Speaking of TV.........

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
How much TV do you watch a day? I find myself watching it less and less, some days I don't have it on at all.

I'd rather hang out on our back deck, or go on walks, etc.

I don't even care to watch the news anymore. I figure if something major happens, I'll find out about it on here! :lol:

How much TV do you watch a day? I find myself watching it less and less, some days I don't have it on at all.

I don't even care to watch the news anymore. I figure if something major happens, I'll find out about it on here! :lol:

Not much at all. In fact I'm not sure why I paying for a service right now. The kids are either off in school or deployed. It collects dust except for the occaisional rainy day movie.

I keep mine on all day long because here lately, no matter what channel I put it on, nobody is wearing any clothes. It works out real well if you're watching those attractive ladies on the Weather Channel but it's a real bummer if you turn it on to the Glenn Beck Show.

A rarely watch TV during my spare time anymore either, EZ. Apart from the occasional diamond in the dirt, so to speak - such as Downton Abbey, which my wife can't go without, British TV has descended into the repetative, low-rate depths of endless cookery programmes and reality TV. Much the same as American TV, so my wife tells me. Though that said, we both watch CBS' The Mentalist.

No, most of the stuff I'm interested in these days can be viewed online. Besides, there's only so many Disney re-runs a chap can stand without turning a sharp instrument of some sort on the woman he loves.

I got rid of cable last September, there are a few shows I miss, but I can either watch online or get dvd's from the library, entire season for $1. I listen to the radio for 4 minutes for the news and I'm good. Don't really miss and have a lot more time.

Mmmm, not a lot. I could go weeks without watching. Especially in the summer. In the winter I like to sit in front of the fire on weekends nights and I'll watch a bit. Usually TLC or Discovery. I like the survival shows. Swamp Loggers. I don't watch much on a regular basis. I guess the only things I watch regular are American Idol and a show I never in a million years thought I could ever get into, Glee :eek: But I like it. I guess there are a ton of other things I'd rather be doing

I got rid of cable last September, there are a few shows I miss, but I can either watch online or get dvd's from the library, entire season for $1. I listen to the radio for 4 minutes for the news and I'm good. Don't really miss and have a lot more time.

I download a lot on torrents. Sometimes I'll watch that. Everytime I'm looking for a good movie on TV there is nothing on. At least this way i have a ton to pick from

TV is probably the single worst media feature disaster we've ever experienced, (next but not a close runner up; the pager).

I remember one Far Side ( gary larson) cartoon in particular, it has the 'generic' African tribesmen running across a rope bridge with a big TV in his hands and several 'generic' suburbanites chasing him, waving their arms, yelling etc etc ...

the caption, I beleive went something like;

" Ubangi successfully steals civilizations Idol. It now belonged to his tribe, as well as its curse".

Morrow saw through it and I am quite sure hs is disappointed.

As the Great Gonzo said; "TV is a cruel and shallow money trench were good men go to die like dogs..." ( paraphrased but very close)...

and I would ad; "TV, were promising minds go to be cored like apples...."

I try to watch as little as possible, but when I post here I inevitably have it on in the background...

Last edited:
I watch movies, science and nature shows and the PBS Nightly Business Report and the PBS nightly news. that is pretty much it.
No sports, etc and for sure no sur-reality shows.

I think the majority of americans are well programmed by the vidiot tube though.

Two good reasons I don't watch television so much anymore:

1) Cable rates are too damn high! The cable company expects me to happily pay more for television than the electric company wants me to pay to power all the house! I will not pay more for television than any other utility! Satellite companies can't read a map. A satellite dish would be cheaper than cable, but they expect me to accept Youngstown stations as my local stations. I live less than an hour from Heinz Field in Pittsburgh. Youngstown stations 'feature' the Cleveland Browns on Sundays in the autumn. NOBODY wants to see the Cleveland Browns play, unless they are playing the Steelers.

2) Content. "Realty" shows just insult my intelligence. I don't want to sit and watch people scream at each other. I see that enough during my work day. There's no "All in the Family" or "Bob Newhart Show" anymore. Just crap, followed by crap and then, to top it all off, they offer crap.

I have over 500 DVDs in my collection. Tonight, it's Bogart Night.

1) Cable rates are too damn high! The cable company expects me to happily pay more for television than the electric company wants me to pay to power all the house! I will not pay more for television than any other utility! Satellite companies can't read a map. A satellite dish would be cheaper than cable, but they expect me to accept Youngstown stations as my local stations. I live less than an hour from Heinz Field in Pittsburgh. Youngstown stations 'feature' the Cleveland Browns on Sundays in the autumn. NOBODY wants to see the Cleveland Browns play, unless they are playing the Steelers.

2) Content. "Realty" shows just insult my intelligence. I don't want to sit and watch people scream at each other. I see that enough during my work day. There's no "All in the Family" or "Bob Newhart Show" anymore. Just crap, followed by crap and then, to top it all off, they offer crap.

Ohh I do watch Andy Griffith reruns about 3 evenings a week on a local station.

do you ever download off torrents?

I confess I did just got done watching "Jeopardy"

I love that show, just got done eating dinner outside on our deck with 3 -15 year old girls and needed a little break! :D

Now it's time to mess around on the internet a bit, read a little, and hope they don't drive me crazy since they are spending the night!

Only 500? Pfffft. Amateur. :cool:

It is nothing for me to not even glance at a TV in a 24hr period.
There is nothing on it. A bunch of crappy low-budget reality shows.
I watch some news, I DVR a few shows I want to watch...some educational TV shows etc.
That is pretty much it.

During the day, not much tv time. Except now with the Anthony case going on I have it on.

Usually, though, I don't turn it on until 8pm and it stays on until go to bed.

It is nothing for me to not even glance at a TV in a 24hr period.
There is nothing on it. A bunch of crappy low-budget reality shows.
I watch some news, I DVR a few shows I want to watch...some educational TV shows etc.
That is pretty much it.

bingo. Tivo is the answer....

Wow, well, believe it or not, my Tv is never off! It stays on practically 24/7, the only time I do turn it off, is when I am going out of town for the weekend or so. I don't sit and watch much Tv tho, it just has to be on. But I do watch the news, some CSI stuff, Cold Case Files and I like the Nick at Nite stuff which includes The Nanny, Everybody Hates Chris, George Lopez....the silly ass shit like that. I really like the Golden Girls, they have the kind of life I wish I could have, when I get their age ~LoL~

Forum List

Back