SJWs Attack Tiny House Movement for Poverty Appropriation

Wat? I thought SJWs were the same idiot dirty hippie types that would like to buy a tiny house and plant it in someone's back yard.

I am confuzzled now. :eusa_shifty:

PS: Eating cheap may enable one to acquire wealth.

My friend and me were talking about going to Colorado and opening a restaurant.

One that serves Southern breakfasts and lunches.
Forget the grits!

Wat? I thought SJWs were the same idiot dirty hippie types that would like to buy a tiny house and plant it in someone's back yard.

Forget the grits!
WHAT!?

No grits.

You don't know what you're missing.

I currently have about 8 lbs of grits. :badgrin:

Maybe he just never had anybody cook 'um right.
There is no right way to cook grits. There is no right way to serve grits. There is nothing "right" about grits in any way, shape, or form.
I love grits the way they make them down South with lots of cream and butter. LOL I guess anything's good with plenty of cream and butter!

Grits can be cooked with cream. :D

Yeah, I kid you not.

As if we needed more evidence that SJWs were total wack jobs anyway.

SJW Turns Against Tiny House Movement as 'Poverty Appropriation'

This background, this essential part of who I am, makes it particularly difficult to stomach the latest trend in “simple” living  -- people moving into tiny homes and trailers. How many folks, I wonder, who have engaged in the Tiny House Movement have ever actually lived in a tiny, mobile place? Because what those who can afford homes call “living light,” poor folks call “gratitude for what we’ve got.”

And it’s not just the Tiny House Movement that incites my discontent. From dumpster diving to trailer-themed bars to haute cuisine in the form of poor-household staples, it’s become trendy for those with money to appropriate the poverty lifestyle  -- and it troubles me for one simple reason. Choice.

[...]

It’s likely, from where I sit, that this back-to-nature and boxed-up simplicity is not being marketed to people like me, who come from simplicity and heightened knowledge of poverty, but to people who have not wanted for creature comforts. For them to try on, glamorize, identify with.

Such appropriation isn’t limited to the Tiny House trend, or even to the idea of simplicity. In major cities, people who come from high-income backgrounds flock to bars and restaurants that both appropriate, and mock, low-income communities. Perhaps the most egregious example is San Francisco’s Butter Bar, a trendy outpost that prides itself on being a true-blue, trailer park-themed bar, serving up the best in “trashy” cuisine and cocktails.​

I've seen the tiny houses show on HGTV! I'm still trying to figure out what the author is upset about. I wouldn't want to live in one of those tiny houses, but if someone else does, then why would that bother anyone? Damn, people are so screwy.

Hey Chrissy, I'd advise not spending too much time trying to figure it out. It will only confuse and frustrate you, since by in large, you seem to be reasonable and rationale. Those folks aren't. See the problem?
Yeah, I see the problem as long as you are leaving ME out of THOSE FOLKS, lol.

Damn whippersnappers! :D
Every present generation has been justifiably able to say that about the previous generation.

But it is all for the good, if we keep our sense of humor about it!

There's a bit of a difference here, with all the phone and computer use, the children's minds are not being developed properly.

Take away that phone and they may not be able to survive.

When it comes to human evolution, I think it is erroneous to consider it without the many tools that we have made for ourselves, each one being in effect a step further in human evolution, especially cultural changes.

For example, modern humans and Neanderthals domesticated dogs and horses, many believe. That made them able to dominate and replace earlier human beings.

As we drill down and look at one modern human society/tribe vrs another these innovations allowed for new tribes to dominate and then displace other tribes. Look at the introduction of the horse to plains Amerindian tribes and how it over turned their previous dominance. The Lakhotas reigned over their friends and the Cherokee created themselves an empire.

Our tools that allow us to defend ourselves, turn waste products into resources, move mountains and build wonders have now evolved into letting us talk to each other in a mere microsecond and allows our bosses at work and our wives from home to call us at any time, any location.

Destroy them all before they take us over completely!

:ack-1:

When it comes to human evolution, I think it is erroneous to consider it without the many tools that we have made for ourselves, each one being in effect a step further in human evolution, especially cultural changes.

For example, modern humans and Neanderthals domesticated dogs and horses, many believe. That made them able to dominate and replace earlier human beings.

As we drill down and look at one modern human society/tribe vrs another these innovations allowed for new tribes to dominate and then displace other tribes. Look at the introduction of the horse to plains Amerindian tribes and how it over turned their previous dominance. The Lakhotas reigned over their friends and the Cherokee created themselves an empire.

