SJWs Attack Tiny House Movement for Poverty Appropriation

PS: Eating cheap may enable one to acquire wealth. My friend and me were talking about going to Colorado and opening a restaurant. One that serves Southern breakfasts and lunches.

Well, that would be "feeding" cheap -- the stuff of a typical Southern breakfast (not including garnishes and decorations) generally has among the lowest going food costs of just about any style of cuisine -- but as owners of the place, yes, you'd likely, and often, also eat well but quite inexpensively...everyone who owns a "proper" restaurant generally does, after all.

Yeah uhh, you couldn't put a decent Southern breakfast together if your life depended on it.

You're better off not speaking of things outside your realm of expertise, ok?

Ok, you have a vocabulary.

Whip me up some biscuits and gravy.

They eat much poorer choices in just about every section of the country.

Don't forget the eggs on top, do you know how they're supposed to be cooked?

Of course you don't.

STFU on this subject.

Furthermore that wasn't what I meant.

Way to miss the point, fella.

Proper southern breakfast (I'm not southern hahaha but this is how we eat):

Biscuits
butter and jam
white gravy
fried eggs
hot cakes (sourdough)
hot cereal...cream of wheat made with sugar and butter and served with cream, or grits made with cheese, or oatmeal with butter and brown sugar
fried ham/bacon/sausage..any or all
Fried venison if you have it
canned fruit or canned tomatoes

Did I miss anything?

Oh yeah!
Fried potatoes!
And a gallon of coffee and a gallon of milk.

Yes I have served this. Breakfast when my house is full is pretty much everything we have goes on the table and is served with gravy.

What? Well, where are you from? Why not just call it a "proper [wherever you are from] breakfast?"

Did I miss anything?

Several things, yes:
  • Eggs need not be fried. Scramble, over-easy, omelette, sunny-side-up, poached, hard or soft boiled, etc. each can be part of a "proper" Southern breakfast.
  • Freshly squeezed orange juice
  • Nitpicking with this one -- White gravy generally has sausage in it. One certainly will come by it plenty often without the sausage.
  • Not just any ol' biscuit. They must be buttermilk biscuits. For a Southerner, "biscuit" and "buttermilk biscuit" is synonymous, but for readers who don't know that, one must be clear.
  • Southerners, of course, do eat canned fruits (tomato is a fruit), but they do so out of convenience. Given the abundance of farms and gardens in the South, a "proper" breakfast will have fresh fruit. It may be berries, melons, or tree-grown fruit, but it won't have spent any time in a can. The exception is one's own home canned fruits.

canned-peaches-e1338428600714.jpg

I don't know any, literally, Southern families that don't can. Even I do it because my wife passed and someone has to. If one has a still, one will leave a few pieces of the canned fruit in the jar, fill the jar with "raw shine," and let it sit for a year or two.

What does one do with fruited shine? Whatever one wants to do with it. Basically, it's a potable fruit flavored extract, or if one's let it sit long enough, liqueur. For instance, put vanilla beans in the jar and it'll essentially be vanilla extract. Peaches and vanilla beans are really good together.

Vanilla_Moonshine_Flickr_Nadja_Robot.jpg

I use it mostly in iced or hot tea and party punches. Mom did that and cooked with it. I was especially fond of her fruit-shine candied sweet potatoes. (Sometimes it was peach, other times pear.) I've cooked with it too, but not as much as Mom did. I used it for deglazing a wide variety sauteed vegetable dishes.

img_1210.jpg

• A bed, rocking chair, easy chair, or something of the sort.....because if one has a "proper" breakfast as large as the one you've described -- folks certainly do; I have -- taking a nap is what happens next.
  • Lots of things for children to do on their own....When kids eat breakfasts like that, they have more energy than it takes to kill a snake. Thus if one hasn't available such amusements, one will not have a restful nap. LOL

My grandparents' family on my dad's side were bluegrass fiddle players and hailed from Tennessee, Texas, Kentucky....

My white gravy doesn't have sausage in it. It's white gravy.
My biscuits are buttermilk when we have a cow.

Everybody on both sides of my family canned. Fresh fruit generally goes into pies in our homes ;)

EXCEPT for berries, we always have berries in season..beautiful raspberries, blackberries, or strawberries with lots of sugar and CREAM.

I couldn't cook a meal to save my life so I've not got much to add to this discussion that's turned into the Food Network :p

However, I LOVE grits, no one can make them up here, it's very depressing. I also love sausage gravy and biscuits.

PS: Eating cheap may enable one to acquire wealth. My friend and me were talking about going to Colorado and opening a restaurant. One that serves Southern breakfasts and lunches.

Well, that would be "feeding" cheap -- the stuff of a typical Southern breakfast (not including garnishes and decorations) generally has among the lowest going food costs of just about any style of cuisine -- but as owners of the place, yes, you'd likely, and often, also eat well but quite inexpensively...everyone who owns a "proper" restaurant generally does, after all.

