Something I'm curious to know about the Charlottesville, VA protesters and counter-protesters

If you think it was really all over just a statue your wrong:
Meet the man in the middle of the 'Unite the Right' rally

Why was that man there in that town? It's all about purging history. Something that MILLIONS agree is totalitarian bullshit. That's why he was there... And local/state leadership probably HOPED for the Deep Fried Crackers to come and make an issue of it. IN FACT -- they expected it.

But the crackers don't represent the millions that oppose removing all monuments and symbols of the Confederacy... That's a Taliban move on the part of the leftists who put that program at a high priority when the nation is troubled with a Zillion bigger issues..

His words, not mine
Heimbach, like many of those rallying alongside him Saturday, sees white identity, culture and religion as increasingly endangered by a diversifying America. He sees America as a failure and says his ultimate goal is to see it carved into ethno-states, with parts set aside for whites, parts for blacks, parts for Hispanics and so on. Such a future is desirable, he and others say, because they fear a white genocide is imminent and they point to the erasure of white history in the removal of Lee’s statue as evidence.

Such views were evident Friday night when more than 200 white nationalists lit tiki torches and marched through the heart of the University of Virginia’s campus. Among their chants was: “You will not replace us.” That sentiment certainly had echoes in the planned removal of the Lee statue, but among Heimbach’s peers, it’s more personal.

“I don’t want to fast forward 40 years and look my grandchildren in the eyes and have them say, ‘Why didn’t you do anything to stop this?’ " he said recently.

It is sooo heartwarming to read that you consider preventing others from exercising their Constitutional rights to be courageous. What ever happened to "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"? Who are the real fascists?
It use to be Liberals of the 60s who first made that pronouncement. Why isn't that being followed by today's "liberals"? I suspect it's because they've become Fascists.

They are fake liberals. Simply put the liberals of today are fake Bill Ayres created liberals.

I am curious to know what the numerical representation was among the "Unite the Right" protesters and the counter-protesters who decry their ideals and demands.

From where I sit, it'd certainly be small consolation in the aftermath of such of the calamity to learn that more Americans courageously took upon themselves the burden of literally standing and being counted as amongst those who oppose white nationalism than felt obliged to advance white supremacy's odious notions.

Of course that's the case. But like any "good crisis" it will be hijacked for political interpretation. The talking points were already out there by noon. To conflate EVERY Repub, Trump Supporter or Trump himself and every American that OPPOSES purging historical monuments and symbols ----- as being Nazis, White Supremacists or "alt-right"..

It's GOOD that's you're NOT doing that. But be aware that a lot of folks are using this anarchy and death for political advantage by EXAGGERATING the support for radical right. And including rational citizens that don't want to live in a country that purges history....

All this ----- over a statue... When the nation is already in chaos and danger. WHY do you think the support is PURPOSELY being exaggerated to ridiculous extremes? I think I know the answer to that....
WHY do you think the support is PURPOSELY being exaggerated to ridiculous extremes?

I think people exaggerate the verity of pretty much anything for a variety of reasons, mostly these: naivete, intellectual sloth, disingenuousness or willful dissimulation. Legitimate cases do not need appeals to extremes.

purging historical monuments and symbols

I won't shrink from thinking that that "preserving history" argument for maintaining monuments to the icons and iconography of the Confederacy is a crock of sh*t. Yesterday, I here shared my thoughts to that effect.

I disagree. There are already people sanitizing the Holocaust and some of the survivors of the Holocaust are still alive. This purge has to be done but done correctly. The statues need to be removed and either place on battle sites or place in Museums for future generations to see with plaques made up putting the monument into a proper perspective that reflects todays values while keeping it's historical accuracy. We shouldn't look at this with 2017 eyes but with 2057 eyes. Point out that the confederacy was glorified and it's generals considered hero's until now at which time there was a new purge to put such things in their proper place. This is part of the evolution of this country and will be looked upon much like we now look at the Civil Rights Movement and the Civil war itself. It's important and yesterdays protest will become part of it's fabric much as stories like Mississippi Burning and the numerous civil rights marches. We need to keep it even if we don't like it, lets just put stuff like this in proper venues.