Our tools that allow us to defend ourselves, turn waste products into resources, move mountains and build wonders have now evolved into letting us talk to each other in a mere microsecond and allows our bosses at work and our wives from home to call us at any time, any location.

Destroy them all before they take us over completely!

:ack-1:

full-cast-of-terminator-3-rise-of-the-machines-actors-and-actresses-u4.jpg

That means you have that gross DC/ MD accent.
Pitcher bain soot owen. We're goon danny ayshun to Ayshun City.
( Put your bathing suit on. We're going down to the ocean to Ocean City.)
I thought that was the accent of those in Baltimore or Balmer as it's pronounced.

It's close enough to say and think that if you aren't from the Mid-Atlantic region.

I have to admit, I think accent's are pretty cool, even the ones I don't like are still cool. I don't know where the guy who wrote "ayshun" is from. I do know that the way I and other locals would pronounce "ayshun" doesn't come out sounding the way we/they say "ocean." Where that member is from, that phonetic spelling probably does reflect the way to depict what Marylanders sound like.

The first time I looked at his emboldened sentence, I thought, "WTF? That "sounds" like Middle English, not Delmarva." It took me a few times of reading his phonetic spelling to figure out how it resembled the Mid-Atl sound.

This is what come to mind when I first read the emboldened text, especially upon reading "soot."
Whan that Aprill with his shoures soote
The droghte of March hath perced to the roote,
And bathed every veyne in swich licour
Of which vertu engendred is the flour,
Whan Zephirus eek with his sweete breeth...
-- Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales, "General Prologue"

P.S.
Anyone here know where kids in "regular" school are required to from memory recite any parts of Chaucer or some other Middle English classic?​
Rote memorization isn't a "thing" anymore in education. Was in my Dad's day--he knew Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Hamlet's Soliloquy, all kinds of really long pieces that he would recite sometimes in a deep stenorous voice. People used to think memorization of long pieces like that was a kind of mental calisthenics, that it made your brain function better to use it in difficult tasks like memorizing lengthy works. They have found, though, that is not how the grey matter actually builds smartness.
Still fun to listen to, when someone can start spouting the old stuff, though.

Actually some new studies are proving those methods to have been the best all along, like having to write out papers by hand. There are a few interviews on NPR about the studies; can't remember if the shows were Diane Rheems or one of the other two, and a few were 'TED Talks', I believe.
Writing out papers by hand is called the "kinesthetic" learning style and it often helps with memorization; one more route into the circuitry. I had not heard anything about memorizing someone else's words as being helpful in growing your brain power. I will look it up, though.

We had to memorize and learn meanings of all the Greek and Latin prefixes and suffixes starting the second half of first grade; this has the life long benefit of being able to read along and having a sense of what many words we might not of ever seen before meant, or at least could discern enough of what they meant to not have to stop dead every few words or sentences and spend hours going through a dictionary in order to continue reading, that sort of thing. It was extremely useful and time saving to have that 'rote memorization' learning already in your knowledge base, as did knowing how to do arithmetic and the simpler algebra in your head as well.

Manually finding the dots on graphs in Elementary functions and intro Calculus was certainly boring and tedious early on, but it served the same type of purpose and benefit by making it easy to just look at a formula and see what the graph was going to be without going through every step of calculating data to get there. Having to constantly use your I-Pod or some other crutch for everything from vocabulary to making change is a form of mental retardation from what I've seen.

Forget the grits!

Forget the grits!
WHAT!?

No grits.

There is no right way to cook grits. There is no right way to serve grits. There is nothing "right" about grits in any way, shape, or form.
I love grits the way they make them down South with lots of cream and butter. LOL I guess anything's good with plenty of cream and butter!

....and shrimp.

Forget the grits!

Forget the grits!
WHAT!?

No grits.

....and shrimp.

That needs tomato gravy.

I thought that was the accent of those in Baltimore or Balmer as it's pronounced.

It's close enough to say and think that if you aren't from the Mid-Atlantic region.

I have to admit, I think accent's are pretty cool, even the ones I don't like are still cool. I don't know where the guy who wrote "ayshun" is from. I do know that the way I and other locals would pronounce "ayshun" doesn't come out sounding the way we/they say "ocean." Where that member is from, that phonetic spelling probably does reflect the way to depict what Marylanders sound like.

The first time I looked at his emboldened sentence, I thought, "WTF? That "sounds" like Middle English, not Delmarva." It took me a few times of reading his phonetic spelling to figure out how it resembled the Mid-Atl sound.

This is what come to mind when I first read the emboldened text, especially upon reading "soot."

