So... Regarding Gun Laws, What Might Have Prevented The Connecticut Massacre...

I'm listening...

Short of armed employees at the school? Nothing. The weapons were purchased by his mother. No criminal history, no mental defects.

Further there is no evidence that he was mentally ill before the incident, at least not in a manner that would have allowed the cops to arrest and detain him.

It is a tragedy. No new law short of a ban and disarming the American people and closing our borders would have prevented it.

I'm listening...

A law requiring anyone on medication for metal illnesses to be disqualified from owning a handgun or living in a household with registered. Police would have confiscated the guns, and he does not appear to the the type to travel into the hood to get illegal handguns.

Laws giving police more authority when answering disturbance calls and the suspect exhibits erratic behavior and/or symptoms of mental illness (hearing voices, paranoia).

Programs encouraging citizens to be more aware of the symptoms of mental illness and allow them to call social workers out to evaluate someone who seems to be slipping away. If you think your neighbor is beating his kid, one call and the police will be out in 24 hour with a social worker to do an evaluation. Who do you call if you see your neighbor talking to himself on a regular basis?

A law requiring a 48 hour psych hold on anyone refusing to take anti-psychotic meds prescribed by a qualified psychiatrist. Every patient has the right to have 2nd psychiatrist do an evaluation.

Federal guns laws need to broaden the definition of mental defective and allow authorities to act before adjudication or forced commitment.

Federal gun laws need to close the gun show loophole. Without that loophole, Columbine would have never happened.

Brady background check on all sales!!

All private sales are subject to state approval pending a Brady background check. You can sell your guns privately, but you must report the sale. And you may be contacted by authorities if the background check fails.

I'm listening...

A law requiring anyone on medication for metal illnesses to be disqualified from owning a handgun or living in a household with registered. Police would have confiscated the guns, and he does not appear to the the type to travel into the hood to get illegal handguns.

Laws giving police more authority when answering disturbance calls and the suspect exhibits erratic behavior and/or symptoms of mental illness (hearing voices, paranoia).

Programs encouraging citizens to be more aware of the symptoms of mental illness and allow them to call social workers out to evaluate someone who seems to be slipping away. If you think your neighbor is beating his kid, one call and the police will be out in 24 hour with a social worker to do an evaluation. Who do you call if you see your neighbor talking to himself on a regular basis?

A law requiring a 48 hour psych hold on anyone refusing to take anti-psychotic meds prescribed by a qualified psychiatrist. Every patient has the right to have 2nd psychiatrist do an evaluation.

Federal guns laws need to broaden the definition of mental defective and allow authorities to act before adjudication or forced commitment.

Federal gun laws need to close the gun show loophole. Without that loophole, Columbine would have never happened.

All private sales are subject to state approval pending a Brady background check. You can sell your guns privately, but you must report the sale. And you may be contacted by authorities if the background check fails.

This would be a 5th and 14th Amendment civil rights violation, punitive measures can not be taken against a person absent due process.

To do what, exactly? Otherwise this is a possible 4th Amendment civil rights violation.

Again, this is very thin ice from a due process standpoint – guns should be withheld from citizens only after they’ve been adjudicated as mentally ill or committed to a mental institution.

This would clearly be a 5th Amendment civil rights violation.

There is no ‘gun show loophole,’ Federal law allows residents of the same state to sell/buy firearms without a background check.

And how exactly will these background checks be conducted in a private in state sale?

I live amongst many from all over the world. Today they are asking for answers. All that I have to offer is it is the culture. This answer does not make me proud.

I think the better question is what causes people to kill?

And how exactly will these background checks be conducted in a private in state sale?

Most gun owners WANT some kind of background check for private sales.

But what we don't want is a gun registry.

We don't trust the government.

A CNN/ORC International Poll released Wednesday morning indicates that only 15 percent of Americans say they trust the government in Washington to do what's right just about always or most of the time.

CNN Poll: Trust in government at all time low – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

I buy most firearms from private parties, because I obviously know my intentions...but THE GOVERNMENT DOES NOT ALLOW ME ACCESS TO BACKGROUND CHECKS.

If I sell a firearm privately, my only safeguard is selling to to Conceal Carry Holders, because I know that they have had a background check...so those are the only people I sell to.

Give us access to a background check that doesn't register serial numbers and we will use it.

So... Regarding Gun Laws, What Might Have Prevented The Connecticut Massacre...

Nothing. By now it should obvious that gun laws have not, cannot, and never will have a positive effect on criminal behavior. What does it take to convince otherwise sane people that criminals and crazies don't care what the law is?

I'm listening...

If you have a crazy person in the house, your guns must be under lock and key.

That work?

That should be the policy of every gun owner regardless who is in the house.

And I believe most if not all states require firearms to be secured if minor children reside in the home.

Gun owners do bear a comprehensive responsibility with regard to preventing gun violence. The boy who died in Pennsylvania a week or so ago was a victim of his father’s failure to adhere to the basic rules of responsible gun ownership.

Had Nancy Lanza indeed properly secured her firearms, this incident may never have happened.

That should be the policy of every gun owner regardless who is in the house.
Untrue.
How I store my property in my house is none of your or the Government's business.
And I believe most if not all states require firearms to be secured if minor children reside in the home.
I think you're wrong. Any evidence? As a minor child I had my own firearms and ammo from about the age 12-13 and the same has been true of mine. No murders, suicides, or accidents.

Gun owners do bear a comprehensive responsibility with regard to preventing gun violence.
Maybe. But I strongly suspect we would disagree on the definition of "comprehensive"

Had Nancy Lanza indeed properly secured her firearms, this incident may never have happened.
Pure speculation without evidenceAnd she has paid for any mistake she might have made

Last edited:

Forum List

Back