I'm disappointed in yesterdays protest. I don't like the KKK but they have a constitutional right to free speech. When they showed up in commando gear that should have told police things could get out of hand. Streets should have been blocked off and counter protestors kept well away from protestors. The counter protest could have been done on another street well away from the clan. That said I was equally disappointed in counter protestors as I saw pic's of them fighting and at least one with a make shift flame thrower made from something flammable like hair spray and a lighter. He carried that into the march with plans to use it. I also think Trumps statement that it was wrong from all sides. Clearly you had haters on both sides who came with intention to do harm and stifle free speech. You also had unwise decisions on the part officials overseeing the protest because the two sides never should have been allowed to meet. They have a right to free speech not a right to have a brawl. Hindsight being 20/20 future evens of this nature should have all roads blocked and vehicles kept well away from protestors and all side kept well away from each other.

Americans behaving badly IMHO.

My sympathies to the family of the woman killed and the two police officers who died in the helicopter Crash, may they never be forgotten.

I am curious to know what the numerical representation was among the "Unite the Right" protesters and the counter-protesters who decry their ideals and demands.

From where I sit, it'd certainly be small consolation in the aftermath of such of the calamity to learn that more Americans courageously took upon themselves the burden of literally standing and being counted as amongst those who oppose white nationalism than felt obliged to advance white supremacy's odious notions.

Of course that's the case. But like any "good crisis" it will be hijacked for political interpretation. The talking points were already out there by noon. To conflate EVERY Repub, Trump Supporter or Trump himself and every American that OPPOSES purging historical monuments and symbols ----- as being Nazis, White Supremacists or "alt-right"..

It's GOOD that's you're NOT doing that. But be aware that a lot of folks are using this anarchy and death for political advantage by EXAGGERATING the support for radical right. And including rational citizens that don't want to live in a country that purges history....

All this ----- over a statue... When the nation is already in chaos and danger. WHY do you think the support is PURPOSELY being exaggerated to ridiculous extremes? I think I know the answer to that....
WHY do you think the support is PURPOSELY being exaggerated to ridiculous extremes?

I think people exaggerate the verity of pretty much anything for a variety of reasons, mostly these: naivete, intellectual sloth, disingenuousness or willful dissimulation. Legitimate cases do not need appeals to extremes.

I won't shrink from thinking that that "preserving history" argument for maintaining monuments to the icons and iconography of the Confederacy is a crock of sh*t. Yesterday, I here shared my thoughts to that effect.
I disagree. There are already people sanitizing the Holocaust and some of the survivors of the Holocaust are still alive. This purge has to be done but done correctly. The statues need to be removed and either place on battle sites or place in Museums for future generations to see with plaques made up putting the monument into a proper perspective that reflects todays values while keeping it's historical accuracy. We shouldn't look at this with 2017 eyes but with 2057 eyes. Point out that the confederacy was glorified and it's generals considered hero's until now at which time there was a new purge to put such things in their proper place. This is part of the evolution of this country and will be looked upon much like we now look at the Civil Rights Movement and the Civil war itself. It's important and yesterdays protest will become part of it's fabric much as stories like Mississippi Burning and the numerous civil rights marches. We need to keep it even if we don't like it, lets just put stuff like this in proper venues.

Nope.. Not in Museums. It's a bad precedent that will be abused. The slippery slope is too dangerous to allow raging PARTISANS to control.. Best controlled by the people and communities.

How do you put THIS --- into a Museum???

WashingtonandLeeUniversity-.jpg

That's the College of Washington and Lee. Still a valued school. Too much chance for witchhunts and Inquisitions by law and power of the State.

Just have the tolerance and the maturity to know the stories and accept them..

Around 1900 the 'Lynch' family donated the land for three elementary schools to be built in Oregon.
Now the mayor of the city the schools were built in has announced the city will rename the schools so as not to "Offend the feelings of negro kids attending the schools".
Next the words "Black" as in blackboard will no longer be used?
Crayons will no longer have 'black' or 'white' ones?
Dana Perino said the other day: "This is how a country is destroyed from within".
And it's become increasingly clear that White America is indeed being destroyed from within.

From the Washington and Lee College website ----

Founded in 1749, Washington and Lee University is named for two men who played pivotal roles in the University's history: George Washington, whose generous endowment of $20,000 in 1796 helped the fledgling school (then known as Liberty Hall Academy) survive, and Robert E. Lee, who provided innovative educational leadership during his transformational tenure as president of Washington College from 1865 to 1870.

The University is located in the historic city of Lexington, Virginia (population 7,000), a warm, welcoming and historic college town located in the Great Valley of Virginia between the Blue Ridge and the Allegheny Mountains. W&L’s 35 principal buildings include the picturesque Washington College group forming the Colonnade facing Lee Chapel, where Robert E. Lee is buried. The Colonnade and Lee Chapel are National Historic Landmarks.