Yeah uhh, you couldn't put a decent Southern breakfast together if your life depended on it.

Of course you don't.

STFU on this subject.

Biscuits
butter and jam
white gravy
fried eggs
hot cakes (sourdough)
hot cereal...cream of wheat made with sugar and butter and served with cream, or grits made with cheese, or oatmeal with butter and brown sugar

Did I miss anything?

Oh yeah!
Fried potatoes!

Yes I have served this. Breakfast when my house is full is pretty much everything we have goes on the table and is served with gravy.

What? Well, where are you from? Why not just call it a "proper [wherever you are from] breakfast?"

Did I miss anything?

Several things, yes:
  • Eggs need not be fried. Scramble, over-easy, omelette, sunny-side-up, poached, hard or soft boiled, etc. each can be part of a "proper" Southern breakfast.
  • Freshly squeezed orange juice
  • Nitpicking with this one -- White gravy generally has sausage in it. One certainly will come by it plenty often without the sausage.
  • Not just any ol' biscuit. They must be buttermilk biscuits. For a Southerner, "biscuit" and "buttermilk biscuit" is synonymous, but for readers who don't know that, one must be clear.
  • Southerners, of course, do eat canned fruits (tomato is a fruit), but they do so out of convenience. Given the abundance of farms and gardens in the South, a "proper" breakfast will have fresh fruit. It may be berries, melons, or tree-grown fruit, but it won't have spent any time in a can. The exception is one's own home canned fruits.

I don't know any, literally, Southern families that don't can. Even I do it because my wife passed and someone has to. If one has a still, one will leave a few pieces of the canned fruit in the jar, fill the jar with "raw shine," and let it sit for a year or two.

What does one do with fruited shine? Whatever one wants to do with it. Basically, it's a potable fruit flavored extract, or if one's let it sit long enough, liqueur. For instance, put vanilla beans in the jar and it'll essentially be vanilla extract. Peaches and vanilla beans are really good together.

I use it mostly in iced or hot tea and party punches. Mom did that and cooked with it. I was especially fond of her fruit-shine candied sweet potatoes. (Sometimes it was peach, other times pear.) I've cooked with it too, but not as much as Mom did. I used it for deglazing a wide variety sauteed vegetable dishes.

img_1210.jpg

• A bed, rocking chair, easy chair, or something of the sort.....because if one has a "proper" breakfast as large as the one you've described -- folks certainly do; I have -- taking a nap is what happens next.
  • Lots of things for children to do on their own....When kids eat breakfasts like that, they have more energy than it takes to kill a snake. Thus if one hasn't available such amusements, one will not have a restful nap. LOL

My grandparents' family on my dad's side were bluegrass fiddle players and hailed from Tennessee, Texas, Kentucky....

My white gravy doesn't have sausage in it. It's white gravy.
My biscuits are buttermilk when we have a cow.

Everybody on both sides of my family canned. Fresh fruit generally goes into pies in our homes ;)

Well, then you are Southern.

Everybody on both sides of my family canned.

See. I don't even know you, and you and your family can. It's what Southern folks do.

I recall the first time I tried mass produced canned fruit, and canned fruit cocktail. Even as a kid I thought that stuff was rank nasty. Later, when I was courting the woman whom I'd marry, I cooked dinner for her and got lazy and used canned pears for my orange raspberry poached pear dessert. Suffice to say, it was not the "hit" I was expecting it to be. I never repeated that mistake.

Fresh fruit generally goes into pies in our homes ;)

Yep. Pumpkin pie is the only pie I've made using canned fruit. Otherwise, though, I think one'd have a pie plate full of doughy mush were one to use canned fruit. That canned fruit's already been cooked. There's nothing for it to do but become "sauce." But what do I know? Maybe someone's got a "creative" way of making the pie crusts and then putting heated canned fruit in the lower one and then somehow "gluing" on the top. I don' know, but I'm sure not hankering to try. LOL

Of course you don't.

STFU on this subject.

Biscuits
butter and jam
white gravy
fried eggs
hot cakes (sourdough)

Did I miss anything?

Oh yeah!
Fried potatoes!

Did I miss anything?

Several things, yes:
  • Freshly squeezed orange juice. It can be pear or apple, but most folks don't want to work that hard with all the other fixings happening. (Orange juice had seeds in it when I was coming up. People "freak out" about that these days. Lord only knows why.)

I don't know any, literally not one, Southern families that don't can. Even I do it because my wife passed and someone has to. If one has a still, one will leave a few pieces of the canned fruit in the jar, fill the jar with "raw shine," and let it sit for a year or two.

img_1210.jpg

And THAT is one reason why people from the south have a weight problem. ;)

Wat? I thought SJWs were the same idiot dirty hippie types that would like to buy a tiny house and plant it in someone's back yard.

