Sous-Vide

karpenter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2018
There's An Appliance On The Market Called A Sous-Vide

The theory behind this, is that you can't Over/Under cook.
It's an appliance that heats and circulates water at a moderate temp. Set it at 140, put your meat in a Zip-Lock.
Leave it Four hrs., Eight hrs., Eight Days. The temp of your meat will never go over 140, Or Whatever Temp You Chose.
Therefore, it will never Over-Do.

I Don't Have One. I'll Have To Improvise.

My wife buys Pork Loins, about 10# whole. It'll usually go into a crock-pot and cook slowly.
Unfortunately, I don't care for crock meats. I like baked, roasted, grilled. Pork loin is a very lean cut, and tends to get a little dry sometimes.

I cut this one about half for smoke & grill, another 4" section to pickle into Canadian Bacon or pork chops.
This gave me a 4# section to work with. My Wife Gets 1/2 for the meal she has planned.
I Dry Brine the meat. 1/2 Tsp per # is rule of thumb.
Rub it in, drop in a Zip-Lock for at least a couple hrs. But you can leave it over-nite if you want. It won't over-salt.
Can you tell yet, that I like the easy way of doing things...
So after it brines a bit, I mix my rub, apply it, drop it back in the Zip-Lock to marinade.

Now as I said, I don't have the Sous-Vide

What I did, was use a porcelain steel roaster filled with water. I brought it up to 140 in my electric oven.
I then turned the oven to it's lowest setting, and vented the door with a hot-pad to maintain 140 degree water temp.
I then vented the air from my bag of loin, and dropped it in the water. I let it cook for four hours.
Now, after it's cooked, you're supposed to drop the bag of meat into an ice-water bath to chill at least 1/2 hour.
While that was chilling, I got my Briquettes going. You'll set-up a Two Zone System. You'll want the fire fairly hot for the sear.
When you sear, keep turning the meat every couple minutes. It should brown, Not Burn.
Then move the meat away from the fire. Throw on some wood strips to smoke.
I close the lid and vents until the smoke stops, about 15min or so.
After the smoke, I wrap the meat tightly in foil. Leave it opposite the fire.
What we're trying to do here, is just heat the meat back up to my temp of 140.
That took 30min in this case. Use a digital read thermometer to check all your temps. The grocery store Dial ones can be way off.

I rested our roast for 25min.
It was still nice and warm when I sliced it. It was as tender & moist as I've ever had a pork loin.

The appliance for this may be handy, I don't know.
But this is probably how I might do large cuts of meat now.

(wonder what it would do for brisket ??)

I've been using the Anova for the last three years.
It turns out some really good meat but after discovering the reverse sear I dont use it as much.
It's primary advantage is the time you can let meat sit in its heat source and not be over done.
A lot of steakhouses use 3 or 4 of them to be able to keep steaks at the perfect doneness before searing them and serving.

While the sous vide method works well in certain situations like tenderizing a tough piece of meat with long cook times it cant beat the reverse sear in taste when it comes to a good steak.

Oh....and dont try and fake it.
If you read the history of sous vide there are plenty of people who try and copy the method....it rarely works out.
You can buy the Anova for $130 bucks or less which is far below the cost of the required parts needed to copy the function and reliability.

In two decades of using my slow cooker for roasts and casseroles, I have yet to encounter an under or overcooked meal.

In two decades of using my slow cooker for roasts and casseroles, I have yet to encounter an under or overcooked meal.

While I agree to a certain extent you cant turn out a good steak with a crockpot.
The whole idea of sous vide is you can hold meat temps for hours without changing the consistency of the steak.
While thats not finite because if you leave them to long they get mushy. But we're talking hours not seconds when it comes to perfect steak.

you cant turn out a good steak

Agreed ... but the cooking time for steaks is in minutes. You don't take your eyes off them.
I Was Going To Post A Link
But It Might Be Considered Spam

A Big Fat Steak
Is What They Showed In The Sous-Vide Pot

What They Claim As An Added Advantage
Is After It Is Chilled
It Can Be Refrigerated Or Frozen For Later Use

I've Seen Meat Cooked To Mush In A Crock
I've Never Cooked In One, Myself

Last edited:

While I agree to a certain extent you cant turn out a good steak with a crockpot.
The whole idea of sous vide is you can hold meat temps for hours without changing the consistency of the steak.
While thats not finite because if you leave them to long they get mushy. But we're talking hours not seconds when it comes to perfect steak.

....again though. For perfect steaks go with the reverse sear.
This works best with steaks that are one and a half inches or thicker but they can be thinner if you pay more attention.

Put a temp probe in the steak and put em in a 220 to 240 oven with a rack and pull when they reach 125 for rare.
Heat up some ghee in a cast iron skillet to just below the smoke point and throw in your choice of aromatics be it garlic,rosemary or thyme (or you can toss the aromatics in at the end depending on your tastes)

Sear em for a few minutes and your steak will come out perfect.

you cant turn out a good steak

Agreed ... but the cooking time for steaks is in minutes. You don't take your eyes off them.

Au contraire!!

You have at a minimum one hour to pull a perfect steak out of a sous vide bath.
They're damn near fool proof because the meat will never go above the set temp. But as any BBQer knows the longer you hold a meat at a certain temp it will get more tender but that of course can take hours depending on the cut.
I've cooked tough cuts for 36 hours sous vide at 135 and they came out like Prime rib.

A quality steak only takes about two to three hours.

You have at a minimum one hour to pull a perfect steak out of a sous vide bath

A steak in a bath?! A truly hell-worthy act.

Pan searing, broiling, or barbecue are the only acceptable ways to cook a steak. Anything else is anathema.

Pan searing, broiling, or barbecue are the only acceptable ways to cook a steak. Anything else is anathema.

The steak never touches the water,it's in a vacuum sealed bag.
It brings the meat to the perfect temp through and through and ya sear it at the end leaving you with a perfectly cooked steak from the edge to the center.

But as I've said,I've gone to the reverse sear over sous vide because you get more flavor when cooking steaks.
However....if you want to cook a big chunk of meat that requires long cook times you cant beat sous vide. I've cooked some bad ass Picanha and Tri Tips for 20 hours and more and they come out kick ass!!!

Here's a link to give you an idea how it's done......dont mind the weird Brazilian dude.

sous vide everything - YouTube

It brings the meat to the perfect temp through and through and ya sear it at the end leaving you with a perfectly cooked steak from the edge to the center.

But as I've said,I've gone to the reverse sear over sous vide because you get more flavor when cooking steaks.
However....if you want to cook a big chunk of meat that requires long cook times you cant beat sous vide. I've cooked some bad ass Picanha and Tri Tips for 20 hours and more and they come out kick ass!!!

Here's a link to give you an idea how it's done......dont mind the weird Brazilian dude.

May heaven have mercy on your immortal soul for your blasphemies. For I will have none.

May heaven have mercy on your immortal soul for your blasphemies. For I will have none.

Dude......I was on an award winning BBQ cook off team at the worlds largest rodeo and BBQ cook off in Houston and I BBQ'd competitively for years.
The whole idea of cooking is to try every method to gain an edge.

Forum List

Back