Speaking of TV.........

Jettisoned TV a while back.

I was a news junkie.

I'm not only a happier person for having done so, but I suspect I'm better informed now

I'm not so often MISinformed by TV's mind numbing propaganda

I spend waaaaaaaaaay too much time on the computer. Up until recently, I rarely watched TV outside of sports and news.

But I bought an HDTV and DirectTV, and I'm watching more now. It's a great product.

How much TV do you watch a day? I find myself watching it less and less, some days I don't have it on at all.

I'd rather hang out on our back deck, or go on walks, etc.

I don't even care to watch the news anymore. I figure if something major happens, I'll find out about it on here! :lol:

I really don't know, not much at all. How long is the TV on....and how much do i watch are two different answers. I turn it on as background noise and will glance up or walk past on occasion. I have a tevo full of things "to watch" and end up deleting everything to make more room...and still never watch any of it.

How much TV do you watch a day? I find myself watching it less and less, some days I don't have it on at all.

I don't even care to watch the news anymore. I figure if something major happens, I'll find out about it on here! :lol:

do videos count?

do videos count?

do you watch them on a tv? :lol:

Two good reasons I don't watch television so much anymore:

1) Cable rates are too damn high! The cable company expects me to happily pay more for television than the electric company wants me to pay to power all the house! I will not pay more for television than any other utility! Satellite companies can't read a map. A satellite dish would be cheaper than cable, but they expect me to accept Youngstown stations as my local stations. I live less than an hour from Heinz Field in Pittsburgh. Youngstown stations 'feature' the Cleveland Browns on Sundays in the autumn. NOBODY wants to see the Cleveland Browns play, unless they are playing the Steelers.

2) Content. "Realty" shows just insult my intelligence. I don't want to sit and watch people scream at each other. I see that enough during my work day. There's no "All in the Family" or "Bob Newhart Show" anymore. Just crap, followed by crap and then, to top it all off, they offer crap.

I have over 500 DVDs in my collection. Tonight, it's Bogart Night.

do you ever download off torrents?
My brother does Netflix. I got him a blu-ray player with internet capabilities for Christmas. I'm thinking of getting the TV in the living room hooked up later this autumn, but the summer isn't TV season, it's get outside season!

1) Cable rates are too damn high! The cable company expects me to happily pay more for television than the electric company wants me to pay to power all the house! I will not pay more for television than any other utility! Satellite companies can't read a map. A satellite dish would be cheaper than cable, but they expect me to accept Youngstown stations as my local stations. I live less than an hour from Heinz Field in Pittsburgh. Youngstown stations 'feature' the Cleveland Browns on Sundays in the autumn. NOBODY wants to see the Cleveland Browns play, unless they are playing the Steelers.

2) Content. "Realty" shows just insult my intelligence. I don't want to sit and watch people scream at each other. I see that enough during my work day. There's no "All in the Family" or "Bob Newhart Show" anymore. Just crap, followed by crap and then, to top it all off, they offer crap.

Only 500? Pfffft. Amateur. :cool:
Quality, not quantity. I'm pissed that i could have all the Police Academy movies on DVD (I would not) but I can't get Orson Welles' The Magnificent Ambersons on DVD! I could get Porky's on DVD, but Viva Zapata isn't available!

I collect classic films. From Fritz Lange's M to David Lean's Dr. Zhivago.

Quality, not quantity. I'm pissed that i could have all the Police Academy movies on DVD (I would not) but I can't get Orson Welles' The Magnificent Ambersons on DVD! I could get Porky's on DVD, but Viva Zapata isn't available!

kubrick collection?

A rarely watch TV during my spare time anymore either, EZ. Apart from the occasional diamond in the dirt, so to speak - such as Downton Abbey, which my wife can't go without, British TV has descended into the repetative, low-rate depths of endless cookery programmes and reality TV. Much the same as American TV, so my wife tells me. Though that said, we both watch CBS' The Mentalist.

No, most of the stuff I'm interested in these days can be viewed online. Besides, there's only so many Disney re-runs a chap can stand without turning a sharp instrument of some sort on the woman he loves.
I really enjoyed Downton Abbey and will be ordering the DVDs soon. I have Gosford Park, which is a great movie. I also watched the entire Lark Rise to Candleford series on PBS and just received the entire four season set of DVDs yesterday.

Those old Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes movies are high art.

I'm something of an Anglophile so I'm drawn to what the BBC has to offer.

kubrick collection?
Every film except Eyes Wide Shut. I don't believe Kubrick wanted that released the way it was cut after his death.

The Killing, Spartacus, Dr. Strangelove (or How I stopped Worrying and Learned to Love the Bomb), 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon, Lolita, Paths of Glory, Full Metal Jacket and The Shining.

I also collect the films of John Ford, Billy Wilder, Alfred Hitchcock, Orson Welles, George Stevens, William Wellman, Ernst Lubich, Joel and Ethan Coen, William Wellman, Michael Curtiz, Preston Sturgess, Frank Capra, Martin Scorsese, Hal Ashby, David Lean and Robert Altman.

Not much during the day. Unless it's raining. At night I watch some. I usually fall asleep with the TV on.

If I'm in my room the TV is usually on. Sometimes it just filler noise though. I like the crime shows, racing, some sports.

I gave up TV when it went digital. I use the TV only to watch DVDs and play playstation on occasion.

When I do see it on rare occasions, I'm disgusted by what I see. I mean really? that's entertaining? I don't think there's been a good TV show created since 2007 at this rate. Well, maybe Big Bang Theory. But that's nerd bias for you. Otherwise, the only show I would watch regularly if I did have TV is Dr. Who. Anything else, I'd watch on DVD was made back in the 80's or early 90s.

God forbid I see the major news networks. Palin meets with Donald Trump? This is news? How? Who gives a fuck? Celebrity gossip is not news. And that's FOX!!! Breaking news, my ass. More like Paparazzi bullshit.

Last edited:
It is nothing for me to not even glance at a TV in a 24hr period.
There is nothing on it. A bunch of crappy low-budget reality shows.
I watch some news, I DVR a few shows I want to watch...some educational TV shows etc.
That is pretty much it.

bingo. Tivo is the answer....

Damn straight...screw the commercials.
And there is nothing like watching a game that is recorded...save a good hour by skipping the bazillion commercials.

kubrick collection?
Every film except Eyes Wide Shut. I don't believe Kubrick wanted that released the way it was cut after his death.

The Killing, Spartacus, Dr. Strangelove (or How I stopped Worrying and Learned to Love the Bomb), 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon, Lolita, Paths of Glory, Full Metal Jacket and The Shining.

I also collect the films of John Ford, Billy Wilder, Alfred Hitchcock, Orson Welles, George Stevens, William Wellman, Ernst Lubich, Joel and Ethan Coen, William Wellman, Michael Curtiz, Preston Sturgess, Frank Capra, Martin Scorsese, Hal Ashby, David Lean and Robert Altman.

the uncut version of Eyes is now available.

Forum List

Back