Southwest flight attendant takes baby away after seeing it slapped by her mother

McCurley also told authorities the child had a black eye

Child protective services should have been called

:lol: My son has bruise on his head pretty much every day, it is not because I beat him, it is because he is a young child and they fall down or have accidents quite often. He has one of his forehead right now from taking a header into the pavement.

McCurley also told authorities the child had a black eye

:lol: My son has bruise on his head pretty much every day, it is not because I beat him, it is because he is a young child and they fall down or have accidents quite often. He has one of his forehead right now from taking a header into the pavement.

True 'nuff

With my kids, so many times I was like "how they hell do you get THAT bruise, scrape, or cut?"

True 'nuff

With my kids, so many times I was like "how they hell do you get THAT bruise, scrape, or cut?"

There isn't a day he doesn't have bruises on his legs. For one he has what is called Sensory Perception Disorder, which really means he doesn't feel pain as much as other children. So just imagine how many times he crashes into something a day. He fell off the garage steps a few months ago and fell head first into the pavement. The kid cried for maybe thirty seconds. I was like, " Dude, you just hit your head on the pavement." If that would have been me, I would have cried for at least five minutes. :lol:

I will just say I have spent a little time in the ER, and he is only two and half. And one time was for a dog bite. Children love getting in dog's faces. It is common for them it get bit.

That bitch would have been dead before she got one row away from me if I would have corrected my child with a slap or spank....

You stupid sucker, DD. You would have been face down on the floor of the plane with a U.S. Marshall's pistol to the back of your head. You imbecile.

Yep.... maybe I would be... but you grab my child away from me, you have 2 seconds before your neck is contorted around 180 degrees

DD, no one is intimidated by you. Son, it is too early to be drinking already. Calm down.

I'm sure that my hypersensitivity to the issue could have prevented me from thinking about that, but I don't think that rep - especially from me - is anything to worry about.

Good for you in admitting your misjudgment. I applaud you. Maybe you can go back and pos rep the guy to make up for it.

I could, but I'd have to rep something like ten other people before I can give any sort of rep to the same poster again. I don't rep very often. Plus, cad, I think you're sort of a douchebag for your whole Muslim shtick earlier, so no love lost.

not only am i a muslim man who beats his wife he married at age 14, i also choke my children.

i actually don't even know what giving me a negative 30 rep means.

You stupid sucker, DD. You would have been face down on the floor of the plane with a U.S. Marshall's pistol to the back of your head. You imbecile.

Yep.... maybe I would be... but you grab my child away from me, you have 2 seconds before your neck is contorted around 180 degrees

DD, no one is intimidated by you. Son, it is too early to be drinking already. Calm down.

Spare the rod and spoil the stewardess!

Hey! I thought we were supposed to call them "flight attendants" now?

My daughter also would get popped for biting, which she did often and viciously. For that I would slap her lips. It didn't work, though. She didn't quit biting until about a year ago (she's almost 8 now).

Guess what we did? You'll die, it's barbaric. She bit her brother on the back, hard enough to leave marks that lasted (a few times). My second boy, who is in his 20s, finally had had enough and the last time she did it, he took her aside, called the bitten one over, and said, "Now it's your turn" and held out her arm.

Lol. We ended up doing that twice only, and that was the end of the biting forever. I wish I'd thought of it sooner. It wouldn't work for a tiny baby, but it worked for the kids.

And the one we allowed to bite her is soft-hearted, he didn't (and we knew he wouldn't) bite her hard. But she was appalled.

The thing is, you just don't know. I know there are abusive people out there, but there is no way to know second and third hand whether this was abuse.

I've also had a Walmart checker grab my daughter (same daughter) from me and plop her in the cart. I had a broken foot, I was holding onto another squirming toddler, and was paying for my groceries. I sort of had my daughter pinned against the counter because she would take off and run blindly from me and we were just steps from the doors to the busy parking lot. This girl has been faster than me from the time she could walk, she's like a deer, and she literally would just race away and be gone in a split second.

