Slavery/Racism: Some Questions

Fuck Dr. King's dream. How'd that work for him?
He's infinitely more respected than you are. He's secured a place in history.

You will live on in a Google cache only. You're one server farm power failure away from eternal anonymity.

Barack Obama is "infinitely more respected than me. He's secured a place in history", does that make him great?
I wouldn't put him in the same category as Dr. King, but Obama's definitely more respected than you are.
Nah, I have kids and grandkids. I will live until the end of time.
Eventually, the human race will be sufficiently homogenized that racism will be impossible. I know that thought horrifies racists like you.

So, yes, your legacy will die.

I guess you didn't take to the color-bind society. "his fellow blacks"?
Dr. King fought for civil rights for black Americans. You shit on his accomplishments.

I see people as people. You see only skin color.

I shit on a false belief in a color-blind society, as does every single black civil rights activist who worked with Dr. King, Lowery, Abernathy, Shuttlesworth, Lewis, etc.
Oh, you mean all the ones who have gotten rich and powerful off race-baiting?

They're shitting on Dr. King's legacy, too.

How Mr Obama's family, Salt Jones' family or your family raised their children is beyond my control.
You didn't address my point, but I addressed your pointless.

Your point is easy to make when you were raised in a society that allowed you to go to any school that you wanted, allowed you to stay at any hotel or eat at any restaurant. It is easy for you when you never were told that you were dirty or not worthy of socializing with the white upper class

Those who were raised in such an environment can rightfully be proud that someone of their race was elected President. For you to call them racist for being proud shows how callous you really are

Pu-leeeeeezze!
I don't know if I can stomach another of your "Look what an exceptional person I am" posts.

For the truth, see post #57.

You know I don't read your posts when you copy and paste off of rightwing propaganda sites. If you want to make a point, make it yourself

Slavery was practiced in the original Spanish colonies in North America dating back to 1560. It was a legal institution on the American continents dating more than a century before 1776. In the USA it ended 147 years ago when the 13th Amendment was ratified though most of the slaves had already been freed for years prior to that date. How far back does history have to go before those who had ?nothing to do with it are no longer expected to apologize for it or pay for it today? And who do we apologize to? (See the excerpt quoted below.)

These days racism is big business both for black leaders and for black and white politicians. It is right at the top of the list of the propaganda that keeps the money and votes flowing to those who capitalize on keeping it alive. Otherwise we would be a mostly color blind nation by now and the poorer black people among us would be infinitely better off.

Walter Williams has long acknowledged that as unconscionable, horrible, and unjustifiable slavery is wherever it exists, he himself has very much benefitted because somebody dragged his multi-great grandfather and/or grandmother over here at some point. Because that happened, he was born a free man in a country that has provided unlimited opportunity to him. He has been able to enjoy a pleasant life, earn a PhD, earn a living, all of which likely would not have been the case if all his ancesters had been left in Africa. And this is a testimony from a man who grew up under segregation.

And as for reparations due any black person on the continent due to slavery, he considers that absurd.

From an essay he wrote back when that was still being pushed in Congress in July, 2000:

First off, let me say that I agree with reparations advocates that slavery was a horrible, despicable violation of basic human rights. I'd also agree that were it possible slave owners should make reparations to those whom they enslaved. The problem, of course, is both slaves as well as their owners are all dead. Thus, punishing perpetrators and compensating victims is out of the hands of the living. Reparations advocates, however, want today's blacks to be compensated for the suffering of our ancestors.

If we acknowledge that government has no resources of its very own, and that to give one American a dollar government must first confiscate it from some other American, we might ask what moral principle justifies forcing a white of today to pay a black of today for what a white of yesteryear did to a black of yesteryear? We might also recognize that a large percentage of today's Americans, be they of European, Asian, African or Latin ancestry, don't even go back three or four generations. Are they to be held accountable and taxed for slavery and why?

Then there's the fact that white slave owners aren't the only villains in the piece. In Africa, Moslems dominated the slave trade in the 18th and 19th centuries. Africans also engaged in slave trade with Europeans. In fact, there was plantation slavery in some parts of Africa such as the Sudan, Zanzibar and Egypt. Thus, a natural question arises: Do reparations advocates hold those who sold blacks into slavery subject to reparations payments? After all slavery, of the scale seen in the western hemisphere, would have been all but impossible without the help of Africans and Arabs. Incidentally, President Clinton apologizing for slavery in Africa, of all places, is stupid - apologizing to descendants of slave traders for slavery in America.

