So a private citizen can’t pick and choose who they want to live with?

New PC ad.............
Attractive (or ugly) male (or female) seeks same (or not), who enjoys long walks on the beach (or other), romantic evenings (or hostile nightmares), and horse back riding (goats are fine too).
Must be ……. errr ……. i would prefer ……. uhhh …… call me.

Americans with disabilities on line 1.

LOL!

What about "or who doesn't enjoy"

New PC ad.............
Attractive (or ugly) male (or female) seeks same (or not), who enjoys long walks on the beach (or other), romantic evenings (or hostile nightmares), and horse back riding (goats are fine too).
Must be ……. errr ……. i would prefer ……. uhhh …… call me.

Americans with disabilities on line 1.

The real PC ad....

Generic person/animal companion seeks generic person(s)/animal companion(s) for approved activities and/or communications overseen by whichever regulatory authority(ies) claims jurisdiction. Will require signed release fully indemnifying generic person/animal companion.

Last edited:
A civil rights complaint has been filed against a Grand Rapids woman who posted an advertisement at her church last July seeking a Christian roommate.
“The statement “expresses an illegal preference for a Christian roommate, thus excluding people of other faiths,” according to the complaint filed by the Fair Housing Center of West Michigan.
“It’s a violation to make, print or publish a discriminatory statement,” Executive Director Nancy Haynes told Fox News. “There are no exemptions to that.”
Haynes said the unnamed 31-year-old woman’s alleged violation was turned over to the Michigan Department of Civil Rights. Depending on the outcome of her case, the Christian woman could face several hundreds of dollars in fines and “fair housing training so it doesn’t happen again.”
“This is outrageous,” said attorney Joel Oster, with the Alliance Defense Fund. His organization is representing the woman free of charge. “Clearly this woman as a right to pick and choose who she wants to live with.”
Oster said he’s sent a letter to the state asking them to dismiss the case as groundless.
Christians shouldn’t live in fear of being punished by the government for being Christians,” he said. “It is completely absurd to try to penalize a single Christian woman for privately seeking a Christian roommate at church–an obviously legal and constitutionally protected activity,”
But Haynes said they plan on pursuing the matter.
“We want to make sure it doesn’t happen again,” she said.
The person who filed the initial complaint apparently saw the ad on the church bulletin board.
It included the words, “Christian roommate wanted” along with her contact information. Had the ad not included the word “Christian,’ she said it would not have been illegal.
“If you read it and you were not Christian, would you not feel welcome to rent there?” Haynes asked.
Rest here>>>

So in answer to the original post, she can pick and choose just fine. Damsel in distress can't use discriminatory language in an advertisement. Welcome to America. End of discussion.:eusa_whistle:

So in answer to the original post, she can pick and choose just fine. Damsel in distress can't use discriminatory language in an advertisement. Welcome to America. End of discussion.:eusa_whistle:

So what do YOU think is a just remedy in this case?

I mean, besides whining to the moderators of course. :lol:

Whining schmining.. YOU know the rules, cupcake.

Altering the quotes, perhaps. Clearly rules mean nothing to you. That's probably why you find this woman's court-case so objectionable.:eusa_whistle::lol::lol:

What a brave new world it will be.

As opposed to the ideal old world of the 1950's?:lol:
Back we people cultivated discriminating taste?
That could be anytime in history,
discrimination isn't a bad word ,its a survival skill.
pioppino.jpg

deathcap.jpg

There is a difference between a private citizen and a government entity .

What a brave new world it will be.

As opposed to the ideal old world of the 1950's?:lol:
Back we people cultivated discriminating taste?
That could be anytime in history,
discrimination isn't a bad word ,its a survival skill.
pioppino.jpg

deathcap.jpg

There is a difference between a private citizen and a government entity .

There's a difference between the private real and the public realm. She entered the public realm when she made that ad. In the public realm, the government has some say. If she couldn't accept those terms, she shouldn't have posted her ad. Period.:eusa_whistle:

Last edited:
So she can't chose who she wannts to live with?

Government compels her to sublet to anyone?

She can choose, but to be "politically correct", you just can't state in writing who you choose. It's dumb, huh?

