So in a million years, the progeny of this minnow could evolve into...

My goodness, don't you ever use that thing in front of you? All you had to do was type in evolution of pachyderms.

Witness the Slow, Slow Parade of Pachyderm Evolution

Thanks for the link. That was interesting. Do you know if they've done genetic testing on the fossils to confirm the chain of evolution? What would be even more fascinating to see, is the link all the way down to a small organism.

...a fucking elephant, right? Call me crazy, but I would have figured that this minnow's progeny would just make more minnows. Of course, I'm not the scientific genius that many of you are.

mud-minnow-1.jpg

dscf9183.jpg
Maybe a billion years.

Compare a whale to the elephant. Why do whales breath air?

That could be. Is there archaeological evidence of such a relationship?
I don't know. Probably. Look into it.

Alright, let's explore the evolution of the elephant. I found this page as a reference. Let's work with this. Just let me know if you have one that's better.

Elephant Evolution

For starters, it seems a million years is probably not nearly a sufficient time span, based on this site.

They have the "Trilophodon" listed as a predecessor to the modern African elephant.

gomphotherium4.jpg

That looks doable, I guess. If they did genetic testing on the bones of one of these, I wonder how close it is, genetically, to the modern elephant.

Prior to that we have a
Deinotherium

latest

Then a
Platybelodon

mouth-174647a1aab71cfa11f8fc45ab6c7f2e21ef5952-s900-c85.jpg

Mastadons

94701-034-C54CC2BA.jpg

Maybe I've got it backwards. It doesn't matter. What I'd like to see is what it was that came before all these guys. Can anyone show me? Thanks in advance.
Where do you think they came from? Thanks in advance.

See if your hypothesis doesn't hold up to scientific scrutiny you can't use it. You can't tell us you believe God poofed land creatures into existence then mock our scientific evidence of what most likely happened

I haven't mocked anything.

Incidentally, I don't think evolution confirms or rules out a creator. A creator certainly could have chosen to use evolution as a tool to "create" all the various life forms on Earth.

...a fucking elephant, right? Call me crazy, but I would have figured that this minnow's progeny would just make more minnows. Of course, I'm not the scientific genius that many of you are.

mud-minnow-1.jpg

dscf9183.jpg
Maybe a billion years.

Wrong science. Paleontology, and biology are the sciences that answer your questions. Here is a site that can answer many of your questions.

TalkOrigins Archive: Exploring the Creation/Evolution Controversy

Alright, let's explore the evolution of the elephant. I found this page as a reference. Let's work with this. Just let me know if you have one that's better.

Elephant Evolution

For starters, it seems a million years is probably not nearly a sufficient time span, based on this site.

They have the "Trilophodon" listed as a predecessor to the modern African elephant.

gomphotherium4.jpg

That looks doable, I guess. If they did genetic testing on the bones of one of these, I wonder how close it is, genetically, to the modern elephant.

Prior to that we have a
Deinotherium

latest

Then a
Platybelodon

Mastadons

94701-034-C54CC2BA.jpg

Maybe I've got it backwards. It doesn't matter. What I'd like to see is what it was that came before all these guys. Can anyone show me? Thanks in advance.

See if your hypothesis doesn't hold up to scientific scrutiny you can't use it. You can't tell us you believe God poofed land creatures into existence then mock our scientific evidence of what most likely happened

Incidentally, I don't think evolution confirms or rules out a creator. A creator certainly could have chosen to use evolution as a tool to "create" all the various life forms on Earth.
The most prominent of our forefathers in establishing this nation were Diests. They believed in a God, but believed that it has created the universe, and the rules of the universe, and then let the universe and all in it, develop as the rules dictate. There are many scientists that believe in a diety, but also believe what the evidence points out.

That was written by Catherine Faber, a Phd Biologist.

mud-minnow-1.jpg

dscf9183.jpg
Maybe a billion years.

I don't know. Probably. Look into it.

I guess there is.

Killer whales found to have surprising relatives on land - COWS | Daily Mail Online

Elephant Evolution

gomphotherium4.jpg

Prior to that we have a
Deinotherium

latest

Then a
Platybelodon

Mastadons

94701-034-C54CC2BA.jpg

The most prominent of our forefathers in establishing this nation were Diests. They believed in a God, but believed that it has created the universe, and the rules of the universe, and then let the universe and all in it, develop as the rules dictate. There are many scientists that believe in a diety, but also believe what the evidence points out.

