South Dakota Passes Bill Banning All Abortions Except If Woman Is In Danger Of Dying

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
The South Dakota House has passed a bill that would nearly ban all abortions in the state, ushering the issue to the state Senate.

Supporters are pushing the measure in hopes of drawing a legal challenge that will cause the US Supreme Court to reverse its 1973 decision legalizing abortion.

The bill banning all abortions in South Dakota was passed 47-to-22 in the House.

Amendments aimed at carving out exemptions for rape, incest and the health of women were rejected.

The bill does contain a loophole that allows abortions if women are in danger of dying. Doctors who do those abortions could not be prosecuted.

http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail2817.cfm?Id=0,45916

GotZoom said:
The South Dakota House has passed a bill that would nearly ban all abortions in the state, ushering the issue to the state Senate.

Supporters are pushing the measure in hopes of drawing a legal challenge that will cause the US Supreme Court to reverse its 1973 decision legalizing abortion.

The bill banning all abortions in South Dakota was passed 47-to-22 in the House.

Amendments aimed at carving out exemptions for rape, incest and the health of women were rejected.

The bill does contain a loophole that allows abortions if women are in danger of dying. Doctors who do those abortions could not be prosecuted.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

GotZoom said:

I disagree with them not leaving in exemptions for rape and incest.

I'm sure most of those nearly 900 abortions arn't because of rape, but some are and those women need to have a choice.

In 2000, 870 women obtained abortions in South Dakota, producing a rate of 5.5 abortions per 1,000 women of reproductive age. Some of these women were from other states, and some South Dakota residents had abortions in other states, so this rate may not reflect the abortion rate of state residents. The rate declined 15% since 1996, when it was 6.5 abortions per 1,000 women 15-44. Abortions in South Dakota represent 0.1 of all abortions in the United States.

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/sfaa/south_dakota.html

dmp said:
THAT my friends...is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even rape or incestually-conceived babies deserve a chance at life.

If a women is strong enough to carry a rapists child than that's her choice. But for some women the emotional trauma would be to much. I don't know that I'd want to put myself through that.

Trigg said:
If a women is strong enough to carry a rapists child than that's her choice. But for some women the emotional trauma would be to much. I don't know that I'd want to put myself through that.

It's not the rapist's child. It's THEIR child. If she's strong enough to kill an innocent baby, she's strong enough to carry the child to term, then work out an adoption.

dmp said:
That's bullshit. It's not the rapist's child. It's THEIR child. If she's strong enough to kill an innocent baby, she's strong enough to carry the child to term, then work out an adoption.

Well, your not a woman and you will never have to face such a horrible thing happening to you. Being a woman I look at this issue differently.

I'll agree to disagree with you.

Trigg said:
Well, your not a woman and you will never have to face such a horrible thing happening to you. Being a woman I look at this issue differently.

Irrelevant. I know right from wrong. My wife and Daughter know right from wrong. They've learned the difference between absolute wrong and absolute right.

Rape - absolute wrong.
Killing - absolute wrong.

Killing that baby does NOTHING to help a woman heal or otherwise take away from her rape.

:(

There's no agree-to-disagree in me, for things so important.

WOW!!! Im absolutely amazed..I didn't think I would live to see something this. What a great day for that state!! :)

Trigg said:

And my mom disagrees with your position. My sister agrees with it, but she's in college in Northern Virginia.

As long as they also pass a law to guarantee the parental rights of the rapists, this sounds like reasonable legislation. :rolleyes:

dmp said:
Irrelevant. I know right from wrong. My wife and Daughter know right from wrong. They've learned the difference between absolute wrong and absolute right.

Rape - absolute wrong.
Killing - absolute wrong.

Killing that baby does NOTHING to help a woman heal or otherwise take away from her rape.

:(

There's no agree-to-disagree in me, for things so important.

Im with you all the way here. No one says a victim of rape has to keep and raise the baby, only that she give the baby a chance at life with parents that will want and love it.

Wait a minute folks………

This goes against what is always promoted here, “Let the People decide”, are you ignoring that? They (the people) didn’t vote on it. Before ya get all excited about it, don’t ya think you should know what they think?

Bottom line is…This is Legislation by a few that affects many, without a vote; in order to do nothing more than TEST the two new members of the Supreme Court. Is that how you want to see the Country run? NOT ME.

Mr. P said:
Wait a minute folks………

This goes against what is always promoted here, “Let the People decide”, are you ignoring that? They (the people) didn’t vote on it. Before ya get all excited about it, don’t ya think you should know what they think?

Bottom line is…This is Legislation by a few that affects many, without a vote; in order to do nothing more than TEST the two new members of the Supreme Court. Is that how you want to see the Country run? NOT ME.

Isn't representation the way? These elected legislators were put there by their districts to make decisions. We are just not a democracy in that way, I wish we did have a direct vote on everything because I think this country would be quite different and I doubt Roe v Wade would have passed at all.

Bonnie said:
Isn't representation the way? These elected legislators were put there by their districts to make decisions. We are just not a democracy in that way, I wish we did have a direct vote on everything because I think this country would be quite different and I doubt Roe v Wade would have passed at all.
Yep it is, my point was, and is, on this board there is the constant "Let States" decide..That's good, no problem..This is a new move to test though, I think everyone can see that. So, let's not get bogged down in "we elected them" etc.

IF the truely wanted to gage the populas, they'd put it to a vote first. Then move on from there.

dmp said:
Our state allows for voters to reject or approve bills passed by the gov't. The right of Referendum? maybe?

Ours does but in a very limited way. Initiative and referendrum has usually always been shot down here. :(

Mr. P said:
Yep it is, my point was, and is, on this board there is the constant "Let States" decide..That's good, no problem..This is a new move to test though, I think everyone can see that. So, let's not get bogged down in "we elected them" etc.

IF the truely wanted to gage the populas, they'd put it to a vote first. Then move on from there.

I am in full agreement with that.

New Topics

Forum List

Back