Some Arguments for Atheism

heirtothewind

VIP Member
Oct 17, 2014
Las Vegas NV
There have been many skeptics since classical antiquity [eg, Cicero's De Natura Deorum]. Mark Twain's ''Letters from Earth'' and Robert Ingersoll's Writings are humorous and entertaining. The atheist's arguments can fall under three general rubrics-

LACK OF EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE

God is simply the way man explains the unknown. The rising and setting of the sun was once Apollo's chariot driven across the sky. Science replaces the need for gods.

EXISTENCE OF EVIL

Wars, disease, starvation, and every other evil we can read in newspapers daily do not point to a benevolent and loving supreme being or creator. Destroying the world with a flood seems rather vengeful -- a very human rather than divine quality -- for an imperfect creation. It is like a child throwing a temper tantrum because a toy ceases to work. Moreover, the begetting of a son through a virgin who then must die by crucifixion so he can rise from the dead seems a very convoluted way for an omnipotent being to save mankind.

MULTIPLE AND INCONSISTENT REVELATIONS

I would think that, if Christianity were the true religion with the bible as the word of god, more than just 25-percent of the world would be Christians over the past 2,000 years. The world, however, comprises many religions with conflicting beliefs --- even within Christianity.

Debate will not change anyone's mind because religion gives a comforting belief not based in reason. logic, or science. Religion caters to our fear of the unknown [death] and thrives on mythology and superstition. For me, Ovid's Metamorphoses [an epic collection of classical myths] is a better read than the Bible [which I find only useful for reviewing the syntax and vocabulary of late Latin].

I invite your opinions.

There have been many skeptics since classical antiquity [eg, Cicero's De Natura Deorum]. Mark Twain's ''Letters from Earth'' and Robert Ingersoll's Writings are humorous and entertaining. The atheist's arguments can fall under three general rubrics-

LACK OF EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE

God is simply the way man explains the unknown. The rising and setting of the sun was once Apollo's chariot driven across the sky. Science replaces the need for gods.

EXISTENCE OF EVIL

Wars, disease, starvation, and every other evil we can read in newspapers daily do not point to a benevolent and loving supreme being or creator. Destroying the world with a flood seems rather vengeful -- a very human rather than divine quality -- for an imperfect creation. It is like a child throwing a temper tantrum because a toy ceases to work. Moreover, the begetting of a son through a virgin who then must die by crucifixion so he can rise from the dead seems a very convoluted way for an omnipotent being to save mankind.

MULTIPLE AND INCONSISTENT REVELATIONS

I would think that, if Christianity were the true religion with the bible as the word of god, more than just 25-percent of the world would be Christians over the past 2,000 years. The world, however, comprises many religions with conflicting beliefs --- even within Christianity.

Debate will not change anyone's mind because religion gives a comforting belief not based in reason. logic, or science. Religion caters to our fear of the unknown [death] and thrives on mythology and superstition. For me, Ovid's Metamorphoses [an epic collection of classical myths] is a better read than the Bible [which I find only useful for reviewing the syntax and vocabulary of late Latin].

I invite your opinions.

Only 3? I count 46 arguments. Maybe you should read the other 43 then decide.

Why there is no god

Forum List

Back