SJWs Attack Tiny House Movement for Poverty Appropriation

I /had/ considered getting a tiny house to make into my recording studio, but I was voted down by the family who wanted an addition for an endless pool. There wasn't really another flat spot to put a tiny house.
beautiful-tree-houses-0.jpg

That too, I've watched Treehouse Masters a few times heh Problem is we have some /nasty/ storms up here, I doubt a treehouse could stay up anywhere in our yard forest. I also said I wanted a conex (the box that semi's pull around) everyone said they're ugly - I waved a paintbrush around. I was supposed to get one of the bedrooms upstairs but now I suppose fuck it I get a whole god damn house. I'm going to put microphones all over so I can sing anywhere :p

Dude, I live in D.C. I grew up in D.C. My ancestors in both my parent's family fought for the CSA in the the Civil War. I grew up with cans of bacon grease and sausage grease in the fridge. "Crawdads" and grits were regular breakfast items.

Biscuits made from any milk other than buttermilk is just bread. Why does anyone pay extra for nonstick cookware when nothing sticks to a cast iron skillet to begin with as long as you know what you're doing when you cook with it? Although if you got momma riled, your face, butt or whatever would stick to bottom of it when she hit you with a hot one.
That means you have that gross DC/ MD accent.
Pitcher bain soot owen. We're goon danny ayshun to Ayshun City.
( Put your bathing suit on. We're going down to the ocean to Ocean City.)
I thought that was the accent of those in Baltimore or Balmer as it's pronounced.

It's close enough to say and think that if you aren't from the Mid-Atlantic region.

I have to admit, I think accent's are pretty cool, even the ones I don't like are still cool. I don't know where the guy who wrote "ayshun" is from. I do know that the way I and other locals would pronounce "ayshun" doesn't come out sounding the way we/they say "ocean." Where that member is from, that phonetic spelling probably does reflect the way to depict what Marylanders sound like.

The first time I looked at his emboldened sentence, I thought, "WTF? That "sounds" like Middle English, not Delmarva." It took me a few times of reading his phonetic spelling to figure out how it resembled the Mid-Atl sound.

This is what come to mind when I first read the emboldened text, especially upon reading "soot."
Whan that Aprill with his shoures soote
The droghte of March hath perced to the roote,
And bathed every veyne in swich licour
Of which vertu engendred is the flour,
Whan Zephirus eek with his sweete breeth...
-- Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales, "General Prologue"

P.S.
Anyone here know where kids in "regular" school are required to from memory recite any parts of Chaucer or some other Middle English classic?​
Rote memorization isn't a "thing" anymore in education. Was in my Dad's day--he knew Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Hamlet's Soliloquy, all kinds of really long pieces that he would recite sometimes in a deep stenorous voice. People used to think memorization of long pieces like that was a kind of mental calisthenics, that it made your brain function better to use it in difficult tasks like memorizing lengthy works. They have found, though, that is not how the grey matter actually builds smartness.
Still fun to listen to, when someone can start spouting the old stuff, though.

Actually some new studies are proving those methods to have been the best all along, like having to write out papers by hand. There are a few interviews on NPR about the studies; can't remember if the shows were Diane Rheems or one of the other two, and a few were 'TED Talks', I believe.

I'm of the opinion that actually writing papers and doing long-hand arithmetic does solidify the thought processes necessary to do so.

These kids aren't writing or reciting or figuring things out, they just use their phone. :eek:

I'm just extremely happy that things like the tiny house movement bring so much angst to lefty idiots. Anything that gets wedged up their cracks is a good thing and should be encouraged. If the losers want to be miserable about things that appeal to others we should work hard to ensure their butthurt is terminal.

Grits is just cornmeal. I'll take cornbread anyday. What is it with you southerners and your slimy foods?

Every region has some pretty gross foods. Scrapple in Pennsylvania, some really detestable 'casseroles' popular in the Midwest, some people eat fungus like it's some kind of big 'delicacy', and New Yukkers will actually eat hot dogs off some filthy cart on the street, and Sicilian 'sea food dishes' that look like they're still moving ... California freaks put lumps of spoiled milk on Mexican food, they call it 'sour cream', and they put the awful crap on everything.

I like sour cream. It's delicious.

Dude, I live in D.C. I grew up in D.C. My ancestors in both my parent's family fought for the CSA in the the Civil War. I grew up with cans of bacon grease and sausage grease in the fridge. "Crawdads" and grits were regular breakfast items.

