Solar-powered boat

You know, with all the technology we have today, there should be a safe way to harness the hydrogen and make it safe.

Besides..................making your own power from the very water you are traveling through would be the ultimate green vehicle.

I mean................companies have made hydrogen powered cars, why can't they make subs?
Power in has to be less than power out. I don't believe this is possible using oxygen generators. Why not just use a reactor?

You're not making any sense. And the oxygen generating process that the scientist showed on the television didn't take that much power.

By the way, you wouldn't be using an oxygen generator to make power, you would be using the resulting HYDROGEN that comes from generating oxygen, and hydrogen is a pretty decent type of fuel for making energy.

And.....................got news for you..................just about every U.S. Navy submarine has a reactor for power.

The only reason I brought up the hydrogen thing is because of what I'd seen on a documentary on subs.

I wonder how fast it goes?

You know, since they are just using it for a ferry, I really don't think that speed is much of a factor. Reliability and safety would be at the top instead of speed.

Actually it means quite a bit.
Speed indicates power. You ever try and use a trolling motor on a windy day?
That thing will catch the wind like a mofo!

T%C3%BBranor-PlanetSolar-abu-dhabi-061.jpg

MS PlanetSolar Turanor: World's Largest Solar-Powered Boat Docks in NYC

turanor-trip.jpg

It's big, it's ugly, and it doesn't have squat for deck space.

I still kinda like it though.

i like it

there are some pictures on the link of the cabin

hard to fish from though

Put some plexiglass over the panels and you'd have plenty of deck space.

Maybe on the main part of the boat, but where they overhang the body, I'd be really leery about walking out there.

Wonder how fast this one can go though, and what kind of propulsion system it has?

i like it

hard to fish from though

Maybe on the main part of the boat, but where they overhang the body, I'd be really leery about walking out there.

Wonder how fast this one can go though, and what kind of propulsion system it has?

i dont have to time to investigate now

but in this video

it makes a wake

www.planetsolar.org

i like it

hard to fish from though

If you were to build it based on a pleasure/fishing boat platform you could easily do it. Of course you'd sacrifice some speed but who cares. Hell,sailboats only cruz at around 9 knots.

i like it

hard to fish from though

If you were to build it based on a pleasure/fishing boat platform you could easily do it. Of course you'd sacrifice some speed but who cares. Hell,sailboats only cruz at around 9 knots.

when i am fishing walleye

i move along a at 1 or 1.5 mph

i like it

hard to fish from though

Depends on the type of sailboat. Speed record currently is around 75 mph.

In pictures: The eight fastest sailboats in the world

If you have one of those with the rigid sails made of carbon fiber, they can be quite quick.

i like it

hard to fish from though

If you have one of those with the rigid sails made of carbon fiber, they can be quite quick.

Well yeah but thats hardly a pleasure boat or a fishing boat.
Your average sailing yacht cruises around 9 or 10 knots.
And while they obviously can go faster in the right conditions thats a general average.

i like it

hard to fish from though

And while they obviously can go faster in the right conditions thats a general average.

Just bustin' your chops dude. Saw a documentary on speedy things the other day and one of those really fast sailboats was on it. Amazing to watch them slice through the water like they had engines.

Just bustin' your chops dude. Saw a documentary on speedy things the other day and one of those really fast sailboats was on it. Amazing to watch them slice through the water like they had engines.

Yeah...I love watching The America's Cup.
Those things fly!!!

You know, with all the technology we have today, there should be a safe way to harness the hydrogen and make it safe.

Besides..................making your own power from the very water you are traveling through would be the ultimate green vehicle.

I mean................companies have made hydrogen powered cars, why can't they make subs?
Power in has to be less than power out. I don't believe this is possible using oxygen generators. Why not just use a reactor?

You're not making any sense. And the oxygen generating process that the scientist showed on the television didn't take that much power.

By the way, you wouldn't be using an oxygen generator to make power, you would be using the resulting HYDROGEN that comes from generating oxygen, and hydrogen is a pretty decent type of fuel for making energy.

And.....................got news for you..................just about every U.S. Navy submarine has a reactor for power.

The only reason I brought up the hydrogen thing is because of what I'd seen on a documentary on subs.
Ok, very simply, in order to make power for a submarine it either would have to be near inexhaustable, such as nuclear reactor or you would need to make at least as much energy as it took to make the energy. Thus it is not possible to make Hydrogen and then "burn" it to make energy to make Hydrogen because no process is 100 percent efficient. Now using a hydrogen generator on something like a sail boat with solar panels makes sense.

Ok, very simply, in order to make power for a submarine it either would have to be near inexhaustable, such as nuclear reactor or you would need to make at least as much energy as it took to make the energy. Thus it is not possible to make Hydrogen and then "burn" it to make energy to make Hydrogen because no process is 100 percent efficient. Now using a hydrogen generator on something like a sail boat with solar panels makes sense.

Actually, the very first submarines burned diesel and used electric batteries. They didn't become nuclear powered until Adm. Rickover and his building of the nuke program. The first one was the USS Nautilus.

The question is........how much hydrogen do you have to burn to power a small sub, and would it be feasible to power it from the leftover hydrogen from making oxygen? THOSE are the questions you have to ask yourself first. And......how much energy is generated from a cubic foot of hydrogen?

Because the energy recovered from recombining the separated oxygen and hydrogen is less than the energy it took to separate it.

Forum List

Back