Site's First Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Like the site, and been here long enough to know what often shows up as the last post in various groups isn't indicative of the site as a whole. But to a first-time visitor seeing the hyper-partisan, racist, anti-semitic stuff might be a turn off and reason to look for a discussion site elsewhere.

While I've notice more Members on at various times, is isn't much more and still nothing to get happy about giving how many people are on discussion sites. Total number of registered members isn't how many people use the site. 152 or so on right now is how many are using the site. Maybe it's because when they log on, the post topics of things like "Do Jews Own the Media" smack of other sites like "Jew Watch" and the like.

Controversy can help, but also hurt a website. If you want more members and thus more revenue from ads you need to decide whether a troll-infested site or actual polite discussion site is what ya want. Can't really have both.

Free speech is all well and good but too-free is just code for troll heaven. A troll-riddled site will make civil discussions impossible and only be of appeal to other trolls.

The board has always taken the position free speech first and deal with trolls as necessary.

I have been on a board that allows all sorts of Nazi] and Islamist supporters to post away, but then muzzles people by way of response. The term "polite" is never applied towards the original statement, but only the reaction to it. You could be a Nazi, but you were penalized if you called somebody one, even if that was the truth.

Given a situation like that, I think this is a preferable option where at least people can be more open in confronting them.

The board has always taken the position free speech first and deal with trolls as necessary.

We like to eat trolls. In fact, I just got a new receipe for Jalepeno Trolls....or maybe it was Jalepeno Hamsters...either way....tasty tidbits.

Not getting to call people racist epithets is a loss I'm willing to endure. :) But that's not the problem. It's what doesn't happen to the posters of that sort of garbage. Shouldn't even be here. And if all the negative vibes go away and the site's less fun then what amuses people is perhaps the wrong things. If a discussion site can't have productive discussions because trolls run amok and make polite conversation impossible for fear of being attacked then it's not much of a discussion site.

Not getting to call people racist epithets is a loss I'm willing to endure. :)
Some of your posts still give me the willies.

If you have a problem with me or someone else's posts counter it. I'm not writing to hear myself talk. I epxect discussion and arguement. But if your idea of that is just "give me the willies" well you're the kinda of person who doesn't need to be here. You're not discussing, you're trolling.

Not getting to call people racist epithets is a loss I'm willing to endure. :) But that's not the problem. It's what doesn't happen to the posters of that sort of garbage. Shouldn't even be here. And if all the negative vibes go away and the site's less fun then what amuses people is perhaps the wrong things. If a discussion site can't have productive discussions because trolls run amok and make polite conversation impossible for fear of being attacked then it's not much of a discussion site.

I disagree. It should be a place with a free exchange of ideas, whether you like or agree with those ideas or not.

If you have a problem with me or someone else's posts counter it. I'm not writing to hear myself talk. I epxect discussion and arguement. But if your idea of that is just "give me the willies" well you're the kinda of person who doesn't need to be here. You're not discussing, you're trolling.
You missed my point, no surprise there.

I disagree. It should be a place with a free exchange of ideas, whether you like or agree with those ideas or not.

Very little exchanging of ideas though. OP gets posted then it's variations of either "I agree" or "I hate this." After a while, to avoid drawing troll fire people who might be interesetd in the subject of the OP refrain from posting. That's where we're at right now. No one discusses much of anything unless in one of the frivolous sorta threads about pets and such :)

You missed my point, no surprise there.

If I missed your point it's because you didn't bother offering one. You just trolled instead. Exactly proof of concept for me.

Very little exchanging of ideas though. OP gets posted then it's variations of either "I agree" or "I hate this." After a while, to avoid drawing troll fire people who might be interesetd in the subject of the OP refrain from posting. That's where we're at right now. No one discusses much of anything unless in one of the frivolous sorta threads about pets and such :)

Ooohhh, I see. You're upset about how people treat you in the threads you start. Well, you must understand that the subject matter is quite disturbing to many people, and that is why they react to you in such a way, including myself.

Ooohhh, I see. You're upset about how people treat you in the threads you start. Well, you must understand that the subject matter is quite disturbing to many people, and that is why they react to you in such a way, including myself.

I expect and don't mind that. What's annoying though is instead of trying to discuss those threads people instead act like little kids taunting and jeering instead of debating. That's trolling, not offering a reasoned response. Besides, all my threads are backed by academic sources like PhDs. Your disagreements on the other hand coulda come from a special ed elementary class.

I expect and don't mind that. What's annoying though is instead of trying to discuss those threads people instead act like little kids taunting and jeering instead of debating. That's trolling, not offering a reasoned response. Besides, all my threads are backed by academic sources like PhDs. Your disagreements on the other hand coulda come from a special ed elementary class.

You make outrageous bogus claims and cherry pick through sites to find the ONE or TWO that might agree with your extreme views on children and sexuality, when all of the main reputable sites and sources disagree with your claims.

You make outrageous bogus claims and cherry pick through sites to find the ONE or TWO that might agree with your extreme views on children and sexuality, when all of the main reputable sites and sources disagree with your claims.

As again here, you and your troll buddies make counter assertions absent proof. Wanna link your reputable sites in which ever threads you have in mind go right ahead. But you never have. You just join the troll wagon and do that instead going for the cheap laugh from other trolls.

As a newbie, if I had to sum the site up in one word; that word would be, "Bi-Polar".

America is full of all kinds of people ... So is this site and I am secure enough with myself and what I believe I would like to keep it that way. We don't have the need to throw someone out the door because we don't like what someone says or how they say it ... Leave the Nanny State to people who cannot take care of themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back