Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I like mashed potatoes

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters

The Rabbi

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2009
Nashville
I am reading a book called Inside the Asylum about the U.N. He lays out the case that the UN is corrupt and ineffective. Aside from a few programs (eradicating malaria) the UN has utterly failed in its mission.
Is it time for the U.S. to withdraw and make a new organization of democratic countries committed to individual rights?

I am reading a book called Inside the Asylum about the U.N. He lays out the case that the UN is corrupt and ineffective. Aside from a few programs (eradicating malaria) the UN has utterly failed in its mission.
Is it time for the U.S. to withdraw and make a new organization of democratic countries committed to individual rights?

Time for the U.S. to "make a new organization of democratic countries committed to individual rights?" Where to start...

How about the U.S. needs to get its own house in order in the arena of individual rights? We have a lot of nanny laws on the books to get rid of first, mah friend.

How about the arrogance that presumes the U.S. should "make" a nation of "democratic" countries? What's a "democratic" country? Who decides? You? Me?

I don't recommend throwing the baby out with the bath water. In a shrinking global society, we need to start doing a better job of coexisting with our neighbors. An organization that restricts membership to only a select group of nations cannot legitimately be said to be a global organization.

I don't recommend throwing the baby out with the bath water. In a shrinking global society, we need to start doing a better job of coexisting with our neighbors. An organization that restricts membership to only a select group of nations cannot legitimately be said to be a global organization.

Agree. There is room for improvement in the UN. But it is still an unprecidented forum for international discussion of critical issues.

Time for the U.S. to "make a new organization of democratic countries committed to individual rights?" Where to start...

How about the U.S. needs to get its own house in order in the arena of individual rights? We have a lot of nanny laws on the books to get rid of first, mah friend.

How about the arrogance that presumes the U.S. should "make" a nation of "democratic" countries? What's a "democratic" country? Who decides? You? Me?

Do you really want to compare U.S. laws with, say Libya? Are you actually making that comparison?
And if you cannot tell the difference between a democratic country and a non free one, do you have any moral compass at all?

But it is still an unprecidented forum for international discussion of critical issues.

I agree, thats what makes it valuable.

The internet is an unprecedented forum for discussion. And it is not ruled over by petty dictators and thugs.
What good has the UN accomplished in the last 20 years to justify its existence?

Provided a global forum in which to further diplomatic discussions in a more transparent way than discussions between only two countries does. Also a great PR and geopolitical messaging device to get a countries POV across to the globe.

Agree. There is room for improvement in the UN. But it is still an unprecidented forum for international discussion of critical issues.

Yeah like how evil Israel is, or how man made global warming is a crisis I think that is being done cheaper and more effectively on Captain planet and college campuses.

I agree, thats what makes it valuable.

The internet is an unprecedented forum for discussion. And it is not ruled over by petty dictators and thugs.
What good has the UN accomplished in the last 20 years to justify its existence?

Provided a global forum in which to further diplomatic discussions in a more transparent way than discussions between only two countries does. Also a great PR and geopolitical messaging device to get a countries POV across to the globe.

How are secret meetings "more transparent"? What good does "providing a global forum" do? The internet already does that. And countries have access to PR firms to get their message across. Look at the PLO. They have waged a very succesful PR campaign not using the UN at all.
Somehow providing a forum that legitimizes thugocracies and kleptocrats doesn't seem like a good use of time and money to me. But feel free to differ.

Yeah like how evil Israel is, or how man made global warming is a crisis I think that is being done cheaper and more effectively on Captain planet and college campuses.

Representatives in the UN are free to present their views whether rightwing America agrees or not.

Representatives in the UN are free to present their views whether rightwing America agrees or not.

Yes, but we don't want to fund their bullshit opinions anymore

Let them try presenting their views in their home countries, where they will find themselves disappeared if they break the party line.

Let them try presenting their views in their home countries, where they will find themselves disappeared if they break the party line.

Doesn't mean they should not be allowed to present them to the world. Whether you agree with them or not, they have a right to be heard

Doesn't mean they should not be allowed to present them to the world. Whether you agree with them or not, they have a right to be heard

They have a right to put their money where their big fat mouths are too. Why should the USA pay 25% of the bill. DUmmie.

You're a moron, and I'll tell you why. The U.N. has been under attack for decades from the far right wing of American politics, lead initially by the John Birch Society. Suggesting a new organizations of democratic countries committed to individual rights might not include the United States.
Consider the outrage of the RW and the populist pols in the state of Arizona who passed 1070, or efforts by the Republican Party to disenfranchise voters likely to vote for Democratic candidates, and efforts to pass ex post facto laws revoking the citizenship of constitutionally defined Americans.
Now, as to why your a moron. You regulary post talking points, this one is decades old and has been a halmark of the far, far rigtht. And you want to establish a bloc of nations, defined as democratic. and exclude nations you believe are not.
Even if the U.N. is ineffective, setting up a singular agency as you suggest is stupid, and only a moron would not be able to foresee the consequences of such stupidity.

Who is preventing them from being heard? Are we obligated to provide millions of dollars for this?
This is where lefties get it wrong. Having a right does not mean the rest of us need to cough up so you can exercise it. If that were the case I'd want my own newspaper.

Do you really want to compare U.S. laws with, say Libya? Are you actually making that comparison?
And if you cannot tell the difference between a democratic country and a non free one, do you have any moral compass at all?

You are aware that the US has about 1000x more power in the UN than Libya does, right?

You're a moron, and I'll tell you why. The U.N. has been under attack for decades from the far right wing of American politics, lead initially by the John Birch Society. Suggesting a new organizations of democratic countries committed to individual rights might not include the United States.
Consider the outrage of the RW and the populist pols in the state of Arizona who passed 1070, or efforts by the Republican Party to disenfranchise voters likely to vote for Democratic candidates, and efforts to pass ex post facto laws revoking the citizenship of constitutionally defined Americans.
Now, as to why your a moron. You regulary post talking points, this one is decades old and has been a halmark of the far, far rigtht. And you want to establish a bloc of nations, defined as democratic. and exclude nations you believe are not.
Even if the U.N. is ineffective, setting up a singular agency as you suggest is stupid, and only a moron would not be able to foresee the consequences of such stupidity.

The UN has proven itself to be inept and corrupt.
And if you can't tell the difference between North Korea and the U.S. then your moral compass is gone. Like we didnt know that.

Forum List

Back