected, and you only care about yourself, so what exactly would you need to worry about?

Really, what gives you the standing to blab on about how its not such a big deal when you have nothing at stake?

Oh shut up punk... You are a fake internet scientist, so why should we believe anything you say? Much less let you judge anyone.... Dude you are a fraud and a known perpetrator.

You don't know her, you don't know anything about her so go shit in your hat...

Please cry and tell me how I am not qualified again, I love it when you try and play better... oh how ironic... Thats what you just tried to imply she was doing....How telling, of the fake scientist....

Excuse me, but BP doesn't own the rig... They leased it so responsibility will reside with who is responsible under the terms of the lease....

Is that a fact? Where did you graduate law school? Dummy Law School?

BINGO!

What junior one time being called out for being a asshole not enough for you? This is how you got embarrassed last time remember?

Okay I will play, where is your law degree asshole? Fact is I don't need one to tell the simple truth. I have leased a townhouse as a matter of fact, even leased a car a few times. As I said in the post you didn't read, the lease agreement will state whose responsibility this will be.

Ever lease a car punk? How about a rental agreement? Well if you had read one you would know they stipulate who has what responsibilities regarding the arrangement. This can vary by agreement and type of arrangement..

you done showing your ignorance yet? Or are you out to get humiliated again...

Last edited:
Another "who cares?" story.

The earth has oil in it. Sometimes it gets into the water. BFD. The earth will take care of it regardless of whatever we do.

Wow. So what about the fish that wont be caught, what about the oil that will come ashore, what about the wild life that will die, what about........................Lets all just drill baby drill

But BFD? wow.

Forum List

Back