It's dumb to you.

Would you like to see in big letters in an ad, "Easy going dudes looking for black room mates only"?
I bet you would feel pretty shitty. You would probably cry up a shitstorm, and make a discrimination case, because that's how the double standard works.

In a civilized society, there are limits to what is socially acceptable to say or do. Any adult with half a brain knows that there are consequences to using free speech irresponsibly. She is more than free to make her ad the way that she did. In this litigious society, she is getting sued for it. That's the American Way ®, so you should all be very happy!

Guess what, you don't go to a cocktail party dressed in mechanics coveralls, chewing tobacco, and making redneck jokes. You don't advertise that you want a room mate who is of your preference. It's not socially acceptable, and it's laughable that you are making this a "political correctness" issue. There's a time and a place for everything, and a classified add is not it.

I just guess, I live in the real world where my shoulders are broader than yours, Ozmar. I don't get my panties in a bunch if someone doesn't want to rent to me...unlike you apparently. I don't need to take it to court, I just move on.
I doubt that I would go to one of those cocktail parties if I couldn't wear my flannel shirt and a pair of Levi's, Ozmar, but if i did, I have Jeff Foxworthy's "You Might Be A Redneck If..." book. It just comes down to taking care of yourself and don't worry about what the other person did, Ozmar. Something I think you would find very difficult to do.
So, YES it is dumb to me and most Americans.

And your mushroom analogy is flawed: The mushroom spores are all part of the one organism in those cases. :cuckoo:

Some are edible other poison if you cant discriminate you will have a hard time staying alive.
Posting a message on a church bulletin board is an act outside the jurisdiction of the law as long as one is not seeking to break the law.
If it is an illegal act ,then something is wrong with the government, it has over reached its boundaries.

She can choose, but to be "politically correct", you just can't state in writing who you choose. It's dumb, huh?

It's dumb to you.

Would you like to see in big letters in an ad, "Easy going dudes looking for black room mates only"?
I bet you would feel pretty shitty. You would probably cry up a shitstorm, and make a discrimination case, because that's how the double standard works.

In a civilized society, there are limits to what is socially acceptable to say or do. Any adult with half a brain knows that there are consequences to using free speech irresponsibly. She is more than free to make her ad the way that she did. In this litigious society, she is getting sued for it. That's the American Way ®, so you should all be very happy!

Guess what, you don't go to a cocktail party dressed in mechanics coveralls, chewing tobacco, and making redneck jokes. You don't advertise that you want a room mate who is of your preference. It's not socially acceptable, and it's laughable that you are making this a "political correctness" issue. There's a time and a place for everything, and a classified add is not it.

I just guess, I live in the real world where my shoulders are broader than yours, Ozmar. I don't get my panties in a bunch if someone doesn't want to rent to me...unlike you apparently.
You really want to go down this route? I don't believe I filed the lawsuit. Apparently someone felt the need. Whatever world you live in is irrelevant. The law is the law.
I don't need to take it to court, I just move on.
Strawman copout.
I doubt that I would go to one of those cocktail parties if I couldn't wear my flannel shirt and a pair of Levi's, Ozmar, but if i did, I have Jeff Foxworthy's "You Might Be A Redneck If..." book.
That's nice.
It just comes down to taking care of yourself and don't worry about what the other person did, Ozmar. Something I think you would find very difficult to do.
Way to try and change what the argument is. Not going to work. I believe the topic of this thread is quite clear.
So, YES it is dumb to me and most Americans.
You speak for most Americans now? I see.:lol:

Last edited:
"Good Christian girl who follows the law, is looking for good room mates she can get along with. If you feel you would be compatible, give me a call."

Implied discrimination good, overt discrimination bad. Please argue semantics some more. Saying "the law says so" is not an argument for the validity of a law.

So then you agree no discrimination, implicit or explicit is the best remedy? In that case you would realize this whole thread is bogus! Glad you're on board. :)

No, I'm pointing out the duplicity in your statements. You know that but don't want to admit your faulty logic. As I've said, semantics is your horse in this race so please continue to twist my words to whatever ends you want.

Forum List

Back