So what exactly is the point of the popular vote when the electoral college is already decided?

Pedro de San Patricio

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2015
California
I'm a citizen of Alabama. If I vote for the GOP candidate, then it doesn't matter because he's going to get all of Alabama's electoral votes anyway. If I vote for the Democratic candidate, then it doesn't matter because she's not getting any of Alabama's electoral votes anyway. If I abstain from voting, then it's basically giving my tacit support to the GOP candidate, who's going to win Alabama no matter what. If I encourage everyone to vote Democratic and succeed to the extent that the majority of Alabamians vote blue, then the electoral votes are going to the GOP candidate regardless, because the representatives know which hand feeds them. Even if they piss everyone off by giving our votes to the wrong person, they still know full well that all it's going to take to make everything better is slashing funding for science classes and giving every church personhood so they can be put on welfare. And let's be honest with ourselves for a change. It wouldn't be any less corrupt were I a citizen of a blue state. The biggest difference between home and here that I can see is that California would have enough illegals voting Democratic that it would matter even less which way I went.

It wouldn't realistically happen. In the hypothetical even that it did, I could easily see the representatives voting against the popular will to stick with their party. It's not the people who fund their campaigns. It's the party. The people would be pissed for a while, but let's be honest. All Rep Joe Whatshisnuts has to do is tell them the right things next election and they'll fall back into line.

There is absolutely NO evidence that a State's electoral voters ever voted against the State results in the general election. In fact in some States the reps are required by law to vote for the person that won the Popular vote in that state for x number of times if more then one vote is required.

I request that you provide us a link to evidence that your State ever did any such thing.

Forum List

Back