I am confuzzled now. :eusa_shifty:

PS: Eating cheap may enable one to acquire wealth.

My friend and me were talking about going to Colorado and opening a restaurant.

One that serves Southern breakfasts and lunches.
Forget the grits!

Forget the grits!
WHAT!?

No grits.

You don't know what you're missing.

I currently have about 8 lbs of grits. :badgrin:

Maybe he just never had anybody cook 'um right.
There is no right way to cook grits. There is no right way to serve grits. There is nothing "right" about grits in any way, shape, or form.
I love grits the way they make them down South with lots of cream and butter. LOL I guess anything's good with plenty of cream and butter!

....and shrimp.

That needs tomato gravy.

lol speaking of regional words, I was watching an episode of the Sopranos one time, one of the ones where they went to Italy; they were sitting around at a restaurant eating and Paulie Walnuts was gushing over how good 'the gravy' was. I thought to myself 'why would anybody put gravy on spaghetti??? That's gross! Yuck!' Took me a few moments to realize they call tomato sauce 'gravy'.

Wat? I thought SJWs were the same idiot dirty hippie types that would like to buy a tiny house and plant it in someone's back yard.

I am confuzzled now. :eusa_shifty:

PS: Eating cheap may enable one to acquire wealth.

My friend and me were talking about going to Colorado and opening a restaurant.

One that serves Southern breakfasts and lunches.
Forget the grits!

Forget the grits!
WHAT!?

No grits.

You don't know what you're missing.

I currently have about 8 lbs of grits. :badgrin:

Maybe he just never had anybody cook 'um right.
There is no right way to cook grits. There is no right way to serve grits. There is nothing "right" about grits in any way, shape, or form.
I love grits the way they make them down South with lots of cream and butter. LOL I guess anything's good with plenty of cream and butter!

....and shrimp.

That needs tomato gravy.

lol speaking of regional words, I was watching an episode of the Sopranos one time, one of the ones where they went to Italy; they were sitting around at a restaurant eating and Paulie Walnuts was gushing over how good 'the gravy' was. I thought to myself 'why would anybody put gravy on spaghetti??? That's gross! Yuck!' Took me a few moments to realize they call tomato sauce 'gravy'.

sausage_gravy_1.jpg

Hell yea! And don't give me that bullshit pretty white crap either. I want it cooked in so much bacon grease that the shit separates into streaks on the plate. I want it to ooze down my throat and land in the pit like a just swallowed a piece of mercury. ~drools~

You can't consume all that fattening crap for breakfast and not expect to gain weight! Gravy for breakfast? Good god.
One can, but one must have a very high activity level to do so. The comparatively sedentary lifestyle most folks lead these days cannot come close to burning off all those calories.

I know everyone's different. I can say only that my trainer has me on a ~3K calories/day maintenance (not building muscle mass, but not losing weight either) diet, and with the exercise I do each day, I manage to keep "four to six pack" and ~6% to ~9% body fat. Around the holidays and when I each a huge meal like that breakfast described above, I have to materially increase my aerobic and weight training regimen for at least three days.

It's funny, but folks think I work out to stay fit and trim -- when I first started that was the reason; looking good naked is very important in one's 20s - 40s -- but my reason these days is so I can eat whatever the heck I want to eat and not worry about it making me look like "two tons of fun." I'm pushing 60, now. It's nice to look good naked, but that's nowhere near as important now as it was even just 20 years ago.

sausage_gravy_1.jpg

Hell yea! And don't give me that bullshit pretty white crap either. I want it cooked in so much bacon grease that the shit separates into streaks on the plate. I want it to ooze down my throat and land in the pit like a just swallowed a piece of mercury. ~drools~
my gravy has high fat and flavor content. Plus it's white. Nomnom.

sausage_gravy_1.jpg

^ Fake biscuits, that's a crime! :puke:

I do have a thing for fat and flavor :) I'm lucky it never sticks to me so I can eat anything I want, in fact I frequently will order a 10" round cake and that's all I'll eat for like a week and a half :p

sausage_gravy_1.jpg

^ Fake biscuits, that's a crime! :puke:

Not my fault! Real stuff just doesn't exist on the interweb...

I do have a thing for fat and flavor :) I'm lucky it never sticks to me so I can eat anything I want, in fact I frequently will order a 10" round cake and that's all I'll eat for like a week and a half :p
I hate you! My wife is a fitness fanatic and can eat anything without gaining weight (the contrary-she is in a never-ending fight to not LOSE muscle mass)...me, not so much.

I hate you! My wife is a fitness fanatic and can eat anything without gaining weight (the contrary-she is in a never-ending fight to not LOSE muscle mass)...me, not so much.

I've heard this before :p

Forum List

Back