So a private citizen can’t pick and choose who they want to live with?

This has NOTHING to do with Political Correctness.

The laws of this country and the caselaw that surrounds them have established that there are certain protected classes...sex, race, age, religion..etc. The laws that protect those classes are judged constitutional or unconstitutional based on 3 sets of scrutiny. Some are judged strictly...others not as strictly.

The point is that, private or public, discrimination is against the law. For similar reasons, a private restaurant can't refuse to serve blacks/asians/hispanics...a renter can't discriminate based on religion.

Holy hell. The people crying PC PC PC!! are the same ones that would curse bloody murder if Muslims failed to serve non-Muslims or people who didn't follow sharia.

Get over yourselves. This is the law across the country...and someone YOU voted for...or your grandparents voted for put it in place.

How about singles ads that specifically lay out the physical attributes and sexual orientation sought in would-be answerers to the ad? These ads are all over the place. Are millions of Americans in violation of the law for placing those ads?

The point is that, private or public, discrimination is against the law.

I'm pretty sure this is a false statement.

But I'd be happy to eat crow if you can produce a statute from which a reasonable person would conclude that it's illegal for a private citizen to discriminate when selecting a suitable roommate.

But I'd be happy to eat crow if you can produce a statute from which a reasonable person would conclude that it's illegal for a private citizen to discriminate when selecting a suitable roommate.

He can't because so such statute exists.

A private citizen has every right to pick and choose who they want to live with.

How about singles ads that specifically lay out the physical attributes and sexual orientation sought in would-be answerers to the ad? These ads are all over the place. Are millions of Americans in violation of the law for placing those ads?

hmmmm, you could be on to something here.

I think I'll lawyer up and file lawsuits against everyone that posts a personal ad specifying something that I'm not. What? you're looking for a sensitive guy who likes to talk? Sorry honey, that's discriminatory, offensive, and now I'm gonna have to take your money. :)

A private citizen has every right to pick and choose who they want to live with.

I agree.

However, it does become a little bit more complicated if she's the owner of the property and would be her roommate's landlord. I still say she should be allowed, but it could be argued that technically she is acting as the landlord in seeking a tenant and therefore the whole private citizen argument get's tossed.

So she can't chose who she wannts to live with?

Government compels her to sublet to anyone?
It apparently has come to that and it is a goddam shame.

While the more reasonable minorities legitimately seek essential equality via the civil rights laws this kind of oppressive nonsense is counterproductive to that purpose, because it tends to alienate people who ordinarily are sympathetic to legitimate discrimination complaints. In the end it is the minorities who will suffer as the result of such arrogant provocation.

If I were looking for a roommate I would specify certain preferences, law or no law. If I am forced by economic circumstances to share my living space with some stranger I want that person to have as much in common with me as possible.

If that is considered illegal discrimination then it's time to take a closer look at the civil right laws -- and I'm sure I'm not alone in that response.

Last edited:

I agree.

However, it does become a little bit more complicated if she's the owner of the property and would be her roommate's landlord. I still say she should be allowed, but it could be argued that technically she is acting as the landlord in seeking a tenant and therefore the whole private citizen argument get's tossed.

Well by that logic anyone one who seeks a roommate in this country would be forced to Accept anyone that applied or risk being attacked for Violating someones rights.

Sorry not a word I want to live in. This country is out of control with this shit.

Would it be discriminatory if I put out an ad that said "Roommate wanted. Only homeless people will be considered."

I agree.

Well by that logic anyone one who seeks a roommate in this country would be forced to Accept anyone that applied or risk being attacked for Violating someones rights.

Sorry not a word I want to live in. This country is out of control with this shit.

Buck up there gloomy gus, it's not really THAT bad.

Anti-discrimination laws really haven't done jack shit to actually reduce discrimination. They've simply forced people to be deceitful and a bit more creative about it. As the saying goes, necessity is the mother of invention.

It's not a false statement...which is why you'll see ads on the television (I've seen them) and hear ads on the radio...reminding people you can't.

There's one where you see someone (can't see face or race) at first calling sounding like an indian guy...then a black girl...then a hispanic guy...about a room for rent. The person gets turned down every time.

Then he changes to a male with a southern accent...and they rent him the room.

Yeah, private citizens can't discriminate based on protected classes. Equal protection applies to everyone.