The ninth oldest institution of higher education in America, Washington and Lee is composed of two undergraduate divisions, the College and the Williams School of Commerce, Economics, and Politics; and a graduate School of Law. Offering 37 undergraduate majors and 29 minors, including a number of interdisciplinary programs, the University prides itself on the depth and breadth of our curriculum, in which traditional liberal arts courses are augmented by offerings from the only fully-accredited business school and fully-accredited journalism program among the nation's top-tier liberal arts colleges.

How much of ANY of that do RATIONAL non-flaming party partisans want to erase?? What will you ALLOW them to erase? Gotz NOTHING to do with "white nationalists". It's between YOU and ME..

Not gonna happen in a free and rational America..

The statues need to be removed and either place on battle sites or place in Museums for future generations to see with plaques made up putting the monument into a proper perspective that reflects todays values while keeping it's historical accuracy.

I'm fine with that for it's consistent with presenting history. It's bit more graphically melodramatic than what one typically comes by when visiting historic battlefields and the like, but that's okay. If someone were to, say, take all the statues of Jefferson Davis, R. E. Lee, et al and put them in myriad battlefields and so on like set pieces on a chessboard, I have no problem with that.

The tack you've suggested doesn't put those luminaries in places of honor, which is what I find objectionable. Rather, your suggestion puts them in fitting places and in perspective, as you aptly note. My objection is the regaling of Confederates and the Confederacy's ideals by ensconcing them and the memory of them and what they stood for in city parks, bridges, state-owned buildings and so on.

The statues need to be removed and either place on battle sites or place in Museums for future generations to see with plaques made up putting the monument into a proper perspective that reflects todays values while keeping it's historical accuracy.

I'm fine with that for it's consistent with presenting history. It's bit more graphically melodramatic than what one typically comes by when visiting historic battlefields and the like, but that's okay. If someone were to, say, take all the statues of Jefferson Davis, R. E. Lee, et al and put them in myriad battlefields and so on like set pieces on a chessboard, I have no problem with that.

The tack you've suggested doesn't put those luminaries in places of honor, which is what I find objectionable. Rather, your suggestion puts them in fitting places and in perspective, as you aptly note. My objection is the regaling of Confederates and the Confederacy's ideals by ensconcing them and the memory of them and what they stood for in city parks, bridges, state-owned buildings and so on.

So because the GOVT owns the land they stand on -- they are allowed to censor history?

In Berlin -- if you take a tour bus -- it whizzes right by the Nazi monuments. Including Hitler's "non bunker" home -- without a comment or announcement. What does that accomplish? Several times there's been efforts to RAZE his home. No discussion of Nazi history and Hitler means ignoring the past.

That's not healthy. What you gonna do about Washington and Lee University? Shutter it? Force a name change? Why? Dig him up and move him to an undisclosed location? That's just juvenile and for folks who can't just accept the stories and history..

Nope.. Not in Museums. It's a bad precedent that will be abused. The slippery slope is too dangerous to allow raging PARTISANS to control.. Best controlled by the people and communities.

That's the College of Washington and Lee. Still a valued school. Too much chance for witchhunts and Inquisitions by law and power of the State.

That's the College of Washington and Lee.

W&L is a private university. They can regale whomever they want and their doing so cannot legitimately be construed as the state honoring anything having to do with the Confederacy.

The issue I have with statuary and honoring the Confederacy, its leaders and its ideals is that it is inappropriate in association with federal, state, county and city organs, objects and institutions. If a private citizen or institution wants to erect statuary of the entire pantheon of Confederate politicians and sing their praises 'til the cows come home, well, that's their right. The government of the United States of America has no business honoring anything having to do with the Confederate States of America and its values. It might be different had the CSA won the War of Southern Aggression, but it didn't.

So because the GOVT owns the land they stand on -- they are allowed to censor history?

In Berlin -- if you take a tour bus -- it whizzes right by the Nazi monuments. Including Hitler's "non bunker" home -- without a comment or announcement. What does that accomplish? Several times there's been efforts to RAZE his home. No discussion of Nazi history and Hitler means ignoring the past.

That's not healthy. What you gonna do about Washington and Lee University? Shutter it? Force a name change? Why? Dig him up and move him to an undisclosed location? That's just juvenile and for folks who can't just accept the stories and history..