P.S.
Anyone here know where kids in "regular" school are required to from memory recite any parts of Chaucer or some other Middle English classic?​
Rote memorization isn't a "thing" anymore in education. Was in my Dad's day--he knew Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Hamlet's Soliloquy, all kinds of really long pieces that he would recite sometimes in a deep stenorous voice. People used to think memorization of long pieces like that was a kind of mental calisthenics, that it made your brain function better to use it in difficult tasks like memorizing lengthy works. They have found, though, that is not how the grey matter actually builds smartness.

Actually some new studies are proving those methods to have been the best all along, like having to write out papers by hand. There are a few interviews on NPR about the studies; can't remember if the shows were Diane Rheems or one of the other two, and a few were 'TED Talks', I believe.
Writing out papers by hand is called the "kinesthetic" learning style and it often helps with memorization; one more route into the circuitry. I had not heard anything about memorizing someone else's words as being helpful in growing your brain power. I will look it up, though.

We had to memorize and learn meanings of all the Greek and Latin prefixes and suffixes starting the second half of first grade; this has the life long benefit of being able to read along and having a sense of what many words we might not of ever seen before meant, or at least could discern enough of what they meant to not have to stop dead every few words or sentences and spend hours going through a dictionary in order to continue reading, that sort of thing. It was extremely useful and time saving to have that 'rote memorization' learning already in your knowledge base, as did knowing how to do arithmetic and the simpler algebra in your head as well.

Manually finding the dots on graphs in Elementary functions and intro Calculus was certainly boring and tedious early on, but it served the same type of purpose and benefit by making it easy to just look at a formula and see what the graph was going to be without going through every step of calculating data to get there. Having to constantly use your I-Pod or some other crutch for everything from vocabulary to making change is a form of mental retardation from what I've seen.
Absolutely! Some things you just gotta memorize, like your multiplication tables. I usually introduce prefixes and suffixes when a student comes across an unfamiliar word, since it makes more sense in context, but I believe most reading teachers start this early. It makes a lot more sense when readers see the prefixes and suffixes used a lot, though.

Forget the grits!

Forget the grits!
WHAT!?

No grits.

....and shrimp.
Oh, yes YES YES!

That means you have that gross DC/ MD accent.
Pitcher bain soot owen. We're goon danny ayshun to Ayshun City.
( Put your bathing suit on. We're going down to the ocean to Ocean City.)

P.S.

That's how I study. I used to go home and rewrite all of my notes, and it really helps you retain the information.
Incorporating a connecting physical activity with the learning process is necessary for success. My French teacher rarely made us write or speak and none of it took as a result. My Spanish teacher did and I'm practically highspanic now 50 years later.

...I'm practically highspanic now 50 years later.

OT:
One of my nursery school teachers, Miss Cadwalader, presumably was "challenged" to pronounce short "i." She seemingly had no compunction about saying "Eye-talian." "Eye-ran, Eye-rack," and "High-spanic" weren't words I recall her uttering, but then neither was there much call to do so among four and five year-olds in the early/mid 1960s.

I probably would not remember Miss Cadwalader but for my mother's becoming "nearly apoplectic" (thinking back, Mom wasn't truly that undone, but in the scheme of my toddling mind, it seemed so) when she heard me tell Miss Bea (our housekeeper/cook) I like "Eye-talian" food -- my school had served spaghetti and meatballs for lunch and it was the first time I'd ever had that -- and ask whether she knew how to cook it.

I can't really say much about Miss Cadwalader. I was four. I know that today, when I hear people "provincially" pronounce as long vowels ones that should be short, I wonder whether they might be among the folks Mom had in mind when she used the term "gutter garbage." To this day, I'm not entirely sure what that term means, but I think I have a pretty good idea, and I'm certain it's not "a good thing."

Aside:
Just in case you be uncertain about whether I have not "declared" you "gutter garbage," I merely thought of and shared that anecdote because of your having used a "provincial" phonetic spelling of "Hispanic." I don't know you, so I have no way to know whether you're "gutter garbage." I don't ridicule people based on a single minor happening, nor am I given to doing so in such an ambiguous way. People don't have to wonder whether I'm complimenting or castigating them. They know for sure.​

Last edited:
...I'm practically highspanic now 50 years later.

OT:
One of my nursery school teachers, Miss Cadwalader, presumably was "challenged" to pronounce short "i." She seemingly had no compunction about saying "Eye-talian." "Eye-ran, Eye-rack," and "High-spanic" weren't words I recall her uttering, but then neither was there much call to do so among four and five year-olds in the early/mid 1960s.

