Situation That May Arise

Discussion in 'Military' started by Cain, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Cain

Cain Air Force DEP

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +60
    So, as many of you know I am in the US Air Force DEP (Very Proud), but their is one issue, that could change that.

As you know, they assign you a job (MOS/AFSC) before you get to BMT (Basic Military Training) in the DEP (Delayed Entry Program), but some don't. Some do not get the job they want, so they go in under General, which means you could be practically anything.

The Job I am wanting is a very common job, and has a lot of openings, Security Forces, but let's say I do not get the job (always possible) and I am about to ship off to basic in 2 weeks under the "General" category.

What would you do, if you could do the same job you wanted, in a different branch with a guaranteed contract before their Basic? What would you do? I know for a fact that the same job I am wanting in the Air Force I could get in the US Army or Marines, but I do not WANT to have to do this, but I am asking a 'what if' situation, cause it could very well happen.

2. Granny

Granny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,255
    I would think if you've already signed a contract with the AF you will have to go where they send you and do what they tell you to do. Paperwork flows slowly and I imagine at this point your paperwork is already set. Keep your chin up - you'll probably get into the MOS that you want if there are openings and you qualified for the position.

3. Cain

Cain Air Force DEP

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +60
    In the DEP you are allowed to back out, before Basic, and a certain amount of time after Basic you can too, I forgot the exact time period.

I really do NOT want to ever back out, I just don't want to be put in a job where I am going to do terribly. I am trying to keep my chin-up, and I am not going to back down unless they try to 'vocal promise' me my AFSC while going to Basic. So many people have had that done and end up getting a completely different job. I have met many online, and know several in real life. Not just AF, but a few AF either way.

I cannot believe I am even worrying about this, but it has happened to others in the DEP before (before we had our DEP they all went to 1 city, so it has technically never happened in our new DEP, the old sergeant died and the DEP didn't have a leader), but I just couldn't imagine being a mechanic or something I really suck at, cause 1. I'd be terrified I'll screw up and get someone hurt or killed. 2. I'd hate the job I do.

4. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    2 words. If you can qualify ?
    Coast Guard.

5. Cain

Cain Air Force DEP

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I am pretty sure I could? I do not think I'd want to go Coast Guard, the Job I would go to, if I ever went to a different service would be Infantry or Special Forces.

6. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    You're in TN. Just put on a deer skin and run through the woods.:cuckoo:

7. Granny

Granny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,255
    Only two weeks away and you haven't already been told what you'll be doing?

8. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    wow!

You won't exactly be the first person to get screwed by a recruiter, amigo.

If you can get out of this contract that's screwing you DO SO.

9. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,680
    That means you'll be a cook. Guaranteed. Is that what you want? Tell that lying ass fuckin' recruiter either the job is guaranteed or you'll take your skills elsewhere. Play hardball now or you'll regret it later.

I worked Security Police in the AF. Believe me, you do not want to do the same job in the Army or the Marines.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Cain

Cain Air Force DEP

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +60
    No, I was using that as a example, because that happens in the DEP sometimes. Sadly.

Lack of Benefits.

Yea, well, I will go there before leaving. I really take the Oath we took seriously, I just, don't want to end up being something completely random.

I am not meaning Police though, in the Air Force, the closest they have now for Infantry, aside from Special Forces, is Security Forces, and their getting to where they are making it more and more like the infantry which is what I want in the USAF. I am saying if it ends up not ever coming to me in the USAF, I could go to the Army and get the job guaranteed before I even go to MEPS for them, or the Marines and have a good chance of getting that position. I just pray that never happens.