Should the US leave the UN?

• Yes-Get us out and save money

Votes: 19 79.2%
  • No- They are the only legitimate international body

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I like mashed potatoes

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters
How exactly is the UN "ruled over" by petty dictators and thugs? Yes some have a presence in the UN, but it is rather a huge jump to go from them existing in the organization to them ruling it.

As for accomplishments, its hard to judge a preventative program. Because when it prevents a problem you never see it, since it is by definition nonexistant. However, that being said, there are numerous examples of UN successes to anyone honest enough to spend a minute looking for them. If you want just a quick few examples see UN operations in Kashmir, Cyprus, and Lebanon.

And no...just because the UN doesn't solve everything doesn't mean an operation isn't a success.

Kashmir. This has been going on since 1948 and the UN has done nothing.
Kashmir And The United Nations By Wajahat Ahmad
India and Pakistan are still waging at least cold war.
Lebanon? Now a wholly owned subsidiary of Syria
Cyprus is ancient history as well.
Nice try, major fail.

Are you really this fucking stupid?

Those were peacekeeping operations. Those are successes because of the noted lack of WAR and the lives that the UN saved.

Exactly what do you expect the UN to do in those cases? Seriously. If you want to criticize them for acting poorly in those individual cases, how do you think they should have acted?

Lack of war? What are you smoking?
Kashmir erupted in war.
Lebanon was decimated by war for 20 years
Cyprus was racked by war between Greece and Turkey.
There was not a single instance of peace keeping. They were all failures. Somalia was supposed to be a peace keeping effort too. Total failure.

The UN has proven itself to be inept and corrupt.
And if you can't tell the difference between North Korea and the U.S. then your moral compass is gone. Like we didnt know that.

You're, as usual, full of shit. Even you acknowledge the U.N. has had a positve impact on Malaria, and one might add dozens of other programs including peace keeping. In any large organization some corruption - Enron ring a bell?
So, in your world, it's better to isolate N. Korea and further alienate an insane leader risking a continuaton of the Korean War - and the possibility of Nuclear Weapons being used - rather then intermediate steps?
Of course if war resumes on the Korean Peninsula you won't march into harms way, but I'm sure you'll be happy to send my sons and others peoples kids. You're not only stupid, you're a stupid asshole.

The UN's peace keeping missions are a joke. The mission in Israel has become simply a base for terrorists to launch attacks against Israel.
They have one or two decent programs that could probably be done better by someone else. That does not justify the cost or the problems with the organization, which are both intractable.
And if I recall the Korean War was fought under UN mandate. Or did you forget that?

Of couse the Korean War was fought under a U.N. mandate, so, ostensibly was the invasion and occupation of Iraq. Do you have a point, or were you trying to show that you're not a moron by demonstrating your knowledge of history - a history only and uneducated, ill informed and incurious American wouldn't know.
I stand by my assessment, you're a stupid asshole.

Actually its hugely important that there is a global forum where countries go to hash out differences. It means that if countries have a problem with each other, they oftentimes take it to the UN (or the ICJ) as opposed to starting a war. No, the UN doesn't solve every problem out there, but its done a damn good job in a lot of them.

Really?
Did they prevent the Iraq war? Did they prevent the Gulf War? Did they prevent the Russian incursion into Chechnya? Did they prevent the war i the Balkans? Did they prevent the genocide in Rwanda?
Please name a war they have prevented in the last 25 years by talking.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Wars that don't exist usually aren't named.

Fuck but you are stupid.

Please, name a war that was averted i the last 25 years by UN action. Certainly it shouldnt be hard to name the players here.

You're, as usual, full of shit. Even you acknowledge the U.N. has had a positve impact on Malaria, and one might add dozens of other programs including peace keeping. In any large organization some corruption - Enron ring a bell?
So, in your world, it's better to isolate N. Korea and further alienate an insane leader risking a continuaton of the Korean War - and the possibility of Nuclear Weapons being used - rather then intermediate steps?
Of course if war resumes on the Korean Peninsula you won't march into harms way, but I'm sure you'll be happy to send my sons and others peoples kids. You're not only stupid, you're a stupid asshole.

