Souder Resigns Over Affair: He Was a Warrior for Abstinence Only Education

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Right Now - What does Mark Souder's resignation mean for abstinence education?

What does Mark Souder's resignation mean for abstinence education?

Rep. Mark Souder (R-Ind.) has told his Republican colleagues that he will resign from the House following an affair with an aide.

"I sinned against God, my wife and my family by having a mutual relationship with a part-time member of my staff," said Souder in a statement. "In the poisonous environment of Washington, D.C., any personal failing is seized upon, often twisted, for political gain. I am resigning rather than to put my family through that painful, drawn-out process... by stepping aside, my mistake cannot be used as a political football in a partisan attempt to undermine the cause for which I have labored all my adult life."

One of the causes Souder is talking about is, of course, abstinence education. As Chairman of the Subcommittee on Criminal Justice, Drug Policy and Human Resources when Republicans held the majority in Congress, Souder was a warrior for abstinence-only sex education and a critic of other forms of sex education, and he repeatedly intervened to make sure abstinence advocates were represented -- even to the inclusion of other experts -- on panels about sexual health. This is an embarrassing moment for the cause Souder spent 16 years advocating for.
<more>

Souder said, "In the poisonous environment of Washington, D.C., any personal failing is seized upon, often twisted, for political gain."

So, he's blaming others already.

Last edited:
The best, according to Wonkette, is that he and his staffer/mistress made anti-sex videos for some christian stations. lol...

Wonkette

I love Wonkette.

This won't mean anything for "abstinence only education".

The morons who promote that stupidity are too dumb too see the irony.

Well, there is that...

but maybe they'll understand enough to be embarrassed. If not, we can laugh at them anyway.

Right Now - What does Mark Souder's resignation mean for abstinence education?

What does Mark Souder's resignation mean for abstinence education?

Rep. Mark Souder (R-Ind.) has told his Republican colleagues that he will resign from the House following an affair with an aide.

"I sinned against God, my wife and my family by having a mutual relationship with a part-time member of my staff," said Souder in a statement. "In the poisonous environment of Washington, D.C., any personal failing is seized upon, often twisted, for political gain. I am resigning rather than to put my family through that painful, drawn-out process... by stepping aside, my mistake cannot be used as a political football in a partisan attempt to undermine the cause for which I have labored all my adult life."

One of the causes Souder is talking about is, of course, abstinence education. As Chairman of the Subcommittee on Criminal Justice, Drug Policy and Human Resources when Republicans held the majority in Congress, Souder was a warrior for abstinence-only sex education and a critic of other forms of sex education, and he repeatedly intervened to make sure abstinence advocates were represented -- even to the inclusion of other experts -- on panels about sexual health. This is an embarrassing moment for the cause Souder spent 16 years advocating for.
<more>

Souder said, "In the poisonous environment of Washington, D.C., any personal failing is seized upon, often twisted, for political gain, often twisted, for political gain."

So, he's blaming others already.

oops!

We posted the same thing around the same time. http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/117650-finally-gop-congressman-i-am-so-ashamed.html

GOP Congressman Mark Souder tearfully quits over affair: 'I am so ashamed'

The human cost was evident in Souder’s five-minute speech, interrupted by tears and deep breaths as the congressman fought for control. It was a scene in sharp contrast to other recent revelations of infidelity, including South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford and Nevada Sen. John Ensign.

“I sinned against God, my wife and my family by having a mutual relationship with a part-time member of my staff,” Souder said. “In the poisonous environment of Washington, D.C., any personal failing is seized upon and twisted for political gain. I am resigning rather than put my family through a painful, drawn-out process.”

In what seemed to have become a well-worn road, Souder apologized to his family, his God and his constituents. He said his wife, Diane, offered to stand by his side, but the congressman rejected the offer.

but wait...
“I’m sick of politicians who drag their spouses in front of cameras rather than confronting the problem they caused,” he said.

“I wish I could have been better,” he said. “My comfort is that God is a gracious and forgiving God.”

If only the asshole could understand most Americans are "sick of politicians who drag" their god "in front of cameras" as cover for "the problem they caused."

Forum List

Back