South Dakota Passes Bill Banning All Abortions Except If Woman Is In Danger Of Dying

dmp said:
THAT my friends...is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even rape or incestually-conceived babies deserve a chance at life.
A rep-worthy statement, but Alas! 'Tis not to be.

dmp said:
Heck - If I were to move there I'd settle for being able to pump my own gas.

:D

LOL If you moved here you'd be lucky to even be able to do that. And now we have the wonderful comandant Corzine in control who I think is going to make me nostalgic for the last corrupt Governor McGreevy..........sigh
Im actually thinking of moving to Arizona.

Trigg said:
Well, your not a woman and you will never have to face such a horrible thing happening to you. Being a woman I look at this issue differently.

I'll agree to disagree with you.
I am a woman. Someone very close to me was raped. I know another young woman who was the victim of repeated incest.

It's still not the baby's fault.

Mr. P said:
Wait a minute folks………

This goes against what is always promoted here, “Let the People decide”, are you ignoring that? They (the people) didn’t vote on it. Before ya get all excited about it, don’t ya think you should know what they think?

Bottom line is…This is Legislation by a few that affects many, without a vote; in order to do nothing more than TEST the two new members of the Supreme Court. Is that how you want to see the Country run? NOT ME.
This is a representative government. We don't vote on every piece of legislation. It has never been that way.

Mr. P said:
Okay, I"ll play....Why not?

Because this issue is a state issue to be decided in the manner that the people of the state of South Dakota have determined to be fair, representative and in compliance with the states' constitution. Why should they do otherwise? Because someone in Georgia thinks they should?

dilloduck said:
Because this issue is a state issue to be decided in the manner that the people of the state of South Dakota have determined to be fair, representative and in compliance with the states' constitution. Why should they do otherwise? Because someone in Georgia thinks they should?
I didn't say they should not comply with the states' constitution. Do you think they, the people, of the state should vote on this issue? I do, same for every other state. This is, after all what the anti crowd wants right? That the majoritie of the people decide. Well, this would be a great chance to test er out and put this to rest. Otherwise it will continue to be a issue.

Like I said it's a test, by a few, of the two new members of the Supreme Court, nothing more. If ya wanna overturn Roe, take a vote in the state first and be done with it, then move on. At least that way everyone knows where that State an people truely stand. Common sense to me.

Mr. P said:
I didn't say they should not comply with the states' constitution. Do you think they, the people, of the state should vote on this issue? I do, same for every other state. This is, after all what the anti crowd wants right? That the majoritie of the people decide. Well, this would be a great chance to test er out and put this to rest. Otherwise it will continue to be a issue.

Like I said it's a test, by a few, of the two new members of the Supreme Court, nothing more. If ya wanna overturn Roe, take a vote in the state first and be done with it, then move on. At least that way everyone knows where that State an people truely stand. Common sense to me.

The Supreme Court over-ruled the entire state of Texas. Lotta good voting did. South Dakota has a right to act as they wish.

dilloduck said:
The Supreme Court over-ruled the entire state of Texas. Lotta good voting did. South Dakota has a right to act as they wish.
LOL, I knew that would come up..took awhile.. They ruled on the US Constitution..Looks like we may have another problem here.

BTW...what was that vote count in Texas?

Mr. P said:

SD wants the case to go to the SCOTUS. If the SCOTUS does the correct thing this time, and finds no U.S. Constitutional right to privacy to prop up a fictional Constitutional right to abortion, the issue will finally be up to SD, and the people can vote out any legislator who doesn't vote their way. First things first, though. Without such a SCOTUS ruling, the state will be unsuccessful in almost any attempt to restrict abortion.

Although having representative voting through your legislators is not as direct as some may wish, it is a heck of a lot more direct than having 9 robed lifetime-appointed lawyers telling the whole country what they can and cannot do to a baby.

Hooray SD!

mom4 said:
I am a woman. Someone very close to me was raped. I know another young woman who was the victim of repeated incest.

It's still not the baby's fault.

I never said it was the babies fault. I said some women would not be strong enough emotionally to carry a rapists child and they shouldn't be made to.

what if the people of SD get this on the ballot in 06 and say they vote that abortion should be legal thus over ruling the legislature....then what?

Trigg said:
I never said it was the babies fault. I said some women would not be strong enough emotionally to carry a rapists child and they shouldn't be made to.

they don't have to all they have to do is drive to north dakota

Trigg said:
Not saying it would be easy for the woman. But I think the baby's right to live should trump the woman's "right" to emotional strength. The woman will still have her life, and therefore an opportunity to heal or seek counseling. The baby would have only death.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
Mr. P said:
Really? How did the people vote? I missed that part, you did say SD right? I'll assume you mean voters of SD.

I think this was handled in Civics class, and also in this thread. But I'll reiterate it. We live in a democracy with representatives. We vote for the election of representatives whom we believe will vote in ways that we like once elected. They vote. If we are not happy with their votes, they are not re-elected.

Would you prefer we have no congressmen or women, and just have all the people of the state vote on every item of law and policy? Perhaps you should push your state reps to resign, and let the people handle everything from here on out.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
Abbey Normal said:
I think this was handled in Civics class, and also in this thread. But I'll reiterate it. We live in a democracy with representatives. We vote for the election of representatives whom we believe will vote in ways that we like once elected. They vote. If we are not happy with their votes, they are not re-elected.

Would you prefer we have no congressmen or women, and just have all the people of the state vote on every item of law and policy? Perhaps you should push your state reps to resign, and let the people handle everything from here on out.
Wow, yer so smart..Now a few years ago when these people were elected, which ran on overturning ROE or anti-abortion? Zip?..get the point? I doubt it.
This is nothing more than political grandstanding, it's not about representing the people. If it were about representing the people of the state, they would take a state vote, and then proceed. No one with two brain cells to rub together can miss what this is really about.

Forum List

Back