Solar-powered boat

You know, if they can make this thing work it would be AWESOME!!!!

And............there are LOTS of places here in the US that could use something like that. Think Cape May ferry in NJ for one, because they run a ferry service across the water.

And................if it uses the new batteries that Musk developed, this could be a proven game changer.

I am working on a solar submarine.

You know, I watched a documentary on one of the latest subs to be commissioned the other day and they showed how subs make oxygen. They simply use electricity to break the bond between the hydrogen and oxygen, resulting in pure oxygen and hydrogen.

Now..............we already know you need oxygen to breathe on a sub, and since the process of producing it also yields hydrogen, I wonder if there would be a way to harness the hydrogen produced and use it to power the sub?

I think that would work better than a solar powered sub (yes, I know you were joking), because below 150 ft. there is little to no light.

You know, I watched a documentary on one of the latest subs to be commissioned the other day and they showed how subs make oxygen. They simply use electricity to break the bond between the hydrogen and oxygen, resulting in pure oxygen and hydrogen.

Now..............we already know you need oxygen to breathe on a sub, and since the process of producing it also yields hydrogen, I wonder if there would be a way to harness the hydrogen produced and use it to power the sub?

I think that would work better than a solar powered sub (yes, I know you were joking), because below 150 ft. there is little to no light.

Very good thought! Only thing is that hydrogen is very volatile. So accumulating it in a significant quantity would probably be a liability.

Not only that but a submarine needs much more power than a few panels can provide.

Interesting thought but I believe that in using hydrogen as a source would take oxygen making it an uneconomic trade off. Besides being dangerous as hell, as were/are the oxygen generators.

You know, with all the technology we have today, there should be a safe way to harness the hydrogen and make it safe.

Besides..................making your own power from the very water you are traveling through would be the ultimate green vehicle.

I mean................companies have made hydrogen powered cars, why can't they make subs?

This is a good development and if it succeeds, it will be one step towards reducing pollution.

You know, with all the technology we have today, there should be a safe way to harness the hydrogen and make it safe.

Besides..................making your own power from the very water you are traveling through would be the ultimate green vehicle.

I mean................companies have made hydrogen powered cars, why can't they make subs?

I certainly think that with appropriate safeguards, hydrogen can be harnessed. However, unless you are talking about fusion, in order to generate energy using hydrogen, you will need combustion. This will require oxygen and therefore would negate the objective for which the hydrogen in the submarine was created. Modern submarines are powered by nuclear reactors. They produce more energy than a submarine would ever need.

Last edited:
This is a good development and if it succeeds, it will be one step towards reducing pollution.

You know, the pollution reduction is good, but I'm thinking more about the out of the way places that are accessible by water, but are still in poverty because shipping the fuel for use is expensive. With a solar powered boat, they would only have to worry about changing batteries every so often and the basic upkeep.

There are several places in the world where increased accessibility has resulted in an economic boom for a place that once was just a little out of the way village.

You know, the pollution reduction is good, but I'm thinking more about the out of the way places that are accessible by water, but are still in poverty because shipping the fuel for use is expensive. With a solar powered boat, they would only have to worry about changing batteries every so often and the basic upkeep.

There are several places in the world where increased accessibility has resulted in an economic boom for a place that once was just a little out of the way village.

Petroleum is becoming an expensive commodity for every country other than those who produce it in abundance. So looking for more sustainable source of energy has become top priority for a number of countries including India. India is heavily invested in solar technology because as you rightly pointed out it reduces the cost of powering industrial infrastructure. There are air-ports in India that are powered by solar energy. There are multiple solar farms under construction in India at the moment.

If one has the power to separate hydrogen and oxygen one has ample power for the submarine. In any case, the oxygen would be needed to combine with the hydrogen in power production. Lose, lose.

Power in has to be less than power out. I don't believe this is possible using oxygen generators. Why not just use a reactor?

Have you bought batteries lately? Not exactly what I would call cheap.

Have you bought batteries lately? Not exactly what I would call cheap.

You cannot use a nuclear reactor for a ferry boat :) But yes, for a submarine, perhaps nuclear reactor would be the best source of energy.

If one has the power to separate hydrogen and oxygen one has ample power for the submarine. In any case, the oxygen would be needed to combine with the hydrogen in power production. Lose, lose.

For large vessels like submarines and surface vessels like aircraft carriers, nuclear reactor is an ideal source of energy. As far as submarines are concerned, since they are submerged for the major part of their deployment, use of solar power is out of question. May be in the future, with the advancement in solar technology, we may see solar powered surface vessels like air craft carriers. But for now, nuclear reactor is the best source of energy for large sea vessels.

Forum List

Back