I probably would not remember Miss Cadwalader but for my mother's becoming "nearly apoplectic" (thinking back, Mom wasn't truly that undone, but in the scheme of my toddling mind, it seemed so) when she heard me tell Miss Bea (our housekeeper/cook) I liked "Eye-talian" food -- my school had served spaghetti and meatballs for lunch and it was the first time I'd ever had that -- and ask whether she knew how to cook it.

I can't really say much about Miss Cadwalader. I was four. I know that today, when I hear people "provincially" pronounce as long vowels ones that should be short, I wonder whether they might be among the folks Mom had in mind when she used the term "gutter garbage." To this day, I'm not entirely sure what that term means, but I think I have a pretty good idea, and I'm certain it's not "a good thing."

Aside:
Just in case you be uncertain about whether I have not "declared" you "gutter garbage," I merely thought of and shared that anecdote because of your having used a "provincial" phonetic spelling of "Hispanic." I don't know you, so I have no way to know whether you're "gutter garbage." I don't ridicule people based on a single minor happening, nor am I given to doing so in such an ambiguous way. People don't have to wonder whether I'm complimenting or castigating them. They know for sure.​
I agree with and totally appreciate your knowledge and accuracy when it comes to dialect. I've always found that fascinating and it really illuminates a person culturally -- usually but not always.
I like to play with pronunciations facetiously and often for effect. I say highspanic as a sarcastic response to the segregationist emphasis it gets from media and politics.

Grits is just cornmeal. I'll take cornbread anyday. What is it with you southerners and your slimy foods?

Every region has some pretty gross foods. Scrapple in Pennsylvania, some really detestable 'casseroles' popular in the Midwest, some people eat fungus like it's some kind of big 'delicacy', and New Yukkers will actually eat hot dogs off some filthy cart on the street, and Sicilian 'sea food dishes' that look like they're still moving ... California freaks put lumps of spoiled milk on Mexican food, they call it 'sour cream', and they put the awful crap on everything.

Now I'm hungry......

I /had/ considered getting a tiny house to make into my recording studio, but I was voted down by the family who wanted an addition for an endless pool. There wasn't really another flat spot to put a tiny house.
beautiful-tree-houses-0.jpg

That too, I've watched Treehouse Masters a few times heh Problem is we have some /nasty/ storms up here, I doubt a treehouse could stay up anywhere in our yard forest. I also said I wanted a conex (the box that semi's pull around) everyone said they're ugly - I waved a paintbrush around. I was supposed to get one of the bedrooms upstairs but now I suppose fuck it I get a whole god damn house. I'm going to put microphones all over so I can sing anywhere :p

I love the tree house show.

The TreeHouse show: For people that have never built a treehouse.

What a show like that needs is: "Where are they now, 10 years later"

Trees grow and die and all kinds of things.

The treehouse me n a friend built for his daughter is long gone.

The ones we built as kids, his grandpa yanked out of the trees with a truck and chain because the trees died and needed cut down.
The tree house show is full of crap and every tree they build one in, probably dies. You cannot poke holes and spikes in a tree and expect it to live.

PS: Eating cheap may enable one to acquire wealth. My friend and me were talking about going to Colorado and opening a restaurant. One that serves Southern breakfasts and lunches.

Well, that would be "feeding" cheap -- the stuff of a typical Southern breakfast (not including garnishes and decorations) generally has among the lowest going food costs of just about any style of cuisine -- but as owners of the place, yes, you'd likely, and often, also eat well but quite inexpensively...everyone who owns a "proper" restaurant generally does, after all.

Yeah uhh, you couldn't put a decent Southern breakfast together if your life depended on it.

You're better off not speaking of things outside your realm of expertise, ok?

Ok, you have a vocabulary.

Whip me up some biscuits and gravy.

They eat much poorer choices in just about every section of the country.

Don't forget the eggs on top, do you know how they're supposed to be cooked?

Of course you don't.

STFU on this subject.

Furthermore that wasn't what I meant.

Way to miss the point, fella.

Proper southern breakfast (I'm not southern hahaha but this is how we eat):

Biscuits
butter and jam
white gravy
fried eggs
hot cakes (sourdough)
hot cereal...cream of wheat made with sugar and butter and served with cream, or grits made with cheese, or oatmeal with butter and brown sugar
fried ham/bacon/sausage..any or all
Fried venison if you have it
canned fruit or canned tomatoes

Did I miss anything?

Oh yeah!
Fried potatoes!
And a gallon of coffee and a gallon of milk.