Thanks man! I'll check it out!

mud-minnow-1.jpg

dscf9183.jpg
Maybe a billion years.

Wrong science. Paleontology, and biology are the sciences that answer your questions. Here is a site that can answer many of your questions.

TalkOrigins Archive: Exploring the Creation/Evolution Controversy

I'll check that out too.

mud-minnow-1.jpg

dscf9183.jpg
Maybe a billion years.

I bet you don't believe a seed in a womb can become a ten pounds baby in just 9 months.

Elephant Evolution

gomphotherium4.jpg

Prior to that we have a
Deinotherium

latest

Then a
Platybelodon

Mastadons

94701-034-C54CC2BA.jpg

It's ok to believe in a creator as long as you don't tell us it's a fact and it visited you and told you ten rules and is sending us non believers to hell

mud-minnow-1.jpg

dscf9183.jpg
Maybe a billion years.

I bet you don't believe a seed in a womb can become a ten pounds baby in just 9 months.

My question is about changing species. Do questions make you uncomfortable?

Elephant Evolution

gomphotherium4.jpg

Prior to that we have a
Deinotherium

latest

Then a
Platybelodon

Mastadons

94701-034-C54CC2BA.jpg

It's ok to believe in a creator as long as you don't tell us it's a fact and it visited you and told you ten rules and is sending us non believers to hell

Evolution doesn't touch how the universe originated nor how life was created. I know you're an ABG cultist.

Evolution does not even teach how life originated. That is the chemists field. It only teaches how life has changed after abiogenesis, and the causes of those changes. We see from the fossil record the changes over the billions of years, and from the recent advances in studying DNA the causes of those changes.

Evolution does not even teach how life originated. That is the chemists field. It only teaches how life has changed after abiogenesis, and the causes of those changes. We see from the fossil record the changes over the billions of years, and from the recent advances in studying DNA the causes of those changes.

Agreed.

mud-minnow-1.jpg

dscf9183.jpg
Maybe a billion years.

My question is about changing species. Do questions make you uncomfortable?

You started off sounding like a nut job. Ok, here is something you will find interesting

Island giants are aplenty: Komodo has its dragons. Madagascar has its giant hissing cockroach. Until about 1,000 years ago, New Zealand had its colossal bird, the moa. Of dwarves, the world has witnessed everything from foxes, rabbits, and snakes that are smaller than their mainland counterparts, to that ultimate oxymoron, the pygmy mammoth, which once existed in various forms from California's Channel Islands to Wrangel Island in the Siberian Arctic.

Why does this happen? What factors encourage a species to alter its dimensions on islands? What, in short, determines whether a creature will get Brobdingnagian or Lilliputian?

This hippo looks like it wouldn't suffer from a little dwarfing—which is what happens to hippos that reach isolated islands, albeit over lots of time. Madagascar, for one, used to have a pygmy hippo.

Now after we answer all your questions, don't go moving the goal post.

The table reveals some interesting trends. Rodents tend toward gigantism, while carnivores, lagomorphs (rabbits and hares), and artiodactyls (deer, hippos, and other even-toed ungulates) are more likely to become dwarfed. Overall, amongst mammal species that colonize islands, big ones have a tendency to shrink while small ones are apt to enlarge. Biologists have come to call Foster's generalization the "island rule."

While studying evolutionary trends in Australian mammals, Tim Flannery, a research scientist at the Australian Museum, identified something he calls "time dwarfing." Humans are thought to have first colonized the island-continent 40,000 to 60,000 years ago, and Flannery reported that over the past 40,000 years, body sizes of most Australian marsupials have decreased. He hypothesizes that aboriginal people, out to maximize their harvest of meat, probably hunted larger species, and larger individuals within those species. Over time, this would have diminished the fitness of relatively large individuals, Flannery posits, causing dwarfing in surviving species.

It's hard to imagine a lizard larger than the Komodo dragon, currently the world's brawniest at over 300 pounds. But the Komodo was positively dainty compared to an extinct relative on Australia.
image-06-small.jpg

mud-minnow-1.jpg

dscf9183.jpg

Uh, elephants already exist. The minnow has to evolve into something different & a million years is a bit too soon.

Them's the rules

Forum List

Back