History is neither altered nor censored by dint of a statute not appearing on government property.

That's the College of Washington and Lee.

W&L is a private university. They can regale whomever they want and their doing so cannot legitimately be construed as the state honoring anything having to do with the Confederacy.

The issue I have with statuary and honoring the Confederacy, its leaders and its ideals is that it is inappropriate in association with federal, state, county and city organs, objects and institutions. If a private citizen or institution wants to erect statuary of the entire pantheon of Confederate politicians and sing their praises 'til the cows come home, well, that's their right. The government of the United States of America has no business honoring anything having to do with the Confederate States of America and its values. It might be different had the CSA won the War of Southern Aggression, but it didn't.

Why the distinction? Is GETTYSBURG not a city/state/Federal creation? Are those govts not representing the PEOPLE? What makes it their job to Purge and Edit history? Which of their constituencies are gonna be winners? If ANYTHING -- the GOVT should be more concerned about PRESERVING HISTORY, heritage and culture than the people they represent as a whole.

In Berlin -- if you take a tour bus -- it whizzes right by the Nazi monuments. Including Hitler's "non bunker" home -- without a comment or announcement.

The matter of statuary depicting luminaries of the Confederate States of America is one whereby the United States of America and organs of the state honor the leaders of a nation it defeated. Remember, the members of the CSA seceded from the United States of America and formed a nation of their own.

Go to London and see if you can find in abundance comparable (absolutely or proportionately) honor given by the British government and its state and local counterparts to Nazi Germany's luminaries as is in the U.S. given to CSA leaders. Outside of perhaps museums, one will find few to no such accolades. In the U.S., does one find abundant memorials to Japanese WWII luminaries? Are the original 13 states rife with honoraria to British Revolutionary War figures? No is the answer to both questions.

No discussion of Nazi history and Hitler means ignoring the past.

History does not in order to be discussed, thus not ignored, need a statue or other memorial. Of what historical topic/matter must one see a statue or bridge name or building name to know the event/person once existed and what its/their significance was and is?

I'm not suggesting that we remove from history texts all mention of the Confederacy. I'm simply saying we don't need statues of its luminaries and sponsors in places of abstract prominence.

Why the distinction? Is GETTYSBURG not a city/state/Federal creation?

That was already explained and highlighted explicitly to you, twice that I can recall.

Go to London and see if you can find in abundance comparable (absolutely or proportionately) honor given by the British government and its state and local counterparts to Nazi Germany's luminaries as is in the U.S. given to CSA leaders.

Nice try at historical relevancy, but our Civil War has nothing in common with Britain's defense against a Nazi invasion (at least from the North's perspective). They have had their own civil wars and insurrections, and do NOT try to mask their historical events with politically correctness like we are doing.

Last edited:
If you think it was really all over just a statue your wrong:
Meet the man in the middle of the 'Unite the Right' rally

Why was that man there in that town? It's all about purging history. Something that MILLIONS agree is totalitarian bullshit. That's why he was there... And local/state leadership probably HOPED for the Deep Fried Crackers to come and make an issue of it. IN FACT -- they expected it.

But the crackers don't represent the millions that oppose removing all monuments and symbols of the Confederacy... That's a Taliban move on the part of the leftists who put that program at a high priority when the nation is troubled with a Zillion bigger issues..

The issue isn't EVERY Republican feels this way but that there are a substantial number of racists who are drawn to the party.
. You forget that the democrats started the KKK. Woodrow ?wilson had them at the White House for gala celebrations. Kkk is democrat thru and thru.

All this ----- over a statue...
Usually I agree with you. This isn't one of them. Some say the same about our AMERICAN flag.

Sometimes our symbols are worth fighting for. If the COMMUNISTS want to protest, they have that right. When they instigate a fight, they cross that line. Unfortunately, it's a proven tactic they won't give up.

Around 1900 the 'Lynch' family donated the land for three elementary schools to be built in Oregon.
Now the mayor of the city the schools were built in has announced the city will rename the schools so as not to "Offend the feelings of negro kids attending the schools".
Next the words "Black" as in blackboard will no longer be used?
Crayons will no longer have 'black' or 'white' ones?
Dana Perino said the other day: "This is how a country is destroyed from within".
And it's become increasingly clear that White America is indeed being destroyed from within.

Their mentality can't comprehend that.. The Governmental Gods could never do such things to hurt the American people.

Forum List

Back