Since we live in a country where a majority of Americans are in agreement............

Prove it.
You make it too easy. The Democratic Party platform:

Democrats oppose and will fight to overturn federal and state laws that create barriers to reproductive health and rights. We will repeal the Hyde Amendment, and protect and codify the right to reproductive freedom. We condemn acts of violence, harassment, and intimidation of reproductive health providers, patients, and staff. We will address the discrimination and barriers that inhibit meaningful access to reproductive health care services, including those based on gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, income, disability, geography, and other factors. Democrats oppose restrictions on medication abortion care that are inconsistent with the most recent medical and scientific evidence and that do not protect public health.

You make it too easy. The Democratic Party platform:

Democrats oppose and will fight to overturn federal and state laws that create barriers to reproductive health and rights. We will repeal the Hyde Amendment, and protect and codify the right to reproductive freedom. We condemn acts of violence, harassment, and intimidation of reproductive health providers, patients, and staff. We will address the discrimination and barriers that inhibit meaningful access to reproductive health care services, including those based on gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, income, disability, geography, and other factors. Democrats oppose restrictions on medication abortion care that are inconsistent with the most recent medical and scientific evidence and that do not protect public health.
Thanks for proving yourself wrong. Much appreciated.

I have nothing against democracy, but I do hate tyranny.
You define majority rule, which is democracy, as tyranny. That's already been established. You aren't exactly advancing the ball here, in case you hadn't noticed. But you're doing a good job of humiliating yourself.

You define majority rule, which is democracy, as tyranny. That's already been established. You aren't exactly advancing the ball here, in case you hadn't noticed. But you're doing a good job of humiliating yourself.
and you're doing a great job of proving you're crazy.

Hey, I have to hand it to you, you're very good at rhetorical deception.
LOL - Making a point you can't refute isn't "rhetorical deception".
I especially liked the catch phrase you whipped up to dismiss minority rule, "the majority is stymied by systemic limits to its power." Those systemic limits being the very things the thread is based on. The ones keeping the majority from establishing public policy that reflects their views. You could say the ones allowing the minority to establish public policy that instead reflects their views.

You could say that - but then you would be committing rhetorical deception. Supermajority requirements aren't "minority rule". Saying that it requires more than a majority to change the law isn't saying that the minority is in charge and gets to change the rules as they see fit. It's saying that neither side is in charge and gets to change the rules, unless they have a supermajority.

And it's a feature not a bug. It promotes consensus and stable government. It guards against wild policy changes every time the landscape tilts one percentage point in the other direction. I suspect you'll find a new appreciation for it when Republicans get their 51% and try to pass a federal abortion ban.

Last edited:
the way they are elected does not change what they represent.
It would have changed the political makeup of the Senate. And perhaps not caused the infection of turning states from one party to another done on purpose.

Supermajority requirements
With respect to constitutional amendments, supermajority requirements effectively protect the status quo...........which gives small states an unjustified amount of power to control federal policy.

"Saying that it requires more than a majority to change the law isn't saying that the minority is in charge"
And yet it is. If it wasn't federal policy on a number of issues would reflect the will of the majority.

With respect to constitutional amendments, supermajority requirements effectively protect the status quo...........which gives small states an unjustified amount of power to control federal policy.

"Saying that it requires more than a majority to change the law isn't saying that the minority is in charge"
And yet it is. If it wasn't federal policy on a number of issues would reflect the will of the majority.
And yet it isn't. You've skipped right over rhetorical deception and landed in empty nay-saying. Also ignored my other salient points, but that's par for the course.

Ultimately, this "minority rule" talking point is just what I said earlier - a deceptive phrase to use when you can't get your way via simple majority rule. It's meant to invoke the specter of a cabal of "rulers" imposing policy on the majority against their will. And that's a flat out lie. The minority can impose nothing. All they can do is block changes that don't have broad enough support to overcome the supermajority requirements.

Again - that's a good thing. Getting rid of it would be a mistake that would further undermine democracy.

Let's try to keep the discussion factual, shall we.

Did I miss Repubs offering legislation to establish term limits? I know I didn't miss Dems offering legislation to end gerrymandering........which Repubs oppose.

Dems have repeatedly proposed legislation helping to secure the border. One bill that passed in the Senate in 2013 but was rejected by House Repubs (actually Boehner refused to put the bill up for a vote) because it included a path to citizenship.

2/3 or more want an abortion ban in the 3rd trimester, want term limits in DC, want a balanced budget, and a secure border.

Facts are facts.

And it’s time our representatives make those things happen.

Two senators for each state was a concession to small states made at the founding in order to get them to ratify the Constitution. The Founders arguably never envisioned a situation like the disparate populations of CA and WY.
hhaha of course they did....states like VA and NY were massively populated compared to RI.

The founders were smart enough to recognize the need for a bi-cameral legislative body, one chamber represented the States, and all the States are equal in this Union....so all got two representatives, the other chamber represents the people, the House, and is based on the population.

The reality of this, is that it is suppose to force compromise, and that the wims of the populist simply isn't put into law...

Forum List

Back