The checker saw me pinning her and holding onto her hood and thought I was abusive. But she didn't know my girl. I wasn't punishing her, even, I was restraining her. This is the same girl who bit her brother, kicked me (fairly regularly until she was 6) and would throw herself straight back, stiff as a board, when she was upset (full body slam, backwards).

Ah, those were the days.

My primary concern was keeping her alive. I didn't worry too much about how it looked to people.

And she is the absolute darling of the family; my only girl! You've never seen a more beautiful child, or a more sparkly, smart and cheerful one. Just had some trouble with that impulse control until the last year or so....

Not for babies but for older kids, soap in the mouth for biting works wonders. Actually, soap in the mouth for many things works wonders!

Yes, we occasionally employ that tactic as well. Most recently was a few weeks ago when my son kept screaming in a particularly unpleasant way. Not because he was in pain, but because he was unhappy about something. He screams as a way to drown out opposition, intimidate others, and his voice cuts through your head like a buzz saw. It's unreal.

He kept screaming and had been told to knock it off repeatedly, over days. Finally, I just took the soap and scraped it across his teeth whenever he did it. It took two times, and that unpleasant interlude was over.

Soap in the mouth is nearly full proof. Something I learned along the way . . . forget about the 'days' stuff or the 'endless warnings'. I did that forever and things always ended up worse with nothing learned. Now? I give a warning or two and then, that's it. Final warning says 'next time the hammer comes down' and I stick with it. I also stick with whatever punishment I dish out, usually something like the computer being taken away. A day or two didn't do anything so now it's a week at a time and I stick with it. No getting it back early for good behavior.

it would have been great if she would have told off the mom, took the baby, grabbed two beers, unlocked the door and slid down the escape slide.

anything short of that, and who cares?

The dad went with her to hold the baby, I'd say it's a non-issue at that point. The mom probably had a drink and got some shut-eye.

Ah the joys of flying with children. Its one of the reasons i DREAD seeing them board.

Ah the joys of flying with children. Its one of the reasons i DREAD seeing them board.

At least until they're old enough to play a game boy then bam problem solved as long as you have enough spare batteries.

it's worse for the parents. i had to take a 6 hour flight with my 3 and 1 year old girls, and i was dreading it. luckily these days 90% of people on planes have iPods so they can drown out most noise.

At least until they're old enough to play a game boy then bam problem solved as long as you have enough spare batteries.

In some cases yes. If they are under 13 i still dread the sight of them. Most parents are oblivious of what their kids are doing, though some are very good. I travel quite a bit so i have seen everything.

it's worse for the parents. i had to take a 6 hour flight with my 3 and 1 year old girls, and i was dreading it. luckily these days 90% of people on planes have iPods so they can drown out most noise.

You mean the ones you have in burkas?

Its not just the noise with children. Its the kicking and bumping other peoples seats. I am not amused when parents hold a child in their lap. I feel that a seat for it should be purchased. If you are not allowed to hold a purse on your lap for safety reasons, then you should not be able to hold a baby on you lap.

The flight attendant had no right to take the child away from the woman. she is not a social worker. regardless of whether the mothers discpline method was correct or not. she cant just takes someone elses child away.

Children should be banned on airplanes.

the kids are not the problem it is the parents who dont teach their kids how to act on planes. i remember i was on a flight from london one time and this kid was about 4 and kept on running up and down the aisles. and what did the parents do? nada.

The flight attendant had no right to take the child away from the woman. she is not a social worker. regardless of whether the mothers discpline method was correct or not. she cant just takes someone elses child away.

If you are on a plane, nia588, the crew does have the legal right to tell you what to do. Your refusal can become a felony severely punished by prison and fines. The law is on their side not yours.

Whether it is moral or ethical is another thing.

Last edited:
i have never seen a 13 month old that quits crying cause you slap it....or a kick by a 13 month old that warrented this reaction.

All children that age act up once the plane takes off. The change in air pressure hurts their ears. Slapping a baby will not sove the problem.

Southwest is responsible for the safety of its passengers and maintaining calm. They acted appropriately

I agree.

Forum List

Back