Though it's not politically correct to say, today's blacks benefitted immensely from the horrors suffered by our ancestors. You say, "What do you mean, Williams? Would you run that by us?"

Most black Americans are in the solid middle class. In fact, if we totaled the income black Americans earned each year, and thought of ourselves as a separate nation, we'd be the 14th or 15th richest nation. Even the 34 percent of blacks considered to be poor are fairly well off by world standards. Had there not been slavery, and today's blacks were born in Africa instead of the U.S., we'd be living in the same poverty that today's Africans live in and under the same brutal regimes.

If reparations were to be made, then what? Would reparations payments accomplish what the six trillion dollars spent since 1965 on the War on Poverty didn't? Let's face the fact that there's not one thing anyone can do to change the past. There's a lot we can do about the future. Dwelling on the past comes at the expense of preparing for the future.

Reparations for Slavery

Last edited:
Your point is easy to make when you were raised in a society that allowed you to go to any school that you wanted, allowed you to stay at any hotel or eat at any restaurant. It is easy for you when you never were told that you were dirty or not worthy of socializing with the white upper class

Those who were raised in such an environment can rightfully be proud that someone of their race was elected President. For you to call them racist for being proud shows how callous you really are

Pu-leeeeeezze!
I don't know if I can stomach another of your "Look what an exceptional person I am" posts.

You know I don't read your posts when you copy and paste off of rightwing propaganda sites. If you want to make a point, make it yourself

1. You do read my posts.

2. You CLAIM you don't read 'em, 'cause they're dispositive, and you have no answers to 'em...

I was raised to crush anyone that stood in my way of achieving my goals and I raised my kids that way.

Set your goals, work for your goals, rely on yourself and don't let anyone tell you can't achieve what you set your mind to.

Overall, sounds a lot more conservative than liberal...
...stop being blinded by skin color, Faulty.

No, it sounds like being raised by black liberal, lifelong NAACP, gun owning, segregated school attending descendants of slaves. I would never dishonor my parents or any of my ancestors by voting for a conservative.

P.S. I voted for Micheal Steele, but he's not conservative.

Sometimes one is trapped in a web of their own creation....

...you sound like you have the potential to grow: we'll wait for you.

Pu-leeeeeezze!

1. You do read my posts.

2. You CLAIM you don't read 'em, 'cause they're dispositive, and you have no answers to 'em...

No, actually they tend to be tedious and have proven to be not worth the effort

I'm glad Obama won, because the first president my 5 year old grandson ever recognized and is able to name is a black man. .

??????????????????

He never saw a picture of Washington or Lincoln?

??????????????????

Some of us really don't care that he is half-white (not black), We don't choose presidents based upon the color of their skin nor choose to admire or not admire somebody based upon the melanin content in their skin.
It sounds as if you would think differently about him if he were an albino.
Looks like Dr. King's dream is nowhere near fruition. It keeps getting sabotaged by his fellow blacks.

Fuck Dr. King's dream. How'd that work for him?

You're a fucking scumbag. Even Malcolm got the idea eventually.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The biggest mistake this country has ever made was bring slaves into the country. The second biggest mistake was to not load them all up on a ship and return them to Africa once they were freed.
While this proposed solution to the slavery issue will appeal to many Americans I'm sure it will offend many others. But if the proposal to return the slaves to Africa were modified by providing every returned slave with a monetary settlement sufficient to ensure a comfortable and happy life in his/her native land, i.e. a de facto reparation, would that make the proposal more acceptable to those originally opposed to it?

Some slaves did return to Africa, Liberia.... Others were offered or given "reparations" of 40 acres and a mule. Many turned it down because it was not "prime" land (they wanted the plantation lands).

The bigger issue is not whether we should "apologize" for slavery but have we learned from our racist past?

All around us are examples where we have moved away from our racial animosity towards blacks and settled on new targets........Mexicans, gays and Muslims

No, we have not learned to judge people by character. We uphold the most repulsive, immoral people (Clinton, Micheal Vick, Charlie Sheen, etc) and try to humiliate the people that are "trying" to live morally (Christians); it is perfectly acceptable to mock and humiliate those that believe in morals. Yet the immoral and corrupt are held up as heroes; it is just sad.

