Southwest flight attendant takes baby away after seeing it slapped by her mother

Father Time

I'll be Still Alive
Nov 29, 2008
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — A mother told aviation police she slapped her crying 13-month-old daughter on a flight between Dallas and Albuquerque because the child kicked her, authorities said.

The explanation came after Southwest Airlines flight attendant Beverly McCurley reported taking the child from the mother during Monday's flight after seeing the child slapped on the face and hearing passengers complain.

The incident has sparked an online debate about when onlookers should intervene in child discipline.

McCurley also told authorities the child had a black eye.

Both parents told aviation police the black eye came from a dog bite a few days earlier. The mother said an uncle, who had medical training in the military, treated the injury.

Aviation police officer Dana Baldwin said in a written report the mother demonstrated the amount of force she used by lightly hitting the officer's arm with an open hand. The officers did not ask where she slapped the child.

The baby was checked out by paramedics at Albuquerque airport, a scheduled stop on the flight to Seattle.

The names of the parents were withheld because they were not arrested or charged. The family boarded another flight to continue the trip.

Brad Hawkins, a spokesman for Southwest Airlines, could not provide details about specific training given to flight attendants to deal with such situations. However, he said they were "empowered to simply do the right thing and to maintain the security and
the comfort of all of customers onboard."

Southwest flight attendant takes baby seen slapped by mom - LA Daily News

i have never seen a 13 month old that quits crying cause you slap it....or a kick by a 13 month old that warrented this reaction.

All children that age act up once the plane takes off. The change in air pressure hurts their ears. Slapping a baby will not sove the problem.

Southwest is responsible for the safety of its passengers and maintaining calm. They acted appropriately

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
She was absolutely right. You better believe that I'd intervene if I saw a child being abused - everybody should.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
That bitch would have been dead before she got one row away from me if I would have corrected my child with a slap or spank....

You'd slap a one year-old child for fussing on an airplane? :eusa_eh:

I have swatted a behind or diaper for a child throwing a tantrum, screaming, etc... We don't know every detail here... but as stated, if I corrected my child with a swat and this bitch took the child away from me, she would have been stone cold dead in 2 steps

I have swatted a behind or diaper for a child throwing a tantrum, screaming, etc... We don't know every detail here... but as stated, if I corrected my child with a swat and this bitch took the child away from me, she would have been stone cold dead in 2 steps

But that isn't what happened. The child was hit in the face, not lightly on the behind.

Plus, I don't see how anybody could hit a child that young for crying. As you know, they have no other way of expressing their feelings at that age. It's not like they can articulate their concerns about air pressure and ear pain...

But that isn't what happened. The child was hit in the face, not lightly on the behind.

Plus, I don't see how anybody could hit a child that young for crying. As you know, they have no other way of expressing their feelings at that age. It's not like they can articulate their concerns about air pressure and ear pain...

I have slapped my children's cheeks/face before as well... Again, you don't know every detail, the extent of the crying or tantrum, or anything else... but even if someone questions my intent, does not know the whole situation, or whatever, and that person takes my child from me... that person will be meeting their maker

A little Benadryl can help small children tolerate plane flights. It makes them sleepy.

Usually a 13 month old can be pacified with breast, bottle, or pacifier. She should have planned out better. If she has a difficult baby, maybe she shouldn't be flying for a while.

It sounds like the stewardess overreacted, however, by labeling a small slap as abuse.

McCurley described the mother as agitated with the child, said the woman also slapped the baby on the legs and told the child to shut up.

McCurley said she took the baby and walked to the rear of the plane. She said the father came back, took the child and stood there with her until she fell asleep.

The father told the attendant the parents had several arguments about the mother hitting the child, according to the report.

He told police the mother would occasionally "pop" the child to stop her kicking and screaming, but that the baby had never been hit in the face.

Its not the first time......nor the last

never slap a child. just makes them scream louder.

that's why i prefer choking. draws a lot less attention to you and usually when they wake up from the black out, they've forgotten why they were upset in the first place.

i have never seen a 13 month old that quits crying cause you slap it....or a kick by a 13 month old that warrented this reaction.

Oh it happens.
My daughter went through a few years starting at that age where she would kick viciously when being put into her car seat, or into the car, or anything else she didn't want to do. That's where her first real spankings came from. It's not funny when you're bending over a kid trying to buckle her in and she kicks you in the chin.

They aren't pursuing it, Bones. You really can't second guess this one.

As a matter of fact about 15 years ago when my oldest was a toddler, we were in McDonalds getting some lunch.. and she over-reacted excitedly and even after being told to stop she jumped up and yanked the tray down spilling everything everywhere and started to then throw a tantrum.... I swatted her as a parent sometimes does and I had some nosey idiot in line come up and start scolding me and stating how spanking is 'wrong' and other various bullshit.... And this is when I was wearing my BDU's.... And I promptly invited the nosey fucker to come outside for his own ass beating if he did not mind his own fucking business... and if that person would have gone as far as to try and take my child away from me, the McDonalds mop would have been cleaning up a LOT MORE than coke, fries, and a burger and a coroner would have joined the manager on the scene

I have slapped my children's cheeks/face before as well... Again, you don't know every detail, the extent of the crying or tantrum, or anything else... but even if someone questions my intent, does not know the whole situation, or whatever, and that person takes my child from me... that person will be meeting their maker

Whatever man. Anybody who thinks that slapping a one year-old child is going to accomplish anything is a damned fool. I'm sure nothing that you've done is anything like that, but if it is, I'd rather not hear about it.

never slap a child. just makes them scream louder.

that's why i prefer choking. draws a lot less attention to you and usually when they wake up from the black out, they've forgotten why they were upset in the first place.
Yawn. Child abuse isn't funny. Way to earn one of the only negs I've ever given out.

Forum List

Back