The UN's peace keeping missions are a joke. The mission in Israel has become simply a base for terrorists to launch attacks against Israel.
They have one or two decent programs that could probably be done better by someone else. That does not justify the cost or the problems with the organization, which are both intractable.
And if I recall the Korean War was fought under UN mandate. Or did you forget that?

Of couse the Korean War was fought under a U.N. mandate, so, ostensibly was the invasion and occupation of Iraq. Do you have a point, or were you trying to show that you're not a moron by demonstrating your knowledge of history - a history only and uneducated, ill informed and incurious American wouldn't know.

The invasion of IRaq was specifically done without UN sanction. Geez are you ignorant.

Lack of war? What are you smoking?
Kashmir erupted in war.
Lebanon was decimated by war for 20 years
Cyprus was racked by war between Greece and Turkey.
There was not a single instance of peace keeping. They were all failures. Somalia was supposed to be a peace keeping effort too. Total failure.
But they were able to stop Britain from attacking the Falklands!

Huh?...Oh, yeah...

emily+litella.jpg

The invasion of IRaq was specifically done without UN sanction. Geez are you ignorant.

No shit. What part of "ostensibly" escaped you? Most of us remember the rhetoric of Rice and Cheney and Powell and Booooooooosh. Military action was taken because Saddam represented an 'imminent', so they argued; the U.N. pulled out inspectors when it became apparent booooooosh would soon invade Iraq.
Containment under the U.N. mandate worked, boooooooosh disagreed and nearly 5,000 Anmericans have died, many more are crippled and over a Trillion Doallars and counting later the world is less safe then before booooooooosh acted.

.Containment under the U.N. mandate worked...
Half a million Iraqis starved to death and the oil-for-palaces scam is evidence of "success" of the UN?!?!?!?

Un-be-friggin'-lievable! :rolleyes:

Depends on what the goal of the program was.

If it's goal was to turn Saddam into a hippy greenpeace activist, sticking daisies down gun barrels and turning the nation into human rights paradise, then yah, it failed freaking miserably.

If it's goal was to contain Saddam within current Iraqi borders and to prevent him from acquiring the means to militarily defeat his neighbors in a war of conquest, then it worked pretty darn well.

.Containment under the U.N. mandate worked...
Half a million Iraqis starved to death and the oil-for-palaces scam is evidence of "success" of the UN?!?!?!?

5,000 American dead, many, many more without limbs or vision.
A very proud legacy, one only a chicken hawk would celebrate, huh Dude?
500,000 starved Iraqis, most of them the chiiilllldrreeennn < 5,000 American troops.

Nice math, psycho.

500,000 starved Iraqis, most of them the chiiilllldrreeennn < 5,000 American troops.

Nice math, psycho.

yep,, the damn dumb germans and french were soaking up that oil for food money from saddam and the damn UN didn't do shit about it.

Nice math, psycho.

yep,, the damn dumb germans and french were soaking up that oil for food money from saddam and the damn UN didn't do shit about it.

That's not fair to say the UN did nothing about oil for food. They did plenty, namely soaking up some of the riches for themselves and Kofi's kid.

Hey, the UN prevented a nuclear Iraq. If you listen to the spin.

But yet refuse to do anything of a Nuclear Iran.

Hey, they're talking, right? That means they're doing something. At least according to their apologists.

Nice math, psycho.

That's what the dead Iraqi children deserve for being born there. Maybe they should have been smart and been born on the good team like us...

And if you cannot tell the difference between a democratic country and a non free one, do you have any moral compass at all?

only retards work in black and white. there quite a few versions of "democracy" around the world with different levels of freedom and control of government

Forum List

Back