The bigger issue is not whether we should "apologize" for slavery but have we learned from our racist past?

All around us are examples where we have moved away from our racial animosity towards blacks and settled on new targets........Mexicans, gays and Muslims

That would be a good point if it weren't COMPLETELY WRONG.

Republicans have already lost the black and gay vote FOREVER

Now they are working on losing the Hispanic and Muslim vote

Wow! Talk about stereotyping! Are you saying that blacks and gays are not intelligent enough to see the democrats are giving them "fun island" (they all end up a bunch of asses shipped off to the mines)? Or are you saying that blacks and gays can't see that equality under the law is "fair", and that gov't selective enforcement of the law (see Eric Holder's work) is "unfair"?

That would be a good point if it weren't COMPLETELY WRONG.

Wow! Talk about stereotyping! Are you saying that blacks and gays are not intelligent enough to see the democrats are giving them "fun island" (they all end up a bunch of asses shipped off to the mines)? Or are you saying that blacks and gays can't see that equality under the law is "fair", and that gov't selective enforcement of the law (see Eric Holder's work) is "unfair"?

No, actually blacks and gays are intelligent enough to see that the republicans are using them as scapegoats to appeal to the extremist wing of the conservative movement.

I was raised to crush anyone that stood in my way of achieving my goals and I raised my kids that way.

Set your goals, work for your goals, rely on yourself and don't let anyone tell you can't achieve what you set your mind to.

I was raised to work collaboratively with others to achieve my goals, not to crush them, yet at the same time, to rely upon myself. I raised my children the same way. so far, they are happy and successful.

As are my kid's.

P.S. Fuck others. When push comes to shove, your own actions determine your fate.

Ahhh! The Liberal's golden rule!

No, actually blacks and gays are intelligent enough to see that the republicans are using them as scapegoats to appeal to the extremist wing of the conservative movement.

Links, evidence?

How true...

Making people suffer is the only way to get them out of poverty

And there spells the problem with a liberal-progressive mind.
You only think in absolutes.
If you have a problem with the poor getting free stuff - then you hate poor people and want them to die.
For Christ sake - look at Sallow's comment - same thing. I disagree - and I am to be compared to the Russian Czars, Mao and French aristocracy. :cuckoo:
Just symptomatic of the left's black-and-white binary thinking. You know, what they accuse the right of. :lol:

Not "binary" at all. All through history you have examples of wealth skewing upwards and the results. Societies that work to accomodate the wealthy, generally have bad outcomes.

Links, evidence?

Evidence?

How about that 95% of blacks and 100% of gays don't vote Republican

Based on some recent posts, racism and the battle against same, is the central thesis for many of our progressive colleagues. Some, it seems, found the actions of Chris Rock acceptable based on his race....and some imagined racism, and/or legacy of slavery....

1. Liberals love the idea of the “apology,” that the government should apologize for slavery, Japanese internment, you name it.

2. The Rabbis teach that no apology is legitimate unless the offender:

a. Expresses remorse stating specifically what he has done
b. Makes restitution
c. Refrains, in similar circumstances, from committing the offense again.

3. Based on the first of these, a governmental apology founders, without specifics as to who the “we” is, and who the “they” of the apology are.

4. Take the question of slavery vis-à-vis the American Government of today. Is it guilty of slavery?

a. If so, are those African American members of government equally guilty?

b. Are the American people alive today guilty?

c. If so, which ones? The black as well as the white?

d. Is the guilt heritable…for if it is, then would not those (the great majority of) Americans whose ancestors did not arrive until after slavery be exempt from apology?

e. How about the ancestors of the 300,000 white males who died to defeat slavery? Exempt as well? And the whites who voted for the 14th amendment and the Civil Rights Act?

f. And if not, on what basis are the descendants of slaves entitled to it?

5. Is it not absurd that six or seven decades after the West defeated Nazi Racism we are still considering making government decisions based on genetics?

6. To indulge in any racial preferences is not to award to a race, but, rather, to the state, the power to created different classes of citizens, and to rule on who shall belong to each class. This does not serve any desire for justice.

From chapter 12 of “The Secret Knowledge,” David Mamet.

Nice source, an iconoclast and curmudgeon offers that which you and others on the right want to hear. Having the the ability to write an "ain't it awful" book isn't very difficult; very few are capable of putting rational solutions to problems in print - it's so much easier to emote. Isn't it PC?

Forum List

Back