I'm wondering how many enraged people in this thread have actually BEEN to law school. You can call that a dick comment if you want...but I dont mean to say lawyers are better people...simply that they know more about the subject they went to school for. (If we're going with non-PC, common sense and all).

You can however discriminate based on non-protected classes (if there's no law about it that is)...so if you're ugly...i can discriminate :)

I'll see what I can dig up for the law on that.

Ain't that the truth!

If I put up a sign that says "Female roommate wanted", am I to be sued for discriminating against men?

nope...men aren't a protected class.....
Actually they are, unless you're trying to tell me men are genderless. :eusa_whistle:

According to feminists, we're mutants. The Y chromosome is a mutation you see, and men will eventually go extinct.:lol:

On Lesbian Separatism - Women, wimmin, womyn, womin, whippets by Julie McRossin

It's not a false statement...which is why you'll see ads on the television (I've seen them) and hear ads on the radio...reminding people you can't.

There's one where you see someone (can't see face or race) at first calling sounding like an indian guy...then a black girl...then a hispanic guy...about a room for rent. The person gets turned down every time.

Yeah, private citizens can't discriminate based on protected classes. Equal protection applies to everyone.

I'm wondering how many enraged people in this thread have actually BEEN to law school. You can call that a dick comment if you want...but I dont mean to say lawyers are better people...simply that they know more about the subject they went to school for. (If we're going with non-PC, common sense and all).

You can however discriminate based on non-protected classes (if there's no law about it that is)...so if you're ugly...i can discriminate :)

I'll see what I can dig up for the law on that.
The basic argument here is that civil liberties trump rule of law. That's why all these people are up in arms.:eusa_whistle:

Here you go again...

The federal Fair Housing Act and the Fair Housing Amendment Acts (42 U.S. Code §§ 3601-3619, 3631) and many state and local laws, prohibit a landlord from selecting tenants based on certain criteria. A landlord may not refuse to rent to a tenant for the following reasons:

* Race or color
* National origin
* Religion
* Disability or handicap, including physical and mental impairment
* Sex, including sexual harassment
* Familial status (includes protection for people with children under age 18 or pregnant women)

Housing Discrimination: FAQs - Real Estate

Had enough?

I've seen those ads. And the clear implication is that it's a landlord looking to fill a vacancy.

Again, please point me to a statute that suggests a private citizen, looking for a roommate (as opposed to a tenant), cannot discriminate against a protected class.

A civil rights complaint has been filed against a Grand Rapids woman who posted an advertisement at her church last July seeking a Christian roommate.
“The statement “expresses an illegal preference for a Christian roommate, thus excluding people of other faiths,” according to the complaint filed by the Fair Housing Center of West Michigan.
“It’s a violation to make, print or publish a discriminatory statement,” Executive Director Nancy Haynes told Fox News. “There are no exemptions to that.”
Haynes said the unnamed 31-year-old woman’s alleged violation was turned over to the Michigan Department of Civil Rights. Depending on the outcome of her case, the Christian woman could face several hundreds of dollars in fines and “fair housing training so it doesn’t happen again.”
“This is outrageous,” said attorney Joel Oster, with the Alliance Defense Fund. His organization is representing the woman free of charge. “Clearly this woman as a right to pick and choose who she wants to live with.”
Oster said he’s sent a letter to the state asking them to dismiss the case as groundless.
Christians shouldn’t live in fear of being punished by the government for being Christians,” he said. “It is completely absurd to try to penalize a single Christian woman for privately seeking a Christian roommate at church–an obviously legal and constitutionally protected activity,”
But Haynes said they plan on pursuing the matter.
“We want to make sure it doesn’t happen again,” she said.
The person who filed the initial complaint apparently saw the ad on the church bulletin board.
It included the words, “Christian roommate wanted” along with her contact information. Had the ad not included the word “Christian,’ she said it would not have been illegal.
“If you read it and you were not Christian, would you not feel welcome to rent there?” Haynes asked.
Rest here>>>

Why did she have to specify that she wants a Christian roommate in an ad that she placed in her Church?

What she needs to do is ferret out who in her Church bitched about it.

Anyone renting for any reason is subject to the law.

The federal Fair Housing Act and the Fair Housing Amendment Acts (42 U.S. Code §§ 3601-3619, 3631)

Enjoy.

Forum List

Back