Yes I have served this. Breakfast when my house is full is pretty much everything we have goes on the table and is served with gravy.

Actually you can poke holes in trees and they live just fine, their "veins" will grow around it and or recover. You can see this all over the place if you really look for it, like up here we have rock slides and stuff so you can find trees that look like they were cut in half by a bolder, then the tree just just wraps around the bolder over time and grows just fine. (Obviously there's some stability issues when the tree gets too tall, but in the long run it's a meh.) Also see syrup trees.

You just have to make sure you don't block too much when you put the spike in. I think Treehouse Masters also uses the flex band style anchors which still allows the tree to grow both in height and in girth while still maintaining the house at a specific level (requires maintenance adjustments of course.)

PS: Eating cheap may enable one to acquire wealth. My friend and me were talking about going to Colorado and opening a restaurant. One that serves Southern breakfasts and lunches.

Well, that would be "feeding" cheap -- the stuff of a typical Southern breakfast (not including garnishes and decorations) generally has among the lowest going food costs of just about any style of cuisine -- but as owners of the place, yes, you'd likely, and often, also eat well but quite inexpensively...everyone who owns a "proper" restaurant generally does, after all.

Yeah uhh, you couldn't put a decent Southern breakfast together if your life depended on it.

You're better off not speaking of things outside your realm of expertise, ok?

Ok, you have a vocabulary.

Whip me up some biscuits and gravy.

They eat much poorer choices in just about every section of the country.

Don't forget the eggs on top, do you know how they're supposed to be cooked?

Of course you don't.

STFU on this subject.

Furthermore that wasn't what I meant.

Way to miss the point, fella.

Biscuits
butter and jam
white gravy
fried eggs
hot cakes (sourdough)
hot cereal...cream of wheat made with sugar and butter and served with cream, or grits made with cheese, or oatmeal with butter and brown sugar
fried ham/bacon/sausage..any or all
Fried venison if you have it
canned fruit or canned tomatoes

Did I miss anything?

Oh yeah!
Fried potatoes!
And a gallon of coffee and a gallon of milk.

Yes I have served this. Breakfast when my house is full is pretty much everything we have goes on the table and is served with gravy.

What? Well, where are you from? Why not just call it a "proper [wherever you are from] breakfast?"

Did I miss anything?

Several things, yes:
  • Eggs need not be fried. Scramble, over-easy, omelette, sunny-side-up, poached, hard or soft boiled, etc. each can be part of a "proper" Southern breakfast.
  • Freshly squeezed orange juice. It can be pear or apple, but most folks don't want to work that hard with all the other fixings happening. (Orange juice had seeds in it when I was coming up. People "freak out" about that these days. Lord only knows why.)
  • Nitpicking with this one -- White gravy generally has sausage in it. One certainly will come by it plenty often without the sausage.
  • Not just any ol' biscuit. They must be buttermilk biscuits. For a Southerner, "biscuit" and "buttermilk biscuit" is synonymous, but for readers who don't know that, one must be clear.
  • Southerners, of course, do eat canned fruits (tomato is a fruit), but they do so out of convenience. Given the abundance of farms and gardens in the South, a "proper" breakfast will have fresh fruit. It may be berries, melons, or tree-grown fruit, but it won't have spent any time in a can. The exception is one's own home canned fruits.

canned-peaches-e1338428600714.jpg

I don't know any, literally not one, Southern families that don't can. Even I do it because my wife passed and someone has to. If one has a still, one will leave a few pieces of the canned fruit in the jar, fill the jar with "raw shine," and let it sit for a year or two.

What does one do with fruited shine? Whatever one wants to do with it. Basically, it's a potable fruit flavored extract, or if one's let it sit long enough, liqueur. For instance, put vanilla beans in the jar and it'll essentially be vanilla extract. Peaches and vanilla beans are really good together.

Vanilla_Moonshine_Flickr_Nadja_Robot.jpg

I use it mostly in iced or hot tea and party punches. Mom did that and cooked with it. I was especially fond of her fruit-shine candied sweet potatoes. (Sometimes it was peach, other times pear.) I've cooked with it too, but not as much as Mom did. I used it for deglazing a wide variety sauteed vegetable dishes.

img_1210.jpg

• A bed, rocking chair, easy chair, or something of the sort.....because if one has a "proper" breakfast as large as the one you've described -- folks certainly do; I have -- taking a nap is what happens next.
  • Lots of things for children to do on their own....When kids eat breakfasts like that, they have more energy than it takes to kill a snake. Thus if one hasn't available such amusements, one will not have a restful nap. LOL

Forum List

Back