Biscuits made from any milk other than buttermilk is just bread. Why does anyone pay extra for nonstick cookware when nothing sticks to a cast iron skillet to begin with as long as you know what you're doing when you cook with it? Although if you got momma riled, your face, butt or whatever would stick to bottom of it when she hit you with a hot one.
I thought that was the accent of those in Baltimore or Balmer as it's pronounced.

It's close enough to say and think that if you aren't from the Mid-Atlantic region.

I have to admit, I think accent's are pretty cool, even the ones I don't like are still cool. I don't know where the guy who wrote "ayshun" is from. I do know that the way I and other locals would pronounce "ayshun" doesn't come out sounding the way we/they say "ocean." Where that member is from, that phonetic spelling probably does reflect the way to depict what Marylanders sound like.

The first time I looked at his emboldened sentence, I thought, "WTF? That "sounds" like Middle English, not Delmarva." It took me a few times of reading his phonetic spelling to figure out how it resembled the Mid-Atl sound.

This is what come to mind when I first read the emboldened text, especially upon reading "soot."

P.S.
Anyone here know where kids in "regular" school are required to from memory recite any parts of Chaucer or some other Middle English classic?​
Rote memorization isn't a "thing" anymore in education. Was in my Dad's day--he knew Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Hamlet's Soliloquy, all kinds of really long pieces that he would recite sometimes in a deep stenorous voice. People used to think memorization of long pieces like that was a kind of mental calisthenics, that it made your brain function better to use it in difficult tasks like memorizing lengthy works. They have found, though, that is not how the grey matter actually builds smartness.

Actually some new studies are proving those methods to have been the best all along, like having to write out papers by hand. There are a few interviews on NPR about the studies; can't remember if the shows were Diane Rheems or one of the other two, and a few were 'TED Talks', I believe.

That's how I study. I used to go home and rewrite all of my notes, and it really helps you retain the information.

I /had/ considered getting a tiny house to make into my recording studio, but I was voted down by the family who wanted an addition for an endless pool. There wasn't really another flat spot to put a tiny house.

That too, I've watched Treehouse Masters a few times heh Problem is we have some /nasty/ storms up here, I doubt a treehouse could stay up anywhere in our yard forest. I also said I wanted a conex (the box that semi's pull around) everyone said they're ugly - I waved a paintbrush around. I was supposed to get one of the bedrooms upstairs but now I suppose fuck it I get a whole god damn house. I'm going to put microphones all over so I can sing anywhere :p

I love the tree house show.

P.S.

I'm of the opinion that actually writing papers and doing long-hand arithmetic does solidify the thought processes necessary to do so.

These kids aren't writing or reciting or figuring things out, they just use their phone. :eek:

Damn whippersnappers! :D

I love the tree house show.

The TreeHouse show: For people that have never built a treehouse.

What a show like that needs is: "Where are they now, 10 years later"

Trees grow and die and all kinds of things.

The treehouse me n a friend built for his daughter is long gone.

The ones we built as kids, his grandpa yanked out of the trees with a truck and chain because the trees died and needed cut down.

Wat? I thought SJWs were the same idiot dirty hippie types that would like to buy a tiny house and plant it in someone's back yard.

I am confuzzled now. :eusa_shifty:

PS: Eating cheap may enable one to acquire wealth.

My friend and me were talking about going to Colorado and opening a restaurant.

One that serves Southern breakfasts and lunches.
Forget the grits!

Wat? I thought SJWs were the same idiot dirty hippie types that would like to buy a tiny house and plant it in someone's back yard.

Forget the grits!
WHAT!?

No grits.

You don't know what you're missing.

I currently have about 8 lbs of grits. :badgrin:

Maybe he just never had anybody cook 'um right.
There is no right way to cook grits. There is no right way to serve grits. There is nothing "right" about grits in any way, shape, or form.

Were I to decide on just doing the academic part of Geology, and moved to Eastern Oregon, I would likely get rid of most of what I have. Several thousand dollars worth of tools collected for the last 50 years. About 2/3rds of my clothes, and most of my books. I would keep my guns, specialty books, and enough tools for emergency repairs on a vehicle. I could easily live in a 500' or 600' space. And live well.

However, my wife cannot take the cold, so I will stay on this side of the mountains and maintain my tools, rock collection, and library. Simplicity of living has definite benefits.

Glad to hear you have guns and dig rocks (pun) Old Rocks. So do I. We disagree on a lot of things, but finding common ground is where progress begins.

Yeah, I kid you not.

As if we needed more evidence that SJWs were total wack jobs anyway.

SJW Turns Against Tiny House Movement as 'Poverty Appropriation'

This background, this essential part of who I am, makes it particularly difficult to stomach the latest trend in “simple” living  -- people moving into tiny homes and trailers. How many folks, I wonder, who have engaged in the Tiny House Movement have ever actually lived in a tiny, mobile place? Because what those who can afford homes call “living light,” poor folks call “gratitude for what we’ve got.”

And it’s not just the Tiny House Movement that incites my discontent. From dumpster diving to trailer-themed bars to haute cuisine in the form of poor-household staples, it’s become trendy for those with money to appropriate the poverty lifestyle  -- and it troubles me for one simple reason. Choice.

[...]

It’s likely, from where I sit, that this back-to-nature and boxed-up simplicity is not being marketed to people like me, who come from simplicity and heightened knowledge of poverty, but to people who have not wanted for creature comforts. For them to try on, glamorize, identify with.

Such appropriation isn’t limited to the Tiny House trend, or even to the idea of simplicity. In major cities, people who come from high-income backgrounds flock to bars and restaurants that both appropriate, and mock, low-income communities. Perhaps the most egregious example is San Francisco’s Butter Bar, a trendy outpost that prides itself on being a true-blue, trailer park-themed bar, serving up the best in “trashy” cuisine and cocktails.​

I've seen the tiny houses show on HGTV! I'm still trying to figure out what the author is upset about. I wouldn't want to live in one of those tiny houses, but if someone else does, then why would that bother anyone? Damn, people are so screwy.

Hey Chrissy, I'd advise not spending too much time trying to figure it out. It will only confuse and frustrate you, since by in large, you seem to be reasonable and rationale. Those folks aren't. See the problem?

Yeah, I kid you not.

As if we needed more evidence that SJWs were total wack jobs anyway.

SJW Turns Against Tiny House Movement as 'Poverty Appropriation'

This background, this essential part of who I am, makes it particularly difficult to stomach the latest trend in “simple” living  -- people moving into tiny homes and trailers. How many folks, I wonder, who have engaged in the Tiny House Movement have ever actually lived in a tiny, mobile place? Because what those who can afford homes call “living light,” poor folks call “gratitude for what we’ve got.”

And it’s not just the Tiny House Movement that incites my discontent. From dumpster diving to trailer-themed bars to haute cuisine in the form of poor-household staples, it’s become trendy for those with money to appropriate the poverty lifestyle  -- and it troubles me for one simple reason. Choice.

[...]

It’s likely, from where I sit, that this back-to-nature and boxed-up simplicity is not being marketed to people like me, who come from simplicity and heightened knowledge of poverty, but to people who have not wanted for creature comforts. For them to try on, glamorize, identify with.

Such appropriation isn’t limited to the Tiny House trend, or even to the idea of simplicity. In major cities, people who come from high-income backgrounds flock to bars and restaurants that both appropriate, and mock, low-income communities. Perhaps the most egregious example is San Francisco’s Butter Bar, a trendy outpost that prides itself on being a true-blue, trailer park-themed bar, serving up the best in “trashy” cuisine and cocktails.​

I've seen the tiny houses show on HGTV! I'm still trying to figure out what the author is upset about. I wouldn't want to live in one of those tiny houses, but if someone else does, then why would that bother anyone? Damn, people are so screwy.

Oh I could definitely live in one with the right climate.
Of course i'd have a 4000 square foot Lanai with outdoor kitchen and living area.
And then I'd still need a four car shop/garage.

So your garage would be bigger than your tiny house! "Yeah, here's my house, but HERE is my garage!" :lol:

Every Man needs his Man Cave.

Sure, to keep all of your ugly things. :D

Well if you don't marry right, the ugly thing is kept in the kitchen.

P.S.

Writing out papers by hand is called the "kinesthetic" learning style and it often helps with memorization; one more route into the circuitry. I had not heard anything about memorizing someone else's words as being helpful in growing your brain power. I will look it up, though.

Forget the grits!

Forget the grits!
WHAT!?

No grits.

You don't know what you're missing.

I currently have about 8 lbs of grits. :badgrin:

Maybe he just never had anybody cook 'um right.
There is no right way to cook grits. There is no right way to serve grits. There is nothing "right" about grits in any way, shape, or form.
I love grits the way they make them down South with lots of cream and butter. LOL I guess anything's good with plenty of cream and butter!

Forum List

Back