So a private citizen can’t pick and choose who they want to live with?

And your mushroom analogy is flawed: The mushroom spores are all part of the one organism in those cases. :cuckoo:

Some are edible other poison if you cant discriminate you will have a hard time staying alive.
Indeed. Are you saying that posting religious preferences on an add will deter all possible incompatible roommates?
Posting a message on a church bulletin board is an act outside the jurisdiction of the law as long as one is not seeking to break the law.
If it is an illegal act ,then something is wrong with the government, it has over reached its boundaries.
So write your congressman and stop bitching about it.

It's dumb to you.

Would you like to see in big letters in an ad, "Easy going dudes looking for black room mates only"?
I bet you would feel pretty shitty. You would probably cry up a shitstorm, and make a discrimination case, because that's how the double standard works.

In a civilized society, there are limits to what is socially acceptable to say or do. Any adult with half a brain knows that there are consequences to using free speech irresponsibly. She is more than free to make her ad the way that she did. In this litigious society, she is getting sued for it. That's the American Way ®, so you should all be very happy!

Guess what, you don't go to a cocktail party dressed in mechanics coveralls, chewing tobacco, and making redneck jokes. You don't advertise that you want a room mate who is of your preference. It's not socially acceptable, and it's laughable that you are making this a "political correctness" issue. There's a time and a place for everything, and a classified add is not it.

I just guess, I live in the real world where my shoulders are broader than yours, Ozmar. I don't get my panties in a bunch if someone doesn't want to rent to me...unlike you apparently.
You really want to go down this route? I don't believe I filed the lawsuit. Apparently someone felt the need. Whatever world you live in is irrelevant. The law is the law. Strawman copout. That's nice.
It just comes down to taking care of yourself and don't worry about what the other person did, Ozmar. Something I think you would find very difficult to do.
Way to try and change what the argument is. Not going to work. I believe the topic of this thread is quite clear.
So, YES it is dumb to me and most Americans.
You speak for most Americans now? I see.:lol:

Now your just showing your ignorance, sonny. :eusa_whistle:

I just guess, I live in the real world where my shoulders are broader than yours, Ozmar. I don't get my panties in a bunch if someone doesn't want to rent to me...unlike you apparently.
You really want to go down this route? I don't believe I filed the lawsuit. Apparently someone felt the need. Whatever world you live in is irrelevant. The law is the law. Strawman copout. That's nice. Way to try and change what the argument is. Not going to work. I believe the topic of this thread is quite clear.
So, YES it is dumb to me and most Americans.
You speak for most Americans now? I see.:lol:

Now your just showing your ignorance, sonny. :eusa_whistle:

I respect that you have an opinion, even though it is misguided. Nice way to pounce in on this, though. Don't you love living in a country that has rule of law, and free speech?:clap2:

And your mushroom analogy is flawed: The mushroom spores are all part of the one organism in those cases. :cuckoo:

Some are edible other poison if you cant discriminate you will have a hard time staying alive.
Indeed. Are you saying that posting religious preferences on an add will deter all possible incompatible roommates?
Posting a message on a church bulletin board is an act outside the jurisdiction of the law as long as one is not seeking to break the law.
If it is an illegal act ,then something is wrong with the government, it has over reached its boundaries.

An Ad will narrow the field to some extent .
I not bitching ,Im exploring the depth of your victimology .

There is no victimology. The only point at which victims were created was when she used discriminatory language. If she didn't like the law, she should have written her congressman. This is just political grandstanding ultimately. I can't believe the seething ignorance of your lot that you would side with this idiocy...:lol:

A civil rights complaint has been filed against a Grand Rapids woman who posted an advertisement at her church last July seeking a Christian roommate.
“The statement “expresses an illegal preference for a Christian roommate, thus excluding people of other faiths,” according to the complaint filed by the Fair Housing Center of West Michigan.
“It’s a violation to make, print or publish a discriminatory statement,” Executive Director Nancy Haynes told Fox News. “There are no exemptions to that.”
Haynes said the unnamed 31-year-old woman’s alleged violation was turned over to the Michigan Department of Civil Rights. Depending on the outcome of her case, the Christian woman could face several hundreds of dollars in fines and “fair housing training so it doesn’t happen again.”
“This is outrageous,” said attorney Joel Oster, with the Alliance Defense Fund. His organization is representing the woman free of charge. “Clearly this woman as a right to pick and choose who she wants to live with.”
Oster said he’s sent a letter to the state asking them to dismiss the case as groundless.
Christians shouldn’t live in fear of being punished by the government for being Christians,” he said. “It is completely absurd to try to penalize a single Christian woman for privately seeking a Christian roommate at church–an obviously legal and constitutionally protected activity,”
But Haynes said they plan on pursuing the matter.
“We want to make sure it doesn’t happen again,” she said.
The person who filed the initial complaint apparently saw the ad on the church bulletin board.
It included the words, “Christian roommate wanted” along with her contact information. Had the ad not included the word “Christian,’ she said it would not have been illegal.
“If you read it and you were not Christian, would you not feel welcome to rent there?” Haynes asked.
Rest here>>>

so non-christians are trolling churches to scan the bulletin board.....

are christian pot luck picnics now illeagal.....

if i get a muslim roomate can i make bacon and eggs....or would that be insenstive....

oh yea...can i post how much the rent would be....wouldn't want to discriminate against those that can't afford to pay rent....

Last edited:

There is no victimology. The only point at which victims were created was when she used discriminatory language. If she didn't like the law, she should have written her congressman. This is just political grandstanding ultimately. I can't believe the seething ignorance of your lot that you would side with this idiocy...:lol:

I think most on here, and most in America would be wondering about your idiocy on this, Ozmar.

I think most on here, and most in America would be wondering about your idiocy on this, Ozmar.

Your opinion is a valid one for those who care about it in this matter. Unfortunately, not even you can speculated as to the sentiments of everyone.. But thank you kindly for your contribution. This is America, land of the free, home of the brave. God bless it. :):party:

A civil rights complaint has been filed against a Grand Rapids woman who posted an advertisement at her church last July seeking a Christian roommate.
“The statement “expresses an illegal preference for a Christian roommate, thus excluding people of other faiths,” according to the complaint filed by the Fair Housing Center of West Michigan.
“It’s a violation to make, print or publish a discriminatory statement,” Executive Director Nancy Haynes told Fox News. “There are no exemptions to that.”
Haynes said the unnamed 31-year-old woman’s alleged violation was turned over to the Michigan Department of Civil Rights. Depending on the outcome of her case, the Christian woman could face several hundreds of dollars in fines and “fair housing training so it doesn’t happen again.”
“This is outrageous,” said attorney Joel Oster, with the Alliance Defense Fund. His organization is representing the woman free of charge. “Clearly this woman as a right to pick and choose who she wants to live with.”
Oster said he’s sent a letter to the state asking them to dismiss the case as groundless.
Christians shouldn’t live in fear of being punished by the government for being Christians,” he said. “It is completely absurd to try to penalize a single Christian woman for privately seeking a Christian roommate at church–an obviously legal and constitutionally protected activity,”
The person who filed the initial complaint apparently saw the ad on the church bulletin board.
It included the words, “Christian roommate wanted” along with her contact information. Had the ad not included the word “Christian,’ she said it would not have been illegal.
“If you read it and you were not Christian, would you not feel welcome to rent there?” Haynes asked.
Rest here>>>

And then these evil assholes wonder why we don't all vote for them.

Ain't that the truth!

If I put up a sign that says "Female roommate wanted", am I to be sued for discriminating against men?

Ain't that the truth!

If I put up a sign that says "Female roommate wanted", am I to be sued for discriminating against men?

nope...men aren't a protected class.....

Rest here>>>

That's the spirit! That's where your anger should be directed: Elected officials!

Ain't that the truth!

I'm no lawyer, but maybe you should test the waters...:lol:

Rest here>>>

That's the spirit! That's where your anger should be directed: Elected officials!

ya...why blame the people in charge....that we there the entire time and did nothing...and now pretend like they weren't there.....

I always side with more liberty and personal freedom and against government overreaching bureaucracy.

Considering that this was a private citizen looking for a roommate, and not a business that interacts with the public, I predict it gets tossed out of court, and rightly so.

I have less sympathy for the Just Cookies douchenozzle who didn't want to take an order from a lezbo because he has two impressionable daughters.

Rest here>>>

The PC police are out of control in this country.

She as every right to do what she did.

nope...men aren't a protected class.....

I thought they were, and that that was the basis on judicial rulings allowing gay marriage (i.e. sexual discrimination).

I do find it strange though that discrimination by private citizens looking for roomates (as opposed to a company hiring people) is not allowed. Discrimination is thought of as a bad word, but in general it isn't. There are plenty of acceptable types of discrimination that goes on in real life, like when people discriminate on which type of restaurant to eat at. (I don't like Japanese food, for example, as I don't care for the taste of their food.)

I didn't think private citizens were held to the same standards as companies when it comes to these things, especially when it comes to something so personal as whom you choose to be your roomate. Surely you can choose a nonobese, nonsmoking female, if that's your preference, can't you? I understand companies will have trouble putting that into their hiring ads, but roomate ads